winter trainer / light tourer

strodey
strodey Posts: 481
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi,

cut a long story short!

dont want to get my defy advanced messed up over winter but can no longer switch to my hard tail and go offroad due to bad wrists, so i want to buy a winter bike.

Is there such a bike that i could use for winter training without going too slow but will fit racks for panniers so i can use it for some light touring next summer? i have seen some comments on Kona Honky, and kona Jake. any others i should consider?

Any advice greatfully appreciated!
Carbon is a mans best freind

Comments

• I bought a 2010 Kona Honky Tonk for £600 from Wiggle in the sale. I must admit I was swayed by the retro looks, but it's also very practical. I'm running 25mm tyres with full SKS mudguards, and it also has rack mounts. It's a bit heavy but is really comfortable. Mine is pimped up with Campagnolo Centaur / Veloce drivetrain and Open Pro / Campag Centaur wheels, so it owes me a bit more than £600 now!

The Genesis Aether range is also worth a look, as they can also take 25mm tyres with guards. If you like building a bike up then the Salsa Casseroll and Surly Pacer are also worth considering.

There's plenty of options out there, it depends on your budget really.
    Alex
  • The Kinesis TK will fot your needs. See what they say about it here.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 8905?img=4
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 for the Kinesis TK. That's wot I got as a year round bike. (it's now called the TK2; just a different paint job) Mudguard and rack mounts / clearance, but still pretty light and rides like a proper road bike.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    +2 for any Kinesis.

I have the Kinesis Granfondo, this is the expensive training frame and the retail is about £750, but I got mine for £620, all I can say is that I prefer riding it than my Look 585 Carbon, it is just so comfortable, takes full mudguards and a rack and the whole bike with Record throughout and Fulcrum 5's comes in at just under 8kgs, not bad for a Scandium frame!
  • Enigma Etape for a bit of versatile Ti action.

I have only had mine a couple of weeks (bought as commuter / winter / tourer) and I love it. Takes full rack & guards. Smooth ride which climbs well and is nice and tight on the descents... lovely company to deal with also.
  • Planet-X Kaffenback, does very nicely in this respect.
  • ynyswen24 wrote:
    Planet-X Kaffenback, does very nicely in this respect.

Just received mine. 900 Quid with Ultegra. In process of fitting guards and rack.

Nice bit of kit. Looks tough.
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • +3 for the Kinesis TK. Takes full guards and has mounts for a rack but still rides like a proper road bike and as Slow and Old says Kinesis frames ride better than a lot of carbon exotica. My TK is used for everything from commuting to Sportives. The only problem it will give you is it could well put you off riding your Defy.
  • tigerben wrote:
    Enigma Etape for a bit of versatile Ti action.

I have only had mine a couple of weeks (bought as commuter / winter / tourer) and I love it. Takes full rack & guards. Smooth ride which climbs well and is nice and tight on the descents... lovely company to deal with also.

+1 if your budget allows
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos