Brian Smith interview on Velonation

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Yes, I know he hangs out here (hi Brian) but it's worth a read

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5788/ ... Nation.com)&utm_content=Brizzly
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    He makes some excellent points regarding Sky in there. Interesting viewpoint.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think he's been sucked into the usual self hating Brit syndrome as far as Sky are concern - particularly with regards to Ben Swift at Katusha. That team tried to make all their riders sign a new - probably illegal - anti doping contract, with a ridiculous x5 salary penalty.

Steegmans didn't sign it and left. Swift can rightfully claim that the terms of his contract had been changed a lot and stepped out of it. Katusha broke the crontract first, not Swift.

And as to Wiggins, I'm fairly sure that Vaughters was always going to allow Wiggins to leave, he was just using techniques (standard in football) to maximize his pay off.

It's amazing how many cycling fans take the side of the bosses over the workers in contract situations. Thatcherists down to their cleats.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Frankly Rich, that's bullsh*t. Contracts work both ways and it's always possible to renegotiate the terms. If, and we assume he is as he's British, Swift is clean then what's he got to lose by agreeing to the modified terms?

Swift had no complaints about his treatment at Katusha and they'd given him a leadership role in many races in his first season as a pro. That's rare and, given his results, they'd have continued that this season. Instead he's gone to Sky where he's hardly been seen bar the Tour of Picardie.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    RichN95 wrote:
    Thatcherists down to their cleats.

:lol: brilliant Rich
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    Frankly Rich, that's bullsh*t. Contracts work both ways and it's always possible to renegotiate the terms. If, and we assume he is as he's British, Swift is clean then what's he got to lose by agreeing to the modified terms?

Swift had no complaints about his treatment at Katusha and they'd given him a leadership role in many races in his first season as a pro. That's rare and, given his results, they'd have continued that this season. Instead he's gone to Sky where he's hardly been seen bar the Tour of Picardie.

He has a point though with regard to the contract why should he sign such a draconian contract ? i dont think it really matters the fact that he would be considerecd clean. I have a contract at work and if my employer came along and tried to change it without my agreeing to it then the contract is breached. If we go along with your way of it then whats to stop an employer putting in even more draconian terms as and when they see fit ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    But they wouldn't be in breach of contract, rather they are seeking to change it, and the vast majority of employment contracts are clear in stating that changes to terms and conditions can be made, sometimes without the consent of the employee. It's a technicality but for Swift to claim his contract was breached wouldn't be true. It was probably unenforceable anyway, as the Steegmans episode showed.

FWIW, I think the Katusha contract was despicable, especially given the pressure the team management put on riders to win races, but I'd still tend to agee with Brian that Swift would have had a better year if he'd stayed at Katusha as he would have had more opportunities.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Swift was a neo-pro and should have stayed until his two years were up, although granted I wouldn't have felt comfortable with the contract they had to sign.
    There's a reason neo-pros sign for two years, and it set a precedent.
  • andyp wrote:

This is a big concern about Team Sky where riders move from a good team where they have been progressing as was the case with Swift. Are Sky doing more harm than good to the likes of Swift with their inexperienced management team. I have concerns about Dowsett joining them; would he have been better working with the experienced Bruyneel and Lance rather than Sky's track managers.

Please, please Cav stay at HTC where you win races.