New to MTBing...do's n don't's ?

2»

Comments

• I hope you guys all have support vehichles as well.

Yes, they have two wheels, and are ridden by these things called 'friends' :wink:

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If I made my friends carry all my stuff for me, or vice versa, then that state of affairs wouldn't last long.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Personaly its all about a camelback with all my tools in the other pcket of the bag.... pump, tube's multitool and other kit.... i wear bagies over lycra most of the time, and a tech tee, i always wear a Helmet (duh) and sometimes wear gloves if its cold... i wear knee pads and shin guards if the trail is particularily "gnarly" or i dont know it.

most of all have fun... its very diferent to road riding, and needs to be aproached with a diferent mindset IMHO... more of a "lets go and hav a laf, push my limits and enjoy" rather than the fitness and disance oriented world of road.... ill often ride only 10 or 15 k in a ride.... its more about the fun and skills.

also, dont try to replicate the speed and other things of the roady, on the descents drop the saddle and have a play. oh, and watch some mtb vids (i recoment Seasons) to get you "stoked to ride"

most of all, enjoy it.

:)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • If I made my friends carry all my stuff for me, or vice versa, then that state of affairs wouldn't last long.

You need to get some better friends.

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    belugabob wrote:
    If I made my friends carry all my stuff for me, or vice versa, then that state of affairs wouldn't last long.

His only friend was banned three times last week.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    belugabob wrote:

You seriously expect your mates to carry all your shite when you're riding?
  • We don't carry shite - just the stuff that will rescue a ride.(and cake) if you forget something, one of your friends will usually have what you need.

• Anonymous
    belugabob wrote:
    We don't carry shite - just the stuff that will rescue a ride.(and cake) if you forget something, one of your friends will usually have what you need.
    Which is different to expecting your friends to carry stuff for you, isn't it? :roll:

I still maintain that as usefull as spares are, they're not NEEDED to enjoy yourself. I don't walking with a mobile cobbling kit in case my shoes get damaged. I don't drive around with a full garage worth of tools in my car.
  • I agree that you don't NEED spares, but they certainly reduce the chance of a ride being ruined. This applies especially so to novices, as they can find a ride frustrating and hard works, so don't need a long cold walk home added to the equation.

Let's just give the guy our opinion, and let him tailor the suggestions to his own needs.

• Anonymous
    I'd quite happilly just let him tailor our opinions to his needs, but this kind of shit pisses me off.
    Dubcat wrote:
    Yeehaa what a pile of balls.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    Yeehaa - awww man i just forgot the smiley is all!!! :) I was joking man - i apologise if it caused offence. I'll delete that line from my original post :)

Anyway - I think we are actually in violent agreement man!

We agree that its not good to make your friends carry all your shit.
    That's why I'm recommending the guy watch that video and think about carrying some of that shit himself :)

Can we have a hug now please?

Love , peace and chicken grease.
    Dub
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • you will obviously not get the performance on the road so do not worry about it.

Personally I do not use a computer. From my road experience i remember they were important but do not find them as much so now. The different terrain means you will struggle to maintain constants as you can on the road, and trails have known distances. If you are out and about then the piece of string on the map can soon indicate what you have done......

Look at the time you start and the time you finish and try and do better next time..........
  • here's what I carry, its the same for a day ride or a three day ride:

camelback (2l) just water for rides upto 3 hrs, 50:50 mix with flat lucozade for full day rides
    multitool
    pump
    innertube
    puncture repair kit
    spare set of brake pads
    chocolate & flapjack
    mini chain tool
    waterproof jacket (unless its the height of summer)
    phone
    car keys
    wallet
    roll ups

the above can all fit in a camelback rouge. I have used all items above at least once over the last year.

i wear an old football tee with baggies over lycra shorts / full legth bibs in depest winter (or Wales) waterproof socks and gloves.

my mates carry the rest of it :wink:
  • mtb riders are a lot less image concious than roadies sound.
    if you were seen on a trail with bottles in cages, no one would notice
    if you were seen on a trail with a camelback, no one would notice
    if you had a pump mounted to you bike, no one would notice.
    if you were wearing a race team replica outfit, no one would notice
    if that outfit was made of shorts which didnt match the jersey, no on would notice.
    if your pedals arent pointing in the right direction when you post a picture of your bike, no one will notice
    f your stem isnt turned upside down, no one will notice.

above all, no one will care but we will all hope you have an ace time on you mountain bike, welcome aboard :D

This is very true, being the attention whore I am, I try my very best to get noticed on the trails.........

bike_guy.jpg

It's just not working though. :cry: