Canary Islands

garetjax
garetjax Posts: 175
edited November 2010 in Tour & expedition
The wife is on about Canary Isles January. Not chose an island yet.

Is there any decent cycling that is remotely like Pollensa in Mallorca? Ideally with a quaility bike hire place so that I don't need to lug my own out there. Somewhere near a beach for the wife...

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• We're located in Tenerife. Check the link in my sig for further info.

Advantage over Mallorca is that there are bigger climbs here (2300m) and the weather is better in the Canaries than the Balearic islands in January. :wink:
  • Lanzarote is always another good destination.

There are cycle hire shops in Playa Blanca, Puerto Del Carmen and Costa Teguise (the main resorts).

There are plenty of great rides with great roads, and you can do a good circuit of the island if your up for it.

Never cycled Tenerife, but it's deffo on the list. That ride from Las Americas up to Mount Teide is one on the 'list to be done' !

Enjoy !!
    :D
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • I'm heading out to lanzerote at the end of november and am planning on hiring a bike in playa blanca, I am a newbe novice cyclist but does anyone have any recomended routes around the south of the island!
    I will be on holiday with my girlfriend so wont be able to go galavanting all day, most likely 3 or 4 hours in the mornings.
    I quite fancy riding up that volcano, would that be do able?

Bobby
    getting faster, fitter, and skinnier by the day!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Cycling to the base of the volcano is easy - there is also some offroad up to the base of the cone - after it is fresh lava blocks - definately foot only - apart from the steep angle they would cut your tyres to pieces in a few minutes. Bear in mind also that the base of the volcano is at nearly 3000m so make allowances for the altitude
  • mrjinx
    mrjinx Posts: 38
    If your going to Gran Canaria check out Free Motion. I go every other year very well organized usually in a group of 8-10 mostly German but most speak English and all friendly
    You ride out with a Swiss guy {Patrick} on a planned route stopping off at small out of the tourist area cafes for a coffee/coke
    You can also hire the bike all is listed on their web site the links below.
    I’m going with the wife in June 2011 she stays by the pool I go cycling for 5 days 3-5 hours on smooth pothole free quiet roads in the sun and having the second week by the pool. Looking out of the window at the rain streaming down this morning I cant wait till June!
    Very much recommended.

http://www.free-motion.net/en/road/tour ... edule.html
    its only money
  • I took my road bike to Tenerife just after Christmas a couple of years ago.I was told that Tenerife had the best weather in the Canaries at that time of year.

I can highly recommend the route through Masca, challenging climbs and stunning scenery.

As already mentioned the road from Las Americas to Teide is another classic.

Nothing like leaving the overshoes at home and feeling the sun on oyur back.
  • ohara227
    ohara227 Posts: 225
    I went to Fuerteventura in May and loved it, its flat and top to bottom on a bike could be done in a day. Bit sandy so need to keep bike clean, but awsome views!
    'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
    Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
    Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2