Is it safe..??

ollie_lucas1985
ollie_lucas1985 Posts: 325
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Ok so I did look through the topic headders and couldnt find a real home for it but my question but here it is..

Well I dont have any cycling buddies that go out or even own a bike so I cycle on my own all the time, which may I add I like..

but the question really is would I be safe going to trail centers on my own with no buddy to look out for me? I'm fairly new to trail riding.. e.g. i've never been before

I'm not near any trail centers so I would have to stop over somewhere as there a fair old drive..

What about the peak district or somewhere not many people go, I'm thinking this isnt a good idea..?

Ollie

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    many folk ride alone , through choice or otherwise.
    has its pro's and con's just like riding in a group.
    its completely safe , just be prepared ( phone , food , spares , check weather , carry maps etc, etc.)
    no probs at trail centres as there's nearly always other riders using the tracks , especially at wk-ends.
    rode gisburn forest alone a while back on a weekday virtually no-one else there but didn't feel unsettled in any way , just ride within your limits.
    would think twice about doing any DH or jumps alone though.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    edited September 2010
    Depend if I'm there at the time (I throw sticks into people's spokes :twisted: )

Seriously though I think you'd be safe enough, I go around Cannock most weekends on my own as well as up to the Peak district. There's normally plenty of people around especially at Cannock.

I'd be a bit more wary of going on my own at night (but that's because I'm a chicken :) )

• neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    I go buy my self also ( No friends)

Usually to whinlatter which is only 20 mins away. i have took the wife once and she wandered round the shop buying stuff.
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • Work shifts so solo riding is a big part of my riding,lucky enough to live within half an hour of the lake district though.

Know your limits,take enough kit to keep warm,fed,watered and be able to treat minor injuries and you will be fine.

Tell someone where you are going and expected time back so they can call for help if you are significantly late.

PS if you are lucky you might have someone on here nearby to go riding with.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I ride solo a lot... Basically I'm still out to improve my fitness and that means less faff breaks so I try and do as many solo rides as group rides. The thought tends to be at the back of my head, how long will I lie here if I knock myself out, but when you think of the actual risk of that happening, it's always slim. I wouldn't want to ride in genuine back-country wilderness solo, not on challenging ground anyway but most places someone will be along sooner or later. Even if you do yourself an injury fairly few injuries are truly immobilising if you're desperate enough, too.

Just make sure someone knows where you are, carry a mobile but don't depend on it, know some emergency contacts- ie rangers or similiar if applicable- and apply common sense. But it's not reckless or anything. Now, riding purely on the basis that if you maim yourself someone will help, that's reckless ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    I often ride alone too, i'd echo what people have said above. Being prepared is very important. A couple of chain links, some odd bolts and some spare brake pads wont take up much space in your pack but could save you a very long slow walk!!

I would add that it also depends which trail centre you have in mind. Skyline at Afan on a weekday might not be a good idea but Cwmcarn on a sunday would be different because if you do have a problem you wont be alone for more than a few minutes until someone else comes along the trail.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • If you're riding by yourself. chances are you won't find any of the hard stuff or anything you can't do until you're ready
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I ride a lot on my own.

Partly for fitness but mostly because I don't have many people to ride with :cry:

I don't ever feel unsafe or unsettled, its nice being able to ride at your own pace with no other pressure, just ride within (or just over in some cases :lol: ) your limits and be aware of the risks and always carry a phone but as already said, don't depend entirely on it
  • Yep I ride alone, I'm a bit odd, trail centres are full of people looking out for one another when I ride at weekends.

I don't really ride hard anyway... Just ride to enjoy myself.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • farnham is quite near the surrey hills (holmbury, pitch, and leith hill) and swinley forest (near Bracknell) i think, so no need to go as far as the peak district. as long as your bike works, you have basic first aid, and a mobile, you should be fine.
  • Get out to Long Valley/Twesledown - loads of good riding there.

Keith
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I'd be more wary solo riding in the peaks than at a trail centre, but I'd probably still do it (and have, when I think about it).

Just make sure someone knows your route, and has some idea what sort of time you should be back.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Riding trail centres on your own is pretty ok, the trails are mostly safety approved and you're not too likely to have a massive crash, depending on what you're riding, skill level etc and there tends to be a fair amount of traffic. However, wilderness riding on your own is inadvisable, especially if you don't know the area too well as there may not be a lot of traffic around if you do have an accident and conditions can get very bad very quickly in some places (north wales, scotland, the lakes etc), if you do, at least inform someone of your route and what time you think you should be back.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I ride very quiet natural trails on my own. I'm always aware of the possibility of being incapacitated and not being able to get help. But the wilderness feeling is part of the attraction and if there are people around you don't get the same kick.

I know that's not the answer you're looking for but the safer you make it the less exciting it is. I'm always telling people that one day I'll just disappear and my remains will be found weeks later 'gnawed by wild animals'. Gotta go somehow!
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i tend to ride alone all the time as im so rubbish i dont want to inflict others with my webboness. perfectly safe i would say.
  • Sounds like you need someone to ride with. Try routes and riding on here, your LBS, local clubs and wotnot. I thought i was alone and then found out that loads of people I know and work with ride mountain bikes quite often.
  • I find it safer cycling alone on a trail than having to cycle a couple of miles to work each morning.
    Theirs always someone about at trail that will help.
    I got knocked off by a taxi driver and he laughed and drove off.
    Wont be laughing when he is in court now will he?
  • Yea i've been to the surrey hills and done summer lightening and stuff and swinley quite regually, but I get phone signal there and its local so Im not to botherd..

I would be looking at Afran first as its only about 3 hour drive for me, the others we will have to see - Glad I'm not the only one who likes going on their own..

I know about spares.. but someone said some spare brake pads? .. Thats extreme!!

oh and keith1200rs - wheres long vally?
  • Long Valley is the military land around Twesledown & Caesar's Camp. I used to live in Church Crookham and rode there 4 or 5 times a week. Good fun. Depending on where you are in Farnham you could ride there without needing to get the car out.

Keith
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I almost always ride alone due to timings mainly, even go to the local jumps spot, but always have spairs, frst aid kit (that I know how to use) and phone but always wear enough protection AND make sure someone knows where I will be and when they should see/hear from me just in case things go wrong.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Oh long vally.. is that really what its called? Yes I live about 5 mins from there and cycle there often, It does get abit boring going the same routes though - Been cycling there for years on my own..

I'm keen to get out to some trails as i've never really been!!

I want to go to afran :) - Might not the best one to do first but we shall see!!
  • Yes, Long Valley. It can be challenging if you get adventurous - I have the scars to prove it.

I never answered your original question but nothing is totally 'safe'. I always ride alone, often miles from a road and with no phone coverage. I ride cautiously because I know if anything happens I am on my own. No one knows exactly where I am because I don't know what route I am going to take when I set off. Having fun has risks - that's why you do it. To quote the John Prine song "... you're going to die of boredom, Safety Joe..." - not me.

Have fun.

Keith
  • bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    If you're riding by yourself. chances are you won't find any of the hard stuff or anything you can't do until you're ready

And if you find something that's a bit hairy, there's no-one to see you get off and push around it.