Learnings

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I read a report this morning with a sub-title ‘Peer Learnings’. Just heard ‘key learnings’ used twice in a conversation behind me. I might be blue skyings, but why can’t people just f’ing leverage the word - lessons.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ah, beloved buzz-word bingo :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    You just need to be re-smarted, thats all ;-)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Learnings, blue skying, leverage, word lessons.

My head hurts I read that time dialation I think I've spent too much time thinking outside the box....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:

My head hurts I read that time dialation I think I've spent too much time thinking outside the box....
    Does that box have Schrödinger's cat in it? Crowded in there, so I'm told
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You'll need to look to find out, but then the whole idea collapses....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'll conceptualize your bleeding edge in a future-proof way, maximising your Total Quality Driven, best-of-breed, synergy in a minute young man.

Or just solutionize it.

:roll:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • *shudder*

I'm a leadership consultant, and much of this still makes my skin crawl :D
  • cee
    *shudder*

A what? That just sounds like another buzzword! :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    My workplace isn't that bad yet, but they do have a tendency to reach out and touch base a lot
  • cee
    kelsen wrote:
    My workplace isn't that bad yet, but they do have a tendency to reach out and touch base a lot

Thats just the start. And its a downward spiral from there.....

I am fortunate, in that in our company...we actually play the bingo game on conf calls.....

It's always our clients who come out with the words....

My favourite game is asking them what they mean by synergy.

The answer invariably contains lots of..."its the emmmm....uhhhhh....connection for....context...erm........well you know....the synergy"...

Ahhh...that makes it much clearer....thanks!

but do you not just mean that....if we work together..we can do stuff...that neither of us could do individually?

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:
    *shudder*

A what? That just sounds like another buzzword! :wink:

I help people get better at being leaders. But that takes longer to say :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You want buzzwords? You can't handle the busswords!

http://whatthefuckismysocialmediastrategy.com/

I'm currently using this site to help me write a presentation. I've used it a number of times so far and no-one has noticed.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:

Fantastic! that's my next presentation sorted!
  • I had a user ask me the other day if I could show her how to save a PDF as text as "It's always good to up-skill"

WTF!

Like others on here I think I die a little every time I hear (and in some cases use....) that bl00dy lingo
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Asprilla wrote:

I'm currently using this site to help me write a presentation. I've used it a number of times so far and no-one has noticed.

I might try this too. On my uncle. Who owns an ad agency (and is annoying)
  • cee
    I had a user ask me the other day if I could show her how to save a PDF as text as "It's always good to up-skill"

WTF!

Like others on here I think I die a little every time I hear (and in some cases use....) that bl00dy lingo

One can only marvel in wonder at the current skills of a person to whom the ability to save a pdf as text...is moving upwards in direction...

:D

H.G. Wells.
  • jonginge
    Asprilla wrote:

20917_gal.jpg
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Asprilla wrote:

Fantastic! that's my next presentation sorted!

That is simply brilliant. :)
  • cee wrote:
    I had a user ask me the other day if I could show her how to save a PDF as text as "It's always good to up-skill"

WTF!

One can only marvel in wonder at the current skills of a person to whom the ability to save a pdf as text...is moving upwards in direction...

She's the PA to the Execs ffs......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I saw that "learnings" one crop up a couple of weeks ago, and quietly removed it from the presentation. At the time I assumed it was because the person who wrote it is a French Spaniard.

Current top of my hate list is "socialize", as in "have you socialized that idea with marketing?".
    Argh !
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Asprilla wrote:

Shite and there I was thinking 25 years of industry experience was all I needed.

You live and learn :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cee wrote:

WTF!

She's the PA to the Execs ffs......

Dude those are called EAs these days, I luv em!

yummy :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't...you'll only know when you look in......
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    JonGinge wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

20917_gal.jpg

why a picture of Freddy Mercury???
  • She's the PA to the Execs ffs......

Has she got big t*ts?

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2010
    People I work with are more down to earth.

My fave has been "we need to pick this problem up by the tail and really sniff its arse".

Yeah. Form an orderly queue, and off we go.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • She's the PA to the Execs ffs......

Has she got big t*ts?

alas no

@g66 - I actually did LOL at that, I'm picturing it being said by the manager in The IT Crowd :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cee wrote:

Getting data out of PDFs is not as easy as you'd hope; if your PDF has a table of data, especially one spread across several pages, it's actually very hard to get that data out in any format that you can use (eg. a spreadsheet or database). Also some PDF-creation software mangles the order of different text blocks on the page. :cry:
  • JiveSinger wrote:
    cee wrote:

Getting data out of PDFs is not as easy as you'd hope; if your PDF has a table of data, especially one spread across several pages, it's actually very hard to get that data out in any format that you can use (eg. a spreadsheet or database). Also some PDF-creation software mangles the order of different text blocks on the page. :cry:

I was lucky in her instance as all she wanted to do was copy a PDF document out to plain text. I had a bit more fun when I had some datasheets sent out that someone wanted converting into a Word document.

Without going out and buying Adobe Professional which does apparently have the right export function I had to get creative! Luckily OpenOffice and it's PDF Import plugin did a reasonable job, I was able to save each page of the PDF datasheets as a picture after importing them :-) I had to correct a couple of minor formatting issues on one but for free you can't really argue!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • We have a suoervisor that speaks like this, meetings are regularly interrupted by one or other of us shouting house.

The one that brings on the red mist and urge to kill is 'Action'

as in can you action that customer contact for me.

no I F*&£ing can't. I'll ring the bloke up though.

I tend to put on a dumb look and keep saying pardon until he reverts to English.