How to get ahead in advertising....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
After just giving a presentation to a delegation of execs.....I concluded that sales/marketing people should not answer technical queries from customers as it causes loss of money and almight f*ck ups.....simples :-)

However, I did remind myself of a few adverts that have stuck in my mind over the years....Are their ads that stick in your mind?

This is the one that came to my mind.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTh6r15FWf0

Comments

• Sales. Marketing. Advertising. Three completely different disciplines that techies sometimes get confused about ;)
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    my wife works in advertising, she is on a car account, they also hire engineers to make sure this issue does not arise. Engineers handle the techy stuff, ad guys advertise.
    FCN 12
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    This is my favourite ad, works brilliantly.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Sales. Marketing. Advertising. Three completely different disciplines that techies sometimes get confused about ;)

Interestingly, the question was about favourite ads......so, I think the point was missed, poor marketing strategy to not listen to the question.

Sales, Marketing and Advertising - three disciplines that are always the first to be made redundant when the financial chop comes......funny old world innit.....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm an engineer in technical sales.......hmm does that make me a hybrid?

Favourite ad of all time was the 'Carlos Fandango wheels' Hamlet advertisement bom bom bom...
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    After just giving a presentation to a delegation of execs.....I concluded that sales/marketing people should not answer technical queries from customers as it causes loss of money and almight f*ck ups.....simples :-)

However, I did remind myself of a few adverts that have stuck in my mind over the years....Are their ads that stick in your mind?

This is the one that came to my mind.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTh6r15FWf0

That doesn't work well as an advert as it doesn't anchor 'Whitefish' in the memory of the viewer. Funny thing is I now want to get a Budweisser.

After the first advert for Perle de Lait, I thought there couldn't possibly be a more annoying. After the second, I stood corrected. Good advert in terms of public awareness. Bad advert in terms of I want to shoot whoever created it. :wink:
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mate of mine works for The Mill and their showreel (particularly 2009) looks like 'Best Adverts Award' compilation:
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    SamWise72 wrote:
    Sales. Marketing. Advertising. Three completely different disciplines that techies sometimes get confused about ;)

Interestingly, the question was about favourite ads......so, I think the point was missed, poor marketing strategy to not listen to the question.

Sales, Marketing and Advertising - three disciplines that are always the first to be made redundant when the financial chop comes......funny old world innit.....

Heheheh - as a man with a sales background (could you tell from my response?), I've NEVER known sales to be made redundant. If you do, how will you get any more sales? Marketing and Advertising, I'd agree. I was always very technically knowledgable, of course.....

Favourite advert. Hmmm.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Asprilla wrote:
    Mate of mine works for The Mill and their showreel (particularly 2009) looks like 'Best Adverts Award' compilation:
    My flatmate is a VFX artist in their commercials department.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Not my favourite advert, but in my mind, one of the best ever made because it tells you what the product does and sticks in the mind in not too annoying a way is.....

Shake and Vac

How many of you still remember the words to that ad?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Shake and Vac

Hmmm... OK, here goes.

It's all you have to do
    Do the Shake & Vac and put the freshness back
    When your carpets smell fresh, your room does too
    Every time you vacuum, remember what to do...

Looks pretty accurate to me. I don't recall all the preamble to the song though. Something about "bad smells up here often come from down there." By "down there", I'm pretty sure she means her carpet. No, the other carpet.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

The do excellent work and by all accounts they are a great company to work for.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Agent57 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Shake and Vac

Hmmm... OK, here goes.

It's all you have to do
    When your carpets smell fresh, your room does too
    Every time you vacuum, remember what to do...

Looks pretty accurate to me. I don't recall all the preamble to the song though. Something about "bad smells up here often come from down there." By "down there", I'm pretty sure she means her carpet. No, the other carpet.

Gotta give you at least 8.5 out of 10 for that, but 10 out of 10 for the original ad. Highly memorable. Give the writer a wowipop.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Asprilla wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

The do excellent work and by all accounts they are a great company to work for.
    Is that first hand or through your friend? Not that I'm disputing it, just being nosey. :P
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    This is my favourite view on advertising

...Satan's little helpers.

Oh errr... Not Safe For Work
    FCN = 4