Fox telescopic seat post !!!

Mark_K
Mark_K Posts: 666
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Look like FOX are finally going to bring out a adjustable seat post ....should be one to look out for !
p4pb5665649.jpg
Picture from Pinkbike taken at interbike 2010
Its an early prototype of the DOSS - Drop On Steep Shit ...great name lol

Comments

• *puts the order for the Reverb on hold* 8)
  • No doubt if it's made by Fox it will need servicing every 10 minutes at a cost roughly equal to what you paid for it only to be completed by a select number of Fox approved workshops.

I'll stick with my Joplin, at least until there are some solid reports about the Reverb.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'll stick with my Joplin

IRONY
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    Northwind wrote:
    I'll stick with my Joplin

IRONY

:lol:

I was looking at this too. One of these is something I will be getting in the future and for me RS has to be the first choice if I have to pick one without seeing them in the flesh. But the fox one does look nice. So does their new titanium and tapered steerer all in one crown 8)

what they need is a sensor in the fork that detects the wheels are off the ground or the bike it pointing downhill and it drops for you for those times you forget - like when you launch the bike off a drop off and realise the fork is locked out while flying through the air (thank RS for poplock!)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wonder what they will finally name it? The 'Bandwagon'?
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    supersonic wrote:
    Wonder what they will finally name it? The 'Bandwagon'?

LOL :D:D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    No doubt if it's made by Fox it will need servicing every 10 minutes at a cost roughly equal to what you paid for it only to be completed by a select number of Fox approved workshops.

I'll stick with my Joplin, at least until there are some solid reports about the Reverb.

In fairness....loads of places will service your fox product for you....just if you need to use the warranty after using an un-approved workshop...it will be more difficult...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Mark_K
    Well the way i look at it is the more choice there is the more effort the manufacturer will have to put in to get the product right ? And with big guys like Spesh, fox and RS getting involved the dropper posts can only get better and better :) And lighter hopfully :)
  • My reverb has been on order for about 3 months now...

The fox one sounds a bit half-ar$ed in comparison to the features on the rs one, i wonder what fittings i'll need to fit braided line to the reverb though...
  • Mark_K
    My reverb has been on order for about 3 months now...
    i wonder what fittings i'll need to fit braided line to the reverb though...

LOL Tart ...................OK I'm jealous realy :oops:
  • Andy!
    I want to see one built into a frame.

do away with the outer tube and seat post clamp.
  • Andy! wrote:
    So does their new titanium and tapered steerer all in one crown 8)

Looks very cool, but I wonder just how far into 4 figures the final fork will cost...
  • Andy!
    Andy! wrote:
    So does their new titanium and tapered steerer all in one crown 8)

Looks very cool, but I wonder just how far into 4 figures the final fork will cost...

if you have to ask....
  • I'll stick with my Joplin, at least until there are some solid reports about the Reverb.

+potato..

And it's amazing how RockShox and Fox are late to the party on this, you'd believe all things up and down/suspension wise being their bread and butter they would have innovated this type of product.

Being a Fox product I'd expect to consult the bank manager to finance one..
  • seat post lowering jessys the lot of you
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    All you guys realise that one of the original 'droppers' was made by a suspension company (Maverik) and that wasn't exactly very good or reliable so don't go automatically assuming that just because its made by RS or Fox its going to be the best ever.

And equally don't go bashing it because you prefer one company over another, wait for it to be properly tested then make a real descision whether it is good or not
  • peter413 wrote:
    And equally don't go bashing it because you prefer one company over another, wait for it to be properly tested then make a real descision whether it is good or not
    Are you new to the internet?
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    peter413 wrote:
    Are you new to the internet?

And what are you meaning by that. You mean it has been tested for a few hours by a magazine or tested by their pro riders but serviced after every ride basically.

That isn't proper testing, proper testing is real world testing by real world people in real world conditions with a long time between services
  • Northwind
    That was the sound of a joke going over someone's head I think :lol:

Thing is though, Rockshox and Fox are great suspension companies. Maverick, not so much, and considerably worse at the time. And then they had a sprinkling of unreliability pixie dust from the dreaded Crank Bros too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    atleast the joplins dont look as ugly as those webbo looking gravity droppers.
  • Northwind wrote:
    That was the sound of a joke going over someone's head I think :lol:

Thing is though, Rockshox and Fox are great suspension companies. Maverick, not so much, and considerably worse at the time. And then they had a sprinkling of unreliability pixie dust from the dreaded Crank Bros too.

TBH my Joplin has been flawless in two years of ownership
    Do a Search and you'll see how many Joplin owners will echo my sentiments on the Joplin's reliability

I am sure Fox's product will be very reliable too, but they're late to the party with their product, almost three years late, so I ask: Did it take that long for them to develop a product or are Fox seeking an alternative revenue stream by climbing aboard the bandwagon?
  • Northwind
    Do a Search and you'll see how many Joplin owners will echo my sentiments on the Joplin's reliability

Yup, and I bet I won't find a single horror story, or anyone who says "My Joplin's reliable, I wrapped an inner tube round it" or "My joplin's reliable, I strip and service it every wet ride" :?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:

Yup, and I bet I won't find a single horror story, or anyone who says "My Joplin's reliable, I wrapped an inner tube round it" or "My joplin's reliable, I strip and service it every wet ride" :?

this is true, i tried an inner tube for a bit and when it gets wet gain, i'll do it again. ive only had to strip mine once but it was getting a bit sticky, it still worked but a couple more rides would have seen it start to seize i reckon.

luckily its not hard to do but i dont understand why there is such an issue with sealing, yet there is.

either way, id rather have one and spend ten minutes servicing it than go without or have a gopping awkward to use gravity dropper.

the thing which turned me of the reverb was the fact that it uses hydraulics between the lever and seatpost as im certain it wouldnt be long enough for the way i route my cable, i run my remote under the bb then along the down tube. its easy to replace the issued cable with a longer inner and outer, im guessing it will be more faff to fit a longer hydraulic cable.
  • J273
    J273 Posts: 382
    Without me starting a new thread,Thought id ask here.

Can anyone tell me will any inner ger cable fit the joplin?..Also can anyone tell me what outer size cable i need ,as it seems thinner than standard gear cable?

Many thanks
  • Anonymous
    any inner will fit and i use regular outer without an end cap fitted, it wedges itself in place, i hadnt considered using a thinner outer to be honest.
  • J273
    J273 Posts: 382
    Thanks feller....Ill try a regular outer ,just looked as though it would be too thick.
  • Anonymous
    peter413 wrote:
    All you guys realise that one of the original 'droppers' was made by a suspension company (Maverik) and that wasn't exactly very good or reliable so don't go automatically assuming that just because its made by RS or Fox its going to be the best ever.
    Maverik were bloody terrible, though, TERRIBLE I say.
    I think it's fiar to have some excitement around the reverb and this, finally someone who really know what they're doing are playing their hand.