silent rear hub - do they still make them?

stanescoo
stanescoo Posts: 18
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
First post here, good day to you all!

I'm planning to build a bike from scratch in the next months. Cro-mo hardtail. Will surely be back here with further questions, but 'till then: what silent rear hubs do you recommend?

I have a silent clutch on my old genesis workhorse and just love it, wouldn't want the new one to clickclickclick like mad, as i see is the trend nowadays... so what recommendations do yo have, others than "grease a lot" :)

thanks a lot!

Comments

• The Formula hubs my Voodoo Bokor came with are thankfully silent :)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Don't buy a Hope, they sound like one of those spinny clicker things they used to have at football matches
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Don't buy a Hope, they sound like one of those spinny clicker things they used to have at football matches

They don't sound that bad - and actually sound awesome downhill fast!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • I cannot hear my old mavic hubs, shimano are fairly quiet as well.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Paul 8v wrote:

Yeh, Hope hubs are notoriously loud.

Shimano's are pretty quiet. My XT hub is almost silent.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most hubs are pretty quiet.

Hopes etc are noisy so everyone knows that the owner is special.

That's my theory anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I have hopes.. I find them useful if I'm on canal paths, the rear one doubles up as a good horn. However, sometimes they annoy the hell out of me. (Didn't buy them separate, they came with my old bike.. given the choice, I would probably have silent hubs too, but until they break, I'm keeping them).

Still, I guess that:
    128777403434407011.jpg
    Sadly, it's true. :lol:
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    :lol:

hope hubs are fecking annoying to everyone else around you!

I saw something about a new silent hub last month but can't remember what make so that is pretty useless information.
  • I ride with 3 others - We all have Hope Rears, it is a bit of a joke if we all free wheel!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • gone from a halo combat (which isnt quite as loud as my freinds pro2) to the superstar switch hub and its not silent, but its really quiet.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Not an MTB'er, but my Shimano DA hubs are quiet as a mouse. Would assume that it would be the same on their MTB hubs. Please note the word "assume". :wink::wink:
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    LjStronge wrote:
    I ride with 3 others - We all have Hope Rears, it is a bit of a joke if we all free wheel!

:lol: I know the feeling, 1 other mate has hopes, and 2 have Chris Kings.. man, the sounds when we all freewheel is mental!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i love loud hubs. but have a shimano on teh back atm.damn. will have a hope in the future.

also sun rinlge lawwill hubs are the loudest i have ever heard, chris king is just annoying tbh, hope have the best sound
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Roval (DT Swiss) hubs are near silent.
  • Two choices:

1. Put in ear plugs!
    2. Most peds don't hear you anyway, SWTF!

I love Hopes!!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • thanks for your answers, I'll see to it and keep you posted!