Best Commentator Awards

2»

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Phil and Paul have a fan:

Back in hotel an watching reply of the race. Paul sherman and phil ligget legendery comment are so great. They bring cycling closer to home
    5:06 PM Sep 30th via Twitter for iPhone

f_cancellara

I guess it's different when you're actually watching yourself win the worlds
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    FJS wrote:
    Phil and Paul have a fan:

Back in hotel an watching reply of the race. Paul sherman and phil ligget legendery comment are so great. They bring cycling closer to home
    5:06 PM Sep 30th via Twitter for iPhone

f_cancellara

I guess it's different when you're actually watching yourself win the worlds

Phttt...Handy at cycling TT??.....spotting a good commentator is a different skillset :lol:
  • Just watched the BBC womens road race coverage.

Didn't learn anything about who the commentators favourite riders are, what shoe colour they prefer, what ridiculous scenarios they think might happen at the finish or anything about which personal sponsors they have or what record attempts they have failed at recently.

All they did was speak about the race and when there was nothing to say, they were quiet.

It was great.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Harmon is good. Kelly drives me insane, for two reasons:

1. I know he's Irish, but he really needs to learn how to make a sentence. You know, one that has a point, starts and stops in reasonably logical spots, that kind of thing. As it is right now, whenever he gets going, it's one long ramble, in a monotone that suddenly drifts off into nothing...

2. SOMEBODY please tell Kelly that he is commentating in (what passes for) the English language. The word "classement" is in fact the French term for classification. If my telly wasn't such a lovely thing, I'd have chucked a brick through it by now hearing that word half a dozen times in each of his rambles.

Picky? Moi? Maybe..

Kelly would be the 1st to tell you that he`s not the world`s best co commentator - But as a bike rider he was one of the best (4th all time best ever) and he knows how to read a race.
    As for him being "Irish" i am sure he would soon let you know about your annoying accent if you were boring the T*ts off him with your little drol southern english squeaking.
  • Harmon, and Rendell/Boulting.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Ned's the best, IMO.
    Kelly grew on me- did someone say he has an accent?
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I'm not going to stay up and watch the men's race 'cos I can't stand Hugh Porter rhapsodising about Kolobnev's calves. :) I shall just get up a bit early and watch the Kelly/Harmon hightlights (and open my pressies!) :D
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    It's your birthday?
  • Another vote for Kelly and Harmon.
    Not so much the Paul Liggett combo, although will forgive Phil a lot for 'that' Roche commentary at La Plagne; and also for Mandy Jones' World RR win.
    Hugh Porter really doesn't seem to be commentating on the same race.

Kelly has got a lot better in the last couple of years - some nice dry jokes, and couldn't ask for more expertise. Harmon has the enthusiasm, knowledge..... and a lovely voice!

Would like to hear how Jens Voigt would get on commentating, if he can ever give up ripping everyone else's legs off.
    If everything's under control, you're obviously not going fast enough.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    I like the way Canc got Sherwen's name wrong :lol:

I like Magnus but he seems to have drawn the short straw of Carlton, I actually think he could commentate in his own right or I'd like to see him do a bit with Harmon.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Some of these posts seem to be a competition as to who can name the most obscure European punditry - not even heard of many of them?!

Harmon and Kelly are good - Kelly's growing on me. His accent is ridiculous, but his insight into race tactics etc is really useful (speaking as a layman).

Duffield is mad, closely followed by Porter.

Graham Jones makes for uncomfortable listening - he just needs to clear his throat!

Phil/Paul are polished, but have completely sold out to Versus/Planet Lance and it's more like Radioshack propaganda - dire.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Do Phil and Paul actually commentate live any more? Or do they just read a script for highlight shows?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Phil & Paul are ok. They create a good sense of drama, and they're fine in the Tour. The racing's a little passive so their drama helps it a long a bit.

That's as far as the remit goes though.
  • pedro118118
    I lost all respect for Phil and Paul this year, when at every opportunity they rolled out the same message about how Lance lost the Tour, "...because of bad luck, not bad form..."
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I lost all respect for Phil and Paul this year, when at every opportunity they rolled out the same message about how Lance lost the Tour, "...because of bad luck, not bad form..."

But they did have some nice matching shirts :wink:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Pokerface wrote:
    Do Phil and Paul actually commentate live any more? Or do they just read a script for highlight shows?

They still commentate live, though it often sounds like they have a stock library of expressions and opinions which they slip in throughout the broadcast.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • I think Kelly is getting better. He seems to be learning how to commentate, coupled with his tactically knowledge means he's head and shoulders above the rest when teamed with Harmon.

Phil and Paul - so many good memories but sorry put them out to grass.

Hugh Porter - I've just emailed the BBC to request they employ a someone who knows their ar@e from their elbow.

Rob Hayles when paired with the right person seems to be learning how to fill the sound vacuum quite well. BIg Maggie and Chris Boardman are doing alright too,Maggi probably having the edge.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,174
    Pokerface wrote:

They still commentate live, though it often sounds like they have a stock library of expressions and opinions which they slip in throughout the broadcast.

They remind me of a computer game commentary. The same opinions, sayings repeated on a loop......

...maybe they actually aren't there....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    I used to like harmon but having met him at the dragon I thought he was a right tit :(

Legit and sherwin are up LA's arse.

The bloke who does the BC premier's is deadly dull.

Carlton kirby is great as a side show with his funny little stories but hopeless as a front man.

Hugh porter hmmm..........

Magnus is good.

Duffers is a living legend but is it for the right reasons, by the way.

King kelly. Certainly the best!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • pedro118118
    Yeah, I forgot about Anthony MacRossan..............he's desperately dull.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Tusher wrote:
    It's your birthday?
    Yes it was but I didn't get any points in PTP!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

By none other than Fabian!!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Gotta love that Paul Sherman... tanks for the memories and all that.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820

By none other than Fabian!!
    See previous page - 2 Oct
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Got it. Never normally read anything on the threads about commentators.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    afx237vi wrote:
    tanks for the memories and all that.

AFX has gone all Sean Kelly!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811
    1.Harmon. needs to stay sharp or he will lose it and go duffers
    2.kelly..getting better with age had a bad patch a few years ago when he just didn't care
    3.boardman better for some races than kelly
    4.maggy suffers from being on the Z team
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • As a duo, Harmon and Kelly, since they are usually teamed up (on the bigger races anyway). I think Magnus is the ideal 'second chair' though - he's knowledgeable, articulate and informative, and he only talks when there's something useful to say.
  • Commentator: Harmon
    Co-Commentator: Backstedt

I would like to hear them on together.
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    3 pages and no one has mentioned Alan Haycox yet

ffs mun

Bikeradar is pwp