Consumerism gone mad?

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited September 2010 in The bottom bracket

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    It's a technological toothbrush. Consumerism went mad years ago. Just let the madness pass you by
    M.Rushton
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You should see the look on the faces of the chaps down the pub when I mention how much my bike cost (it was only £1k btw). My bottle cage cost £7 but there are some bling models that cost as much as that toothbrush (and don't even mention Rapha key fobs or you will get me started :) ).

It's all relative and about personal priorities and choices. I bet that toothbrush would get chains nice and clean...now there's a thought...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm sure it's the Oakley of the toothbrush world. Somebody somewhere will be happy to part with 150 quid for one.

It's a strange world we inhabit; two thirds of the population live in poverty, while the remainder have so much disposable income that they can afford to spend a fortune on a toothbrush

I'm not tellin anyone down the pub how much my bike cost (same as you, just over a grand) or they'll be followin me home.
  • Aye - I didn't mind telling people how much my Spesh Allez cost, but now a got a 3k bike, I let people guess.

When they give me a figure, I just reply "yeah, more or less".

Otherwise they either don't understand, or think I'm some sort of rich idiot.

Well I may be an idiot, but I'm certainly not rich any more!
  • Cressers
    But how has this gadget obsessed, geeky state of affairs reached the point where a toothbrush is more intellegent than the person who buys it?
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I have that toothrush. It's awesome.

Actually I have 2. After 3 years the battery isn't as powerfull as it was, so I got another just last week.

They are far cheaper on Amazon.

Consumerism gone mad? Look at women's handbags.
  • Cressers
    And shoes...
  • I was aghast when my mate spent 480 euros on her handbag.

But then she asked me how much my bike cost and I shut up.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Just did some maths!

You need to brush your teeth for 3 minutes, right? This super toothbrush does it in 2 saving you 1 minute, twice a day. Thats 14 minutes a week or 730 minutes a year. Over 12 hours a year this saves me!

I get paid ~£50/hour so I actually am well and truly in profit.
  • guinea wrote:
    Just did some maths!

You need to brush your teeth for 3 minutes, right? This super toothbrush does it in 2 saving you 1 minute, twice a day. Thats 14 minutes a week or 730 minutes a year. Over 12 hours a year this saves me!

I get paid ~£50/hour so I actually am well and truly in profit.

Assuming you use your gained hours working and not doing something else...
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    edited September 2010
    I've got one of those Tootbrushes, exact model and although I expect the person who bought me it as a gift didn't pay that price for it, I reckon it was still approx around £100 notes.

Best thing ever for teeth and not only does my friends comment on how clean my teeth are but my dentist and hygenist do also.

EDIT: I was that impressed that I then returned the favour of an identical gift of the same model at the next opportunity.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    UpTheWall wrote:
    I was aghast when my mate spent 480 euros on her handbag.

You can't ride a handbag.
  • johnfinch wrote:
    UpTheWall wrote:

depends on what you mean by ride
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    UpTheWall wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    UpTheWall wrote:

I mean get on it and go somewhere nice. I don't mean f**k it.
  • johnfinch wrote:
    UpTheWall wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    UpTheWall wrote:

I mean get on it and go somewhere nice. I don't mean f**k it.

You only have a platonic relationship with your bike?

How cold.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Aha! I can see what you mean by your signature now but there is a simple misspelling :wink:
  • Bill Gates wrote:
    I've got one of those Tootbrushes, exact model and although I expect the person who bought me it as a gift didn't pay that price for it, I reckon it was still approx around £100 notes.

Best thing ever for teeth and not only does my friends comment on how clean my teeth are but my dentist and hygenist do also.

EDIT: I was that impressed that I then returned the favour of an identical gift of the same model at the next opportunity.

I've had similar comments (actually been asked on a few occasions if I've had my teeth whitened), and all I do is brush my teeth once a day with a regular brush (hard bristles though!). No fillings or other dentistry work ever done, so I've always been a bit dubious about claims for electrical toothbrushes. Think it just comes down to doing a good job.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    When in comes up in conversation and I tell people how much one of my watches cost
    (£1585 inc £225 discount) they say "It's only a watch", then the classic "is it a real one?" :roll:
    (Rolex Explorer II, purchased in 1994).
  • Bill Gates wrote:

I've had similar comments (actually been asked on a few occasions if I've had my teeth whitened), and all I do is brush my teeth once a day with a regular brush (hard bristles though!). No fillings or other dentistry work ever done, so I've always been a bit dubious about claims for electrical toothbrushes. Think it just comes down to doing a good job.

I did get some whitening gel and trays for my teeth but didn't rate them that much and they are uncomfortable to use but I reckon that the Sonic toothbrush has has just as good an effect,

I say that the 'two minute hate' as I call it (ala George Orwell, 1984) is partly why it becomes hard to be lazy on using the device. That three times a day and your pearles will be gleaming. :D

• keef66 wrote:
    I'm sure it's the Oakley of the toothbrush world. Somebody somewhere will be happy to part with 150 quid for one.

It's a strange world we inhabit; two thirds of the population live in poverty, while the remainder have so much disposable income that they can afford to spend a fortune on a toothbrush

I'm not tellin anyone down the pub how much my bike cost (same as you, just over a grand) or they'll be followin me home.

A friend who had a claim from someone for an £600 bike asked me if it was a realistic amount and how much mine was. When I said that the main bike was £2k but the TT bike was £3k she thought I meant £200 and £300 mentioned 3k she thought that I was taking the p1ss
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • keef66 wrote:

A friend who had a claim from someone for an £600 bike asked me if it was a realistic amount and how much mine was. When I said that the main bike was £2k but the TT bike was £3k she thought I meant £200 and £300 mentioned 3k she thought that I was taking the p1ss
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I have that toothbrush.............. was a present - my bro is a dentist and gets them for a fraction of that cost. Would I buy one for that price - no !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They're 75 quid on Amazon.
  • It's a tricky one this, whether it is a bike, handbag or a toothbrush if everyone chose the first simple cheap option to do a job then there would be an awful lot of unemployed people in the world. The restaurant industry for example...we could all cook at home everynight of the year but we don't and a lot of people earn a living from the fact we like eat out.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    De Sisti wrote:
    When in comes up in conversation and I tell people how much one of my watches cost
    (£1585 inc £225 discount) they say "It's only a watch", then the classic "is it a real one?" :roll:
    (Rolex Explorer II, purchased in 1994).

See, now I don't get the mega expensive watches. As timepieces anyway, if they're worn as jewellery then I suppose you can compare it to other watches. But a watch that costs a couple of hundred quid (a lot to most people) will tell the time just as well as one that cost £5k won't it? And it won't last 25 times longer, and will cost a load more in servicing. Whereas a more expensive car will be more comfortable, a more expensive bike will be lighter and stronger, a more expensive TV will have a better picture, a more expensive stereo will sound better etc.

I've always thought of the really expensive watches as pure status goods, that are only worth the money they are because of the name written on them.

Apart from that one that lets you call out a rescue helicopter! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • WTF
  • Anonymous
    Can you upload your 'brushings' to ORAL-B Connect to see how your improving and compare your results with people who live near you?

Dose it support ANT+ power meters?
  • RichardSwt wrote:
    Can you upload your 'brushings' to ORAL-B Connect to see how your improving and compare your results with people who live near you?

Dose it support ANT+ power meters?

LOL

Not ANT+ but it does have all sorts of sensors built-in including one that shows whether there is too much pressure applied to the head.

• Anonymous
    All in all honestly, I would actually quite like one.

I have a standard electric toothbrush, love it.

Not sure I'd pay £150, or even £75 though.

But then I payed £250 for my Garmin 705, and I'd use a toothbrush twice a day. Can't say the same for my Garmin.