Coed y Brenin

freefly_mong
freefly_mong Posts: 65
edited September 2010 in Routes
I am looking for Welsh trail centres and have come across Coed Y Brenin.

Can anybody give me any feedback on the centre? we like trails to be aggressive, or for there to be some downhill runs. How does Coed Y Brenin fare?

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    No real DH there but plenty of Gnarly singletrack and proper aggressive trails, take a weekend and do them all and you'll know that youve been out on a bike!
    Its steep, its rocky, its fast, its slow and it rains but that doesnt effect you in the slightest. fantastic place but go prepaired, the Beast can take you all day so take plenty of water, food and go padded up.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Great thanks, sounds like just the job. No need to huck it all the time! We will give it a go.
  • I wouldn't say its particularly steep, or excessivly aggressive either.

but it is brilliant fun flowing and with a good range of different trails with different ranges. I particularly enjoy the Dragonsback perefct length trail for multiple days ridings
  • Did it for the first time a few weeks ago. i loved it. Dragons back was great fun.

would thoroughly recomend.
    ched
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Was there at the beginning of september, my first visit and was mighty impressed. Well worth taking a couple of days off to go there! We stayed at a campsite just down the road which was fantastic, let me know if you need details :wink:
  • Ok, that sounds like a plan. Fortunately we have a little cottage/shack about 50mins south so accom is sorted.

I think we are going to try Llandegla on the Sat and Coed y Brenin on the Sunday. But it sounds like there is plenty there for many trips to come!
  • If you go on youtube and type in dragons back it comes up with some ace helmet cams of what to expect at coed. Try doing the new 2.1km of black run that they have built at llandegla you can see this clip on the bikeradar videos section looks brill. Gets pretty busy on saturdays but if you get there early ahead of the crowd you should have a good run. Both rides extremley good fast and technical. If your doing both in two days id take the monday off. Good luck and safe cycling
    TO COME DOWN, YOU MUST FIRST GO UP.
  • Forget Landegla and do Brennin both days. Plenty to keep you going and more variety.
  • And if you south of cody no point driving north when Machynlleth is just there...

llandegglla is really not worth that big a drive. its a pretty boring trail bar the awsoem black sections whcih ar over very early int he trail :(
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Don't bother with the Tarw, its the worst trail I've ever rode.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Whereas I love the Tarw. So who's opinion matters? Not mine, and not yours, really.
  • If Brennin is in th Betsy Coed area I would think about Penmachno over Llandegla as well. Could do that and the Marin trail of a day.

Mind you, not sure if they are near Brenin or not..................
  • Anonymous
    Coed y Brenin is not in the Betws y Coed area, but is within a 40 minute drive or so from it.
    Penmachno is just mind-numbingle awesome.
    But, Llandegla is also fun for a flat-out blast, and is a nice breath of fresh air from the Coedy/Penmachno kind of trail.
  • Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Whereas I love the Tarw. So who's opinion matters? Not mine, and not yours, really.

See i feel the Tarw has some really special moments and some total shoot in it,

But If your plenty fit you just roast round to really enjoy those fun bits. reason why i still ride Llandegglla is the rest feels so short, so i can just blast round for those lovely black bits.
  • Well there a lot there to go on! It seems like there are good and bad parts to them all. As long as some say Coed y Brenin is worth it and that Llandegla is worth it I think that answers my question. We will try both! Then go back to the one we enjoyed the best!

Also thanks for the suggestions for other routes, I will add them to the list to check out.

I did Snowdon years back, and I fancy tackling that again too (obviously volutary ban in mind!).

Thanks all!
  • What is the Tarw--have I maissed something or just being mind numbingly stupid?
  • Anonymous
    What is the Tarw--have I maissed something or just being mind numbingly stupid?
    One of the trails in Coed Y Brenin. It's the old Red Bull trail, basically, with a few extra bits added so that it starts and ends at the new cafe and car park location.
  • cheers yeehaamcgee, is it the one that goes through the horns and goes other side? Or the same way as the Dragon's back along the rocky start-thats the only way i have been.
    how does it compare to the Dragon? Worth doing?

Nice to see someone else who likes Penmachno. Seems to be a git of an undiscovered gem......
  • Anonymous
    Yeah, it's the trail that goes through the bull horns. Tarw is Welsh for "Bull", see.
    I love it, it's got some really fun sections like Snap Crackle and Pop, Root of all Evil, Heart of Darkness etc, which are mostly linked together by fireroad climbs
    There's also one fireroad descent on the proper track (most of the time I used to skip that bit by turning down some unmarked singletrack) which is still fun, since it has some flat-out drifty corners to slide round at full tilt.

But, it seems a bit of a Marmite trail, some love it, some hate it. It's definitely worth trying it to form your own opinion though.
  • will do when next up there, cheers for the advice.
  • yarp,

I always enjoy a blast of tarw, but i skip out the rather pointless huge loop of fireroad they put on it. :( As Yee said there is a neat shortcut that cuts it out and straight to the next bit of fun :p Just needs to be longer, cos once you start its over :(
  • I really like Coed Y Brenin and if i'm going to wales i always end up there.
    Like others here i really like Penmachno... done Llandegla a fair few times also
    but it's not somewhere i'd go to specifically ride mainly because it was my "local"
    for a couple of years.

I rode Tarw this year and really enjoyed it.. i did recognise some of the old red bull
    and MBR sections. Some really nice rocky technical stuff IMO which makes a nice
    change from the modern stuff IMO.

If i only had one day i'd just do the beast as its essentially the MBR + Dragons back.. good
    few hours riding there then tag on the Tarw for some extra.