Knee Warmers??

relanium
relanium Posts: 487
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Are Knee Warmers worth buying? I have a few pair of winter tights but was thinking about getting some knee warmers for when its not too cold for tights. Are they comfortable to wear & don't slip down...
Can anyone recommend a good pair if they use any..

Thanks.

Comments

• Absolutely. With the wind (especially bad in Cambridge) I've already started to get sore knees from the cold. DHB warmers from wiggle are cheap and do the trick at the moment, for colder days I've got the Castelli Nano ones, but they're obviously more expensive.
  • Tony Mc
    Tony Mc Posts: 180
    Defeet Kneekers do the job for me
    same as arm warmers I think there a good bit of kit
    Getting there
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    It depends on your knees and what clothes you already have
    I found that my Endura knee warmers slipped down all the time. Maybe I got a size to big
    In the current (autumn) weather I am favouring 3/4 length bib shorts
  • Don't really understand the 'slip down' comments as you put them under your shorts, and my shorts (and the grippers) keep them up.

Mine slip up however! At least the right leg does. I get a nice Norah Batty look which is fitting given most of my rides are around Holmfirth.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Santini from Prendas or the Specialized BG ones. Both have double grippers
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton wrote:
    Santini from Prendas or the Specialized BG ones. Both have double grippers

+1 for the Santini ones from Prendas.....excellent.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • knee (and arm) warmers are fantastic bits of kit. Definitely good to own a pair or 2
  • Thanks for the replies - Thinking about getting some of these:-
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/111486.html

Hope there good.
  • Make sure they're Belgian - arf, arf...

Santini for me, they're not too heavy which is good.

I don't know if anyone makes them but I'd love to see knee warmers with a heavier materian in front and a lighter materian in back that doesn't bunch so much.

Anyone seen this type of asymmetrical materials used?

Lastly, they need to be pretty long as well - the Santini ones I get along well with go to the top of my thigh.

My old Biemme ones were too short and the top fo them migrated down my leg. Not a good look.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Specialized. Thin lycra on the back, thicker on the front. Grippers top and bottom and slightly longer than avg. but you'd have to try them Good kit for the money
    M.Rushton
  • I don't know if anyone makes them but I'd love to see knee warmers with a heavier materian in front and a lighter materian in back that doesn't bunch so much.

Anyone seen this type of asymmetrical materials used?
    Castelli Nano would fit this bill.
  • DeFeet Kneekers are thinner on the back than the front and very warm (too warm a lot of the time). Unlike some they do seem to stay up although I think how much luck you have with that is a personal thing...

If you can get some that work for you though then knee warmers are pretty useful.
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Definitely recommend knee wamers on these cooler days without making the step to longs. I have Altura ones for about a tenner. Definte upgrade to bibs and look after the knee joints.

I must confess to not having really got the point with arm warmers yet. If its chilly I tend to want to wear a (long sleeve) base layer under my short sleeve jersey, if if cooler, a long sleeve jersey as well. What am I missing?
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    ian_s wrote:
    Definitely recommend knee wamers on these cooler days without making the step to longs. I have Altura ones for about a tenner. Definte upgrade to bibs and look after the knee joints.

I must confess to not having really got the point with arm warmers yet. If its chilly I tend to want to wear a (long sleeve) base layer under my short sleeve jersey, if if cooler, a long sleeve jersey as well. What am I missing?

Arm warmers can be useful riding big hills: pull 'em down to stay cool when climbing, and back up for descents to keep warm. Or for when you're riding early doors and it's chilly, but expected to warm up later. There are obviously other ways to skin these cats, but arm warmers are effective, cheap and fold up small.