Newbie / Bike registry & insurance

chips*
chips* Posts: 13
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all

My girlfriend & I recently went on a holiday to France and hired out some City bikes for the day, and really enjoyed the experience. Came back on holiday and we did some brief research and bought a a MTB each! I bought Marin Bolinas Ridge (2010) and she bought a Marin Trail Coast (2011)!. We decided on MTB as we live literally next door to Epping Forest to ride along the various cycle paths & trails.

We bought all the usual clothing & accessories including an anchor to lock our bikes to in the garden shed. However, with the ever popular bike theft, I wish to register our bikes in case they are stolen so we may get them back (slim chance I know). I've done some googling, and saw www.immobolise.com. Is this the best / most comprehensive bike registry, if not, what is?

Also, are MTB normally insured under the standard terms of house content insurance, or does it need to be declared or notified to the insurer? I see cycle insurance been offered, but wasn't sure whether this is a rip-off if the normal house contents covers the bikes?

Regards
Tom

Comments

• chips* wrote:
    Hi all

My girlfriend & I recently went on a holiday to France and hired out some City bikes for the day, and really enjoyed the experience. Came back on holiday and we did some brief research and bought a a MTB each! I bought Marin Bolinas Ridge (2010) and she bought a Marin Trail Coast (2011)!. We decided on MTB as we live literally next door to Epping Forest to ride along the various cycle paths & trails.

We bought all the usual clothing & accessories including an anchor to lock our bikes to in the garden shed. However, with the ever popular bike theft, I wish to register our bikes in case they are stolen so we may get them back (slim chance I know). I've done some googling, and saw www.immobolise.com. Is this the best / most comprehensive bike registry, if not, what is?

Also, are MTB normally insured under the standard terms of house content insurance, or does it need to be declared or notified to the insurer? I see cycle insurance been offered, but wasn't sure whether this is a rip-off if the normal house contents covers the bikes?

Regards
    Tom

With the regards to insurance, my bike is covered under the house insurance policy in and away from home...it even brought the policy down by £3 a year lol. But AFAIK you have to declare the bike on most insurance policies...
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    Check your policy and if unsure or it says you need to declare them, call your insurer. You may need to declare them, you may not, it normally depends on if the value is below a certain amount.

Make sure you have decent locks and sheds are not the best security but sometimes all you have. If you think the locks are tough enough then they are probably not so make them tougher. Your insurer will be able to advise on what they expect as minimum security. Make sure you meet this requirement to ensure they do payout if the worst happens.
  • BGM
    BGM Posts: 9
    http://www.immobilise.com/index.php is definatly the site to register your stuff on. And not just your bikes, get everything of value you own on there, laptop, tv, mobile etc. Was recommended to us by our local cop, they cross check stuff in second hand shops (and anything they suspect to be stolen) with the database. Also, if you live in an area which is or has been subject to higher than normal burgalries give the local plod a ring, they might be able to sort you out with some smartwater which should help get your bikes back should the worst happen.
    Also, you can pick up relativley cheap battery operated shed alarms from B&Q, which whilst not exactly brilliant might give the scrote in question a fright and send him on his merry way.
  • M&S home contents includes bikes up to £4k each without having to declare them. They also don't insist on any specific security and with their premium service you get accidental damage and contents away from home cover including worldwide cover IIRC.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'