World's lightest bike. 2.7kg.

Comments

• nice! how much is it though?
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Only snakes need apply. I can imagine hearing a few scary noises from it just from me sitting on it.
  • Err, your browsing the Triathlon Gear Guide? Something you want to confess NapD?
  • Saddle looks comfy!

1035_Worlds_Lightest_Bike_26.jpg

I'd swap it for one of these and double the weight!

b135side.jpg
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    yeah, but is it stiff?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Saddle looks comfy!

1035_Worlds_Lightest_Bike_26.jpg

I'd swap it for one of these and double the weight!

b135side.jpg
    The Brooks looks like something you'd find in the sort of brothel favoured by Max Mosley.
  • OK, who wants to be first to point this thing downhill and see how it handles under brakes from 100 kays into the hairpin bend.

Anyone?

Anyone?

:lol:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It wouldn't get that far with me on it Wheelspinner. If someone saw me a few seconds after I'd got on it they'd be wondering what that funny looking man was doing stood over a pile of bent tubing...
  • I've eaten pretzels that weigh more than that thing..
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Anonymous
    Err, your browsing the Triathlon Gear Guide? Something you want to confess NapD?

I dabble a bit...

newbie_triathlete.jpg
  • That goldie lookin chain is screaming ''bling'' at me - do you ride it or do you wear it?

1035_Worlds_Lightest_Bike_4.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    I'd ride it!

I only weigh 53kg!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    Percy Vera wrote:
    yeah, but is it stiff?

No, I don't get that excited by bikes :lol:
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Err, your browsing the Triathlon Gear Guide? Something you want to confess NapD?

I dabble a bit...

newbie_triathlete.jpg

LOL, love that picture.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'd ride it!

I only weigh 53kg!

Christ. And I thought I was slim. ;)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    "Light and fast 'aint built to last"
  • NapoleonD wrote:

I dabble a bit...

newbie_triathlete.jpg

Er is the helmet on backwards?
  • snailracer wrote:
    Er is the helmet on backwards?

No, I think it's his head that's on backwards :D

But to be honest, those transition areas are pretty hectic places, it's pretty good he's got his shoes on!
  • Anonymous
    Ok ok, I admit it, that's not really me.

THIS is me...

Triathlete20Steve.jpg
  • dodgy
    LOL keep 'em coming nap :)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

But to be honest, those transition areas are pretty hectic places, it's pretty good he's got his shoes on!

I presume you're referring to this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKajY5GlyI
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Wonder how much it would weigh as a fixed gear. Not that I'm particularly into fixed gears (despite owning one) or that it would improve the functionality of the bike in any way, I'd just like to know exactly how light a working bicycle can be.

Rear brake - AX Lightness Orion caliper 47g + pads (another 20g perhaps)
    One brake lever - I don't know what brakes they used, but the lightest levers I can find are SRAM Carbon ones at 100g/pair. I imagine they've modified their levers to be even lighter, so I'd estimate the weight of one lever to be 30g
    BTP Downtube shifters - 9g/pair
    Rear derailer SRAM Red - 100g
    Rear cassette - which is presumably SRAM Red too, 155g
    Front derailer Campagnolo Record Titanium - 72g
    Crank - prototype 'Mythic' - just estimate removal of inner ring, maybe 30g

Plus you'd save the weight of 1/3 less chain, plus three less cables. I don't know what the chain is, but the FSA Superlight is one of the lightest you can get, and that weighs 250g, so say the shorter chain saves another 80g or so.
    A Campagnolo inner brake cable weighs 25g, so that's another 25g saved. Plus a length of outer, perhaps another 25g. And there's two lengths of gear cable (which is thinner than brake cable) and a very short section of outer, so call it another 40g. And there's also the weight of all the cable stops and threaded derailer mounts and stuff that's no longer needed - perhaps another 25g.

I can't find weights for many aluminium fixed sprockets, but the VeloSolo 17t one was tested at 24g. And we'll need a lockring - Token make an aluminium one at 5g. I'm making an assumption that a track hub can be found or built at the same weight as a normal freehub - I think they could be made lighter but it would be more of a guess than an estimate so I'm going to just keep the weight of the rear hub the same.

So overall that adds up to 658 grams, plus 29 grams for the fixed sprocket and lockring, gives 629g total weight saving. The bike would weigh 2,071g. Which is absolutely astonishing.

EDIT

I think I've overestimated the weight of the cables a bit. But then I've underestimated the potential weight of a fixed rear hub. Maybe it cancels out.
  • LangerDan wrote:

I presume you're referring to this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRKajY5GlyI

I think if I was one of the photographers, I'd want more than a traffic cone for protection! Maybe a Tri with the trasition area through the Arenberg forest might be fun?
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    If you hit one Surrey pot hole and that thing is gonna br toast. I wonder how much the owner weight and how often he rides it.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Wonder how much it would weigh as a fixed gear. Not that I'm particularly into fixed gears (despite owning one) or that it would improve the functionality of the bike in any way, I'd just like to know exactly how light a working bicycle can be.

Rear brake - AX Lightness Orion caliper 47g + pads (another 20g perhaps)
    One brake lever - I don't know what brakes they used, but the lightest levers I can find are SRAM Carbon ones at 100g/pair. I imagine they've modified their levers to be even lighter, so I'd estimate the weight of one lever to be 30g
    BTP Downtube shifters - 9g/pair
    Rear derailer SRAM Red - 100g
    Rear cassette - which is presumably SRAM Red too, 155g
    Front derailer Campagnolo Record Titanium - 72g
    Crank - prototype 'Mythic' - just estimate removal of inner ring, maybe 30g

Plus you'd save the weight of 1/3 less chain, plus three less cables. I don't know what the chain is, but the FSA Superlight is one of the lightest you can get, and that weighs 250g, so say the shorter chain saves another 80g or so.
    A Campagnolo inner brake cable weighs 25g, so that's another 25g saved. Plus a length of outer, perhaps another 25g. And there's two lengths of gear cable (which is thinner than brake cable) and a very short section of outer, so call it another 40g. And there's also the weight of all the cable stops and threaded derailer mounts and stuff that's no longer needed - perhaps another 25g.

I can't find weights for many aluminium fixed sprockets, but the VeloSolo 17t one was tested at 24g. And we'll need a lockring - Token make an aluminium one at 5g. I'm making an assumption that a track hub can be found or built at the same weight as a normal freehub - I think they could be made lighter but it would be more of a guess than an estimate so I'm going to just keep the weight of the rear hub the same.

So overall that adds up to 658 grams, plus 29 grams for the fixed sprocket and lockring, gives 629g total weight saving. The bike would weigh 2,071g. Which is absolutely astonishing.

EDIT

I think I've overestimated the weight of the cables a bit. But then I've underestimated the potential weight of a fixed rear hub. Maybe it cancels out.

How much free time do you have ?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Some novice will buy this bike and think they're superman only to be getting overtaken by people on MTB's or heavy road bikes. Then he'll smash it when he chucks it onto the grass verge in a paddy.
  • dodgy
    A lot of people on this thread seem to know how strong the bike is.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Sheptastic wrote:
    You on the waiting list then Will? :wink:

Nah I'm happy with my shite winter bike.
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    I'd ride it!

I only weigh 53kg!

Christ. And I thought I was slim. ;)

yeah! I weigh 53kg...........from the waist down... :twisted: