Creak/Click when pedalling -- BB or not?

Pgd
Pgd Posts: 3
edited October 2010 in The workshop
Hi all,

My second-hand Trek T30 hybrid has recently developed a loud creak/click when pedalling. It disappears when freewheeling, and I can reduce it by pedalling with less pressure. Standing up has no effect, and I can't see anything that might be rubbing or banging together. From doing a bit of online research (including previous threads here) it looks like it'll be either the pedals or the bottom bracket. However, everything seems firm where it should be, there's no excess play that I can feel.

Are there any other tests I can try? If lubrication might help, where exactly should I put it? Basically, if I can feel fairly sure it's the pedals, I'll get hold of a wrench and a new set and do it myself. But I'm not going to start messing with the BB!

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Could be, key word COULD be, the saddle rails, saddle clamp area. Try a bit of lube
    in that area and see how it goes. There is a lot of contact between various materials
    (carbon?, aluminum, a bolt or two, seat rails), that sort of thing at that point on the bike and a lot of stress on all of it. If NO noise is made when you're pedaling out of the saddle, this is a good place to start.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    First thing I would try would be to grease the seat post if aluminium. Second would be to remove, clean thoroughly, then replace the bottom bracket. I hate creaks and they can be a bugger to track down to the source! Good luck....
  • Don't forget the threads on your pedal axles where they screw into the cranks. I had a reoccurring click emminating from there whenever dirt worked its way in...which was often.

Clean & grease 'em.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    chain ring bolts.
    FCN 12
  • Cranks.
    Take off the crank, clean the BB axle and crank contact point, and put it back on tight.
  • I had a very similar problem recently.

I went through and tightened just about every bolt and lubricated every moving part, to no avail.

Then the (alu) frame broke at the rear drop out/seat stay junction..
  • I had a very similar problem recently.

I went through and tightened just about every bolt and lubricated every moving part, to no avail.

Then the (alu) frame broke at the rear drop out/seat stay junction..
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Some good advice to me in this thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/foru ... 5#16508905
  • badwolf
    badwolf Posts: 26
    Do you use clipless pedals? Try a bit of lubing on the contact points between your cleats and pedals
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    I've just solved a very similar problem- turned out to be the mating surface between mech hanger and frame had filled with crud and loosened slightly over the years. Strip, clean up, liberal coat of assembly compound and a bleddy good tightening=minimal clicking.