Broadband speed problems

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited September 2010 in The Crudcatcher
My broadband is running really slow at the moment about 300 k instead of the usual 5 or 6 meg. Ran loads of speedtests using Bt tester and a couple of others somethings not right when the test shows your uploading at 400k and downloading at 300k. Its not my laptop, tried my friends netbook and a spare router and both show same speeds. Tried plugging laptop direct into router with an ethernet cable still same.

Rang Plusnet to ask about the problem and was told it was my fault for switching the router off last thing at night and only switching it on when I needed to use it. Was told I need to leave the router on for 72 hours to get the speed back up, something about the exchange which I didnt understand.

Am I being told a crock of shit I have always turned the router off when I am not using it and never had a problem before apart from when the council dug up the phone line.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• I was told a similar thing by BT (my isp) after the router was reset, but I'm not sure if just switching it off would have the same effect. May be plausible. If no improvement in a few days go back to them.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Yes that is correct, you need to give them a chance to determine the fastest stable speed for your line, it will fluctuate for a few days until it is locked at the fastest speed your line can do stable.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Thats complete rubbish. Unplugging your router doesn't lower your speed. There is no need to turn it off though. Infact, turning on and off can be detrimental to some electronic items.

Your router plugged into the main phone socket? Do you have any other extensions in the house? Also, have you accessed the router setup page just to see what speed you synced at?
  • stubs
    -Liam- wrote:
    Also, have you accessed the router setup page just to see what speed you synced at?

Its not the router I tried a spare non wireless one and it made no difference exact same speeds
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams wrote:
    Yes that is correct, you need to give them a chance to determine the fastest stable speed for your line, it will fluctuate for a few days until it is locked at the fastest speed your line can do stable.

:wink:

I used to work for BT in BB support and provision. if it's a new line or if it hasn't ever been left on for a few days it needs to determine the fastest stable speed for your line.
  • -liam-
    Ok.

You tried the test socket?
  • -liam-
    Kiblams wrote:
    Kiblams wrote:

:wink:

I used to work for BT in BB support and provision.

Thats nothing to brag about boss :D

It may sync at a slightly different rate but from 6mb down to 300kb isn't caused by turning off the router. There's an issue somewhere.
  • stubs
    -Liam- wrote:
    Ok.

You tried the test socket?

Yes didnt make any difference. I spent a lot of last night working through loads of differnt things updated my antivirus, cleaned the registry, got rid of temp internet files, tried different filter, tried a whole list of things which all made me truly thankful I dont normally have anything to do with computers apart from switch on and use. Stupid bloody things hate them hate them hate them :x
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Whats the router?

Is it asdl (up to 8meg) or Adsl2 (up to 20meg)

Can you log onto the router and find your

Sync rate
    SNR Margin
    Attunatiion

When you ran the BT speed tester what was your IP (Bras) profile set to?
  • Kiblams
    -Liam- wrote:
    Thats nothing to brag about boss :D

No bragging here mate, theres a reason I will never use ADSL BB :wink: luckily I was second line :D but I can assure you that it's not a blag that a line needs to be connected for a period of time before it is stable is all. After that period is over you can start to look for the usual suspects (internal wiring etc)
  • get virginmedia bt sucks
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Had the exact same problem from usual 7 megs to less than 1meg. Turned out to be the filter from the phone line to the modem, apparently can have speed drops after 6 months. New filter put in and back up to 7. Might be the problem..
  • stubs
    Schmako wrote:
    Had the exact same problem from usual 7 megs to less than 1meg. Turned out to be the filter from the phone line to the modem, apparently can have speed drops after 6 months. New filter put in and back up to 7. Might be the problem..

Tried 2 filters no difference. beginning to think plusnets indian call centre might be right.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WHat is the best speed checker to use? I get very different results, from 3mbps to 6mbps.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    speedtest.net
    http://top10.com/broadband/speedtest/
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h. ... dtest.html

I use the first one, though the results from the top 2 are pretty much the same. The last one shows the results in a much different way and I was put onto it by the Tech Support at VM.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • stubs
    Looks like Plusnet werent selling me a line things are speeding up its very erratic at the moment wobbling between 6mb and 500kb but definitely better than yesterday.