Innsbruck to venice via as many climbs as possible

DTH
DTH Posts: 303
edited December 2010 in Tour & expedition
Guys

we are planning this trip for Sept next year, we want to do 5/6 days cycling taking in as many of the best climbs in the area as possilbe. If anyone has done any of them we would be very great full for the names and difficulty. we have done two big trips in the Alps and the Pyreanees which we found easy to pick routes on, but we are struggling with this part of the world. Also any good places to stay whist on route. There will be 10 of us doing about 60-100 miles a day

Cheers

Dave
if it\'s not dripping of your nose, your not trying!

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    I have put a write-up of the trip we just did in the area on our website. Hopefully that will help you. It is fantastic cycling terrain there but you need to pick your roads as some are very busy and potentially dangerous. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

-Pieter
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    edited September 2010
    Your best bet would be to get either a Michelin msp or a Touring Club Italia map and then work it out from there.

Bear in mind that there are two main possible crossing points: the Reisen pass or the Brennero. These then follow two river valleys. However there are tons and tons of climbs heading east-west of west- east or doing a circuit.

For the basis of a route you might want to checkout the via claudia augusta. Two famous passes in the area are the Passo Stelvio and the Passo Croce d'Aune near Feltre where the young Tullio Campagnolo decided someone had to invent a better system for changing gear. There's a memorial to him up there.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Not sure if it will be on your route but Grossglockner took my fancy when there on honeymoon.
    Not the right time for a cycle though :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    If you like hairpins, then the Stelvio is highly recommended, plus stunning views (and amazing light) when I was there. Really, there's no bad places to go !

Not so many similar places here ion Ozzzzz..... :(
  • DTH
    Thanks for all the advice.. We were hoping to take in the Stelvio Pass after seeing it on Top Gear, it looks fantastic. After what i've heard from people this week thats a definate one. I'm gonna get a book on the classic Italian climbs and plan the rest of the route from there..

Thanks again

Has anyone got any contacts for good Cycling friendly B&B or Hotels in the Area??
  • On the way to Venice you might try Monte Grappa (done at Giro for first time this year) and/or Montello, depending from where you're arriving.
  • andymiller
    I've just come down from the Cortina d'Ampezzo area - I think it would be definitely woryh checking out - although some of the roads are quit busy.

I'd second the recommendation on Monte Grappa - although it's a good 1500m climb. That area is definitely worth exploring.
  • I live in Innsbruck at the moment so have done quite a lot of riding in this area. I would suggest starting in Landeck to the west (it's an okay ride along the valley, fairly flat though, you can jump on a regional train without booking a bike place though) then head south via Stilfser joch before cutting east again towards Bozen.

Then you have the choice of heading south to Venice or, what I found a lovely ride was from Bruneck east (there's a bike path from Bozen north up the valley) along Pustertal. Bruneck - Toblach - Sexten - Sappada - Rigolato - west just after Comeglians to Cadore (minor road, surface is not so great but no traffic and stunning views) - Auronzo - Cortina. We headed back north but then you could cut south.

I've got a book at home called something like the "100 best alpine passes with the roadbike", it might be useful to look at. If you're interested I can look up the exact title later.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Hard to believe a more exciting climb than the Stelvio exists, anywhere in the world. From Alto Adige is much more fun than from Bormio. Never tried the swiss side.

I also recommend the Bondone, from Trento is the best side.

Mind you, Venice is the prettiest city in the World, but near there is VERY FLAT.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    DTH wrote:
    Has anyone got any contacts for good Cycling friendly B&B or Hotels in the Area??

All Hotels and BB and cycling friendly there.
  • DTH
    Guys

thanks for all the advice and help. We have got our flights booked now, the support van has been donated and we have just to finalise the route.

cheers

Dave
  • andymiller
    If you're still looking for a book, the Lonely Guide to Cycling in Italy has a chapter which looks like it might be useful to you.