Just can't cut it live......

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    MatHammond wrote:
    Was sadly underwhelmed by Radiohead too. They started off great but then disappeared up their own backsides. (I mean the gig, but I could well be talking more generally there...)

Good god man, surely this is blasphemy! I saw Radiohead at Pukkelpop in 2006 I think it was. They were brilliant! Totally disappeared up their own backsides, but thats why I like them :P Brilliant moment when about half way through the set to incessant chants of "Do creep!!" Thom York addressed the audience with a withering look and sarcastically replied "Ok, we'll play creep....for ever" and then burst into a track that I believe was later to become 15 Steps.

With regards to the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, I've seen them at two festivals over the years, and I have to say they left me cold both times. I love their music, but listening to them live in a huge audience of people who know all the words to the ballads but won't rock out to the Blood Sugar Sex Magic stuff just didn't cut it for me.

Oh and a surprise for me was seeing Amy Winehouse live. Saw her at a small venue just before Frank was released, and then again at Glastonbury just after and she was excellent. Totally eccentric and weird, with a unique voice and magnetic on stage persona. Also saw her come on stage as a special guest once at a The Roots gig at the She Bu Empire and she was brilliant. A million miles away from what she has since become.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Brilliant moment when about half way through the set to incessant chants of "Do creep!!" Thom York addressed the audience with a withering look and sarcastically replied "Ok, we'll play creep....for ever" and then burst into a track that I believe was later to become 15 Steps.

What a twat. I find it hilarious that he's embarrassed by his most popular song, presumably because it sounds a bit 15 year old and angsty, and he reacts to that by acting all 15 year old and angsty and not only refusing to play it, but having a strop when people ask! I've met Mark Eitzel, a man who writes Yorke into a cocked hat 12 times every album, but who has never broken through, and I can tell you that if he could have a hit that would pay his mortgage and see him through retirement, he could induce himself to play it every show. It's very easy to be sniffy and dismissive when you're already rich.

I recently interviewed Chip Taylor; the name probably won't be familiar, but he wrote Wild Thing, Angel of the Morning, and a LOT of country hits, has had a long and occasionally successful performance career of his own, and counts Jon Voight as his brother, and Angelina Jolie as his niece. I asked him which of his songs he was proudest of, expecting him to nominate something off a solo album that nobody has heard, but his response was immediate; "Wild Thing". I like a man who stands behind his work.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Dire Straits (saw them years back at Waltham Abbey and it was like listening to a CD - very weird)

+1

Have you ever read the sleve notes on Alchemy Live, basically states that it's a straight live recording with no overdubbing or fixing later in the studio. Then goes on to 'appologise' for 'stage buzz'. The album sounds amazing and I would say they sound better live than on CD.

It's also a sad reflection on most other live albums which are overdubbed and fixed in the later in the studio.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • BigJimmyB wrote:
    One of the main problems with this is the sound engineers at the venue. I've heard great bands (i.e. Audioslave - Chris Cornell plus the 3 instrumantalists from RATM) absolutely ruined by poor sound engineering live at Brixton academy.

The other is creating songs on albums that are difficult to reproduce live, all those little embellishments which would take about 30 musicians to cover on stage!

I used to sound mix for a local band when I was younger (nothing fancy just a group of mates who needed someone who knew their music..) I very soon learned that when the band sounded crap the sound guy got in the neck, and when they sounded good, no one acknowledged the mixing :wink:

It didn't help when the bloody blasted lead guitarist physically changed his amp volume halfway through a gig and blew every damn setting I had spent AGES getting right :evil:

Still - we had one gig where even the guys who owned the deck / sound system said I did a good job and people were turning to me halfway through and congratulating me - that was a great day 8) DId a single off that gig and it got played on Radio 1 a few times!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Saw The Enemy in Coventry last year - bloody brilliant live.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Waddlie wrote:
    On the other hand, I never had much time for the Fun Lovin Criminals, with their NYC gangster schtick. However, saw them live twice and they were absolutely incredible.

Someone who always seems appalling live on TV is Pink, although to be fair she's pretty shite on the radio too..

I have no time at all for the Fun Lovin' Criminals - I went to see them and they got so high before the gig they failed to show up at all.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Some of the best live gigs I've been too

Pink Floyd @ Earls Court 199? Pulse Tour
    David Gilmour @ Royal Albert Hall on the 'On an Island' Tour
    Roger Waters @ Glastonbury 2002 In The Flesh Tour
    Roger Waters @ Earl's Court 200? Dark Side of the Moon Tour
    Roger Waters @ Hyde Park 200? Dark Side of the Moon Tour
    Roger Waters @ 02 200? Dark Side of the Moon Tour

I think you can see a theme there.

Fish @ Kentish Town - Vigil Tour, Great gig, band where as good as Marillion if not better. However, also have a DVD of him playing Misplaced Childhood in Holland, utter shite as he's out of tune and all over the place.

Elton John – Coventry Football Ground 200x. Went along not expecting much, I like a few of his songs but I’m not fan. Utterly gripped about 3 songs in completely forgot about everything else for 90mins plus.

Madonna 1990 - Wembley Stadium, Blond Ambition Tour. Before you ask it was a free ticket. However, at the time I’d never seen anything like it. Many years later went with the wife to Wembley arena to see her again (can’t remember which tour), far too much money for what was at best an ok gig. IIRC £110 per ticket and £45 for program……

Lez Zeppelin - All Female Led Zeppelin tribute band, they were just great!

Best Gig ever, Iggy and Stooges earlier this year at Hammersmith - Musically not technically fantastic but best performance by a live band I've ever seen atmosphere was amazing. Unlike any other gigs I've ever been too.

Worst Gig - Genesis at Twickenham a couple of years back, had to buy £150 ‘VIP’ ticket package to get in and was really looking forward to seeing them. Things didn’t start well as the VIP package was an utter rip off, the ‘best’ seating was at the side near the back, the merchandising didn’t turn up until 3 weeks after the show, all this from the official fan club and authorized by the band! It spoilt the gig for me, and made me see it for what it was, a money making exercise. Not sure I really listened to the band much, but seem to remember the sound not being great and the atmosphere being subdued at best with people constantly back and forth to the bars as they lost interest.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • notsoblue
    SamWise72 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Brilliant moment when about half way through the set to incessant chants of "Do creep!!" Thom York addressed the audience with a withering look and sarcastically replied "Ok, we'll play creep....for ever" and then burst into a track that I believe was later to become 15 Steps.

What a fool. I find it hilarious that he's embarrassed by his most popular song, presumably because it sounds a bit 15 year old and angsty, and he reacts to that by acting all 15 year old and angsty and not only refusing to play it, but having a strop when people ask! I've met Mark Eitzel, a man who writes Yorke into a cocked hat 12 times every album, but who has never broken through, and I can tell you that if he could have a hit that would pay his mortgage and see him through retirement, he could induce himself to play it every show. It's very easy to be sniffy and dismissive when you're already rich.

I didn't interpret it that way to be honest. One of the reasons I admire Radiohead so much is that their sound is always developing, progressing, in an interesting direction. Every album is different but is still uniquely Radiohead. There aren't many bands that are like that.

I didn't interpret Thom Yorke's sarcastic comment as arrogance or a reluctance to please the audience (in fact it went down very well) but more an honest opinion about what the band is about and where his focus is

The thing is, there are long running bands that have their classic back catalogue, and will dine out on it until they retire. Their fans will love it, they know all the words and thats why they go to see them live. And there is really nothing wrong with that. But Radiohead isn't that kind of band imo. :)
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    love them or hate them Oasis are awesome live

Admittidly towards the end of the days they werent the best but i saw them all over europe and never let me down, Liam can be a c0ck but is a great frontman. The best gig i went to was oasis in Berlin in a small intimate venue

With regards to the small intimate venues i much prefer them. I saw Kasabian at the academy in birmingham and they were awesome, saw them at the NIA and just not the same.

Has anyone saw the Hives live before, awesome

One of the worst gigs i went to was the killers,Brandon Flowers just nothing it was like he was a robot.

Arctic Monkeys are good live aswell

Pete Doherty obviously rubbish live aswell

I went to see Kings of Leon around 7 years ago and the little civic in wolverhampton and they were awesome, saw them couple of years back and not so great
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Sketchley wrote:

Fish @ Kentish Town - Vigil Tour, Great gig, band where as good as Marillion if not better. However, also have a DVD of him playing Misplaced Childhood in Holland, utter shite as he's out of tune and all over the place.

Mr Fish to you......

Neil Young - seen him loads - great live even if a bit rough around the edges.

G Love and Special Sauce - amazing live, seen them a few times

But on the whole - from being at Festivals, I have seen more poor musicianship and stage presence than good.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    notsoblue wrote:
    SamWise72 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

What a fool. I find it hilarious that he's embarrassed by his most popular song, presumably because it sounds a bit 15 year old and angsty, and he reacts to that by acting all 15 year old and angsty and not only refusing to play it, but having a strop when people ask! I've met Mark Eitzel, a man who writes Yorke into a cocked hat 12 times every album, but who has never broken through, and I can tell you that if he could have a hit that would pay his mortgage and see him through retirement, he could induce himself to play it every show. It's very easy to be sniffy and dismissive when you're already rich.

I didn't interpret it that way to be honest. One of the reasons I admire Radiohead so much is that their sound is always developing, progressing, in an interesting direction. Every album is different but is still uniquely Radiohead. There aren't many bands that are like that.

I didn't interpret Thom Yorke's sarcastic comment as arrogance or a reluctance to please the audience (in fact it went down very well) but more an honest opinion about what the band is about and where his focus is

The thing is, there are long running bands that have their classic back catalogue, and will dine out on it until they retire. Their fans will love it, they know all the words and thats why they go to see them live. And there is really nothing wrong with that. But Radiohead isn't that kind of band imo. :)

Don't get me wrong, I do like Radiohead. I respect them as a band for all the reasons you've mentioned. I just don't love them. I used to, but their recent albums I just struggle to connect with on any emotional level. And in terms of the live performance I saw (around Hail to the Thief time) they managed to overcome the sh1tty Earls Court venue for half a set but then played about an hour of progressive jazz album fillers, I was practically asleep by the time they were done.

+1 for the Hives, I caught them at the Astoria just as they broke the UK and they were awesome. The Strokes on the other hand - well, it was just like playing the album back in a big room. Nothing special really.
  • plonk
    plonk Posts: 37
    I've seen the Hives - one of the funniest live bands i ever saw.

Beck is consistently brilliant too. Saw him at Roskilde in Denmark and it was completely jaw dropping.

I would love to see G Love, some of his early records are brilliant.

Other honourable live performance mentions go to Ben Folds Five, the Barenaked Ladies and Spiritualized. And i saw the Levellers in a tiny village hall in Suffolk. Fantastic.

Worst gig ever was a Ryan Adams show where he wandered on stage like he was lost, and then sat on a stool in silence looking through his notebook and furiously smoking. The tension was unbearable until some brave soul shouted 'is there any room up your arse for the rest of us?', to which he had no witty reposte. Shame, cos he's done some lovely songs.

Hnoured to share the same stage as Kate Rusby a couple of weekends ago. She was amazing, and a really lovely person to boot.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    We are scientists are pretty good live, not technically perfect in the way some other bands are, but just good fun. Same with the Rifles, I was absolutely pished the first time I saw them, and they were fantastic jump around and sing/shout along fun.

Muse are techincally brilliant and put on an incredible show (my favourite band live, or studio) but they don't say much to the audience.

I saw Dirty Pretty Things supporting Muse, they were rubbish, Carl whatsisface swaggered on stage and seemed to expect everyone to be impressed by the fact that he knew Pete Doherty, rather than working on improving the lazy performance.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Doves are pretty good live seen them at Glastonbury and at Brixton - must have caught them at a good moment.

Elvis Costello at the Royal Festival Hall this year - faultless and utterly brilliant.

Everything but the Giirl at the Albert Hall 1990 - liked the first album but they where just so boring , left with my date after 3-4 songs.

Paul Weller always great live - his records are OK but Mrs Cheeks loves him.

Meetings .....maybe more later
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Saw Powderfinger at the Sydney CEC in Darling Harbour when on a round the world trip in 2003, inc...redible. Got a little wanky at points as they were recording a DVD of the tour but the general awesomeness totally outweighed that side of things. Supported by the John Butler Trio who were also absolutely amazing...never before or since seen a bass player pick up a double bass and play it like the dude from Level 42...unreal.
    <expected flame> Also, Depeche Mode at Wembley Arena on Songs of Faith and Devotion Tour were untouchable...shame he was about a whisker off ODing at the time. </expected flame>
  • gtvlusso
    I did see Nirvana at Norwich Waterside(does it still exist) in 1990 ish - I even nicked the setlist written by Kurt Cobain, had his footprint on it too when he stepped on it. Someone stole the setlist from me - it was framed and in my house......

They were not great - loud, lots of stage presence, but not tight.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Worst to Best - a selected few

Athlete - dire, incredibly boring
    Faithless - just didn't seem to get going
    RHCP - so disappointing, couldn't compete with FF

Coldplay - actually pretty good even in the lightning storm

Metallica - professional and entertaining
    Faith no More - nutters, fantastic live
    Kylie - got to love her
    Foo Fighters - always good
    GnR - back in their day were just incredible
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • HVRNR
    HVRNR Posts: 20
    Sketchley wrote:
    Dire Straits (saw them years back at Waltham Abbey and it was like listening to a CD - very weird)

+1

Have you ever read the sleve notes on Alchemy Live, basically states that it's a straight live recording with no overdubbing or fixing later in the studio. Then goes on to 'appologise' for 'stage buzz'. The album sounds amazing and I would say they sound better live than on CD.

It's also a sad reflection on most other live albums which are overdubbed and fixed in the later in the studio.

Showing my age but I was at the Alchemy gig in ther front row! You can just catch a glimpse of me on the DVD. Very odd feeling!
    Some days you wake and immediately start to worry, nothing in particular is wrong its just the feeling that forces are quietly aligning and there will be trouble

Felt Z35
    FCN 4
  • Everything but the Giirl at the Albert Hall 1990 - liked the first album but they where just so boring , left with my date after 3-4 songs.

We did that when they played at Hull Uni (their home from home so to speak) back in '85. The place was packed at the start of the gig - 3 songs in it was almost empty. We (gf and me) were almost the last to leave... 4 songs.

They came on like they were sooo much better than the scummy students - immediate turn off for the people who had paid to see them, and they were so damned boring.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I was underwhelmed by the Manics but it was at the Corporate Brand and Shout Fest that is the V Festival. I think that a crowd and venue often makes or breaks a live show. Radiohead circa the Bends were spectacular in a smaller venue but the same band were snoozeworthy a few years later in Earl's shed.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    HVRNR wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

+1

Showing my age but I was at the Alchemy gig in ther front row! You can just catch a glimpse of me on the DVD. Very odd feeling!

Excellent! Were you standing near Knopfler when he briefly pauses during the intro in "Local Hero"?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Saw U2 in Cardiff on the Zooropa tour. Fantastic.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    cjcp wrote:
    Saw U2 in Cardiff on the Zooropa tour. Fantastic.

+1 - I went to that!

Alledgedly - they had to build Millenium stadium as U2 had played so loud that it had caused structural damage to the old Cardiff Arms Park......urban legend?

Great show with pi$$ poor sound quality.
  • HVRNR
    HVRNR Posts: 20
    cjcp wrote:
    HVRNR wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

+1

Excellent! Were you standing near Knopfler when he briefly pauses during the intro in "Local Hero"?

Yep, I was standing right in front him. Me and my mate Geoff queued outside the Odeon overnight for tickets (those were the days!). We even waited after the gig to get his and the bands autographs on my programme, which I have still got!
    Some days you wake and immediately start to worry, nothing in particular is wrong its just the feeling that forces are quietly aligning and there will be trouble

Felt Z35
    FCN 4
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I was underwhelmed by the Manics but it was at the Corporate Brand and Shout Fest that is the V Festival. I think that a crowd and venue often makes or breaks a live show. Radiohead circa the Bends were spectacular in a smaller venue but the same band were snoozeworthy a few years later in Earl's shed.

Manics are patchy. Utterly terrible at Glasto '99, thoroughly on fire at the Manic Millennium only a few months later.

I've now seen Radiohead 4 times...

Sept 2000, Kid A tour - thoroughly boring
    July 2001, Oxford homecoming - pretty damn good
    Glasto 2003 - Going through the motions
    Summer 2008, Victoria Park - incredible*

*I was in a section of the crowd who were really up for it. A mate of mine was much further back, a bit bored and annoyed by all the talking and mobile phones...
    Rules are for fools.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    GregT ... he's so much LESS in person :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    HVRNR wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    HVRNR wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

+1

Yep, I was standing right in front him. Me and my mate Geoff queued outside the Odeon overnight for tickets (those were the days!). We even waited after the gig to get his and the bands autographs on my programme, which I have still got!

8)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    plonk wrote:
    Beck is consistently brilliant too. Saw him at Roskilde in Denmark and it was completely jaw dropping.
    +bazillion. Went to a gig in the aston villa leisure centre, of all places, on the Odelay tour. Absolutely brilliant.

Also saw the Prodigy there around the same time. Also superb.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited December 2017
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Integer scelerisque dictum blandit. Donec condimentum felis magna, sed bibendum libero iaculis feugiat. Praesent vitae odio ut diam venenatis elementum. Praesent imperdiet ac velit quis tincidunt. Ut vel elit ut est consequat tempor in vel ante. Donec vehicula odio quis auctor accumsan. Nunc dolor libero, egestas vel consequat sed, auctor sit amet neque. Nulla vulputate accumsan massa, sed consequat quam rhoncus sed. Aenean vel molestie risus. Phasellus cursus mattis tincidunt.
  • notsoblue
    JonGinge wrote:
    plonk wrote:
    +bazillion. Went to a gig in the aston villa leisure centre, of all places, on the Odelay tour. Absolutely brilliant.

Also saw the Prodigy there around the same time. Also superb.

I saw Beck at a Belgian festival in '06 and he was awesome. The gig started with a string puppet version of the band on a tiny raised stage complete with tiny camera man that relayed everything to the big screens. Brilliant :)