what is it with people who ride with no lights

simonc2806
simonc2806 Posts: 31
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
The one big thing that really gets me wound up is people who cycle with no lights. you just can't see them till its too late. i drive for a living and last week the amount of people i saw was unbelivable. i always make sure my lights are working and have enough charge in the batteries. they way some people drive these days is it really worth taking a chance for the sake of a tenner.

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    simonc2806 wrote:
    The one big thing that really gets me wound up is people who cycle with no lights. you just can't see them till its too late. i drive for a living and last week the amount of people i saw was unbelivable. i always make sure my lights are working and have enough charge in the batteries. they way some people drive these days is it really worth taking a chance for the sake of a tenner.

Yup - there are some suicidal people out there.....Foggy in Bristol on Tuesday, I was the only cyclists with lights on out of the 8 other people I saw that day.....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Don't even need much more than a couple of Knog frogs....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I often ride with no lights - I find I am seen easily as there is a huge great yellow shiny thing in the sky which makes everything visible.

At night, however, I use lights.
    Hello! I've been here over a month now.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I often ride with no lights - I find I am seen easily as there is a huge great yellow shiny thing in the sky which makes everything visible.

What huge yellow thing? Is it a large frisbee?
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    I often ride with no lights - I find I am seen easily as there is a huge great yellow shiny thing in the sky which makes everything visible.

What huge yellow thing? Is it a large frisbee?

that's the one - what you mean you haven't seen it?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Speaking of the sun, it is just poking through the clouds in London. Might not get drenched on the ride home after all. Awesome 8)
  • Lots of bike-ninjas everywhere, but some places are worse. I arrived in Cambridge after dark last week, which is of course full of bikes, and I was one of only two lit cyclists I saw. The other one was coming the wrong way down the bus lane at me!
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • just realised i buggered up i was talking about a night you rarely need lights during the day. saying that some car drivers think you don't need lights at night. :oops:
  • simonc2806 wrote:
    just realised i buggered up i was talking about a night you rarely need lights during the day. saying that some car drivers think you don't need lights at night. :oops:

It was light hearted pedantry - I hope you take it all in the spirit it was intended 8) :wink:
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    It still amazes me.

Last night I cycled home, CL to SWL along A3 & A24; the amount of cyclist without lights was staggering, may be 20%

This will really crack you up, I stopped at the TLs just past South Colliers Wood, by the BK and PC World; a cyclist came up behind me and asked why I had so many lights ?

I could not believe it :shock:

I did not have the heart to tell him it was dark :lol:
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    At this time of year people just get caught out. Last week they were cycling home in daylight, this week it's dark before they get home.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Spotted (but only just) a super ninja last night. Not only no lights, no reflectives, etc. but also wearing a dark-grey hat and, get this: camouflage trousers and jacket. If only he'd have put the dark make-up on his face, I wouldn't have seen him at all
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Roll on 1st of October....my self imposed date for educating the unlit masses of Peterborough (Well my little corner of it).
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Mithras wrote:
    Roll on 1st of October....my self imposed date for educating the unlit masses of Peterborough (Well my little corner of it).

Education by truncheon...? :lol:
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Darkest morning so far today in the Sauffff.

To be fair, majority of peeps I saw had lights.

The beautiful looking lass also had one, but it was so tiny and the batteries seemed a little flat that it wasn't all that effective.
  • If people wore these it would help

http://www.proviz.co.uk/products/rucksack.html[/img]
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    What baffles me is where some riders go to the expense of buying a rear light and then either stuff it in their backpack's mesh pocket so it's more or less invisible or on a belt which they then put a coat over, which again means you can't see it.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    gbsahne wrote:
    What baffles me is where some riders go to the expense of buying a rear light and then either stuff it in their backpack's mesh pocket so it's more or less invisible or on a belt which they then put a coat over, which again means you can't see it.

Or the othe classic, they stick at the top of the back pack, lean over the handle bars and what do you know, no one can see it !

I spose God and his angles can see it :roll:
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Just a quick question about some new lights I've got.

I've got a couple of these as backup lights for the front (only cost me £2.99 each at the time!)

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... ct=c003247

They are great, but I'm a bit concerned the 'flash' mode is too good!

I mean, it flashes damm fast, and almost seems like it could cause a car driver a few problems.

Are such lights a danger to car drivers?

My main light which is a Hope is much brighter, but its flash mode is quite a lot slower, the new ones are like an out of control rave.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    legal limit is 4 per second
  • utter stupidity. SMIDSY doesn't need an excuse so don't give him one. I have daytime running lights too. I find when driving I see motorbikes with their daytime lights on sooner than unlit ones, so I try the same. for the sake of a couple of extra battery changes a year I'd rather flash all the time and give cars every opportunity to see me.
  • Levi_501 wrote:
    Or the othe classic, they stick at the top of the back pack, lean over the handle bars and what do you know, no one can see it !

I spose God and his angles can see it :roll:

stop being obtuse :P