Decathlon Stockport

MarkS1980
MarkS1980 Posts: 49
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
I'm a noob to the forum so I'm not sure this is in the right section, apologies if it isn't.
I just wanted to say how pleased I am with the service I received from Decathlon in Stockport.
I ordered a Sport One a couple of days ago and it was delivered today. I bought it because I wanted a cheap road bike for a 12 mile commute and after looking through the forum it seemed a good choice. I also noticed the workshop manager is a forum member and he seemed very helpful to other people so that made the decision even easier.
I haven't bought a bike for 13 years (a nasty Raleigh Max Ogre!) so I was a bit worried about ordering online and having to set everything up myself but I didn't need to worry. I fitted the pedals, adjusted the seat and handlebars and was ready to go. The brakes and gears worked perfectly and the bike felt great to ride. I'm very impressed.
So thank you to Decathlon for your great service. I highly recommend them. :D

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I'm glad you were happy with the service.We work hard to try an please 100% of our customers but offering the best service we can.Things don't always go to plan but we always try to rectify them in the best possible way.
    Don't forget to bring it back in the next 6-12 weeks for its free safety check, no need to book it in as we always try to do it while you wait.
    Any issues then feel free to drop me a line.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    Great to hear a good service tale!
  • Just to hijack this thread..................I was in Decathlon stockport about a month ago on a saturday and they had a turbo set up. It was the quickest mile or something like that. And with jeans and flat shoes on I managed the fourth quickest time and I eased off as well. After doing it I came over all competitive and was saying to the Mrs if I were wearing shorts etc I would have been fastest.

Well, the girl who was organising it said that a guy had said the exact same thing. He went home got all his cycling gear on had an energy gel and then knocked out the quickest time. He had also dragged his kid along.

It just made me laugh because it was such a cyclist thing to do. I reckon there were half a dozen blokes that day standing with their families explaining why they 'would' have been quickest.

Anyway, thread hijack over!!!!!!!!!!!

AL
  • I've just got back from my first proper ride before I start using it for my commute. I did a fair chunk of the commute route and back so covered 15.8 miles and it's perfect for what I need. No problems at all with the bike so I'm very pleased. I suppose time will tell how hard wearing it is but I certainly can't fault the way Decathlon set it up.
  • +1 always had excellent service in store and WG has been very helpful on here - even though I've not got round to taking sons Sport 1 back in to fettle the front mech yet.

nothing too much trouble and decent quality stuff.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Sorry to reply to an old thread but I also got my 2nd Decathlon bike recently and the service was excellent.

Its not just the service, compare the cheap road bikes Halford's do for £250-£400 and compare to the Decathlon bikes. With Decathlon they have put a lot of time and effort into giving you a light bike at a cheap price. For example my MTB has an SRAM cassette where the rear mech, front mech and shifters were all Shimano. Maybe thats because the SRAM cassette is about 100g lighter than the Shimano... so Decathlon do that sort of thing and they do all the research etc that a lot of beginners only start realizing after a year or so cycling, like aha the crankset is a heavy part, upgrade, or the cassette is heavy, upgrade... it seems with Decathlon you get an already souped up bike at a cheap price.

£300 for a 23lb road bike with a carbon fork is insane and always will be. :D nearly every reviewer says it rides like a £500 bike.

Consider that this is the cheapest road bike Decathlon sells and yet it has a carbon fork and you can see they are a lot more serious about cycling than Halford's are, understanding all the needs of any cyclist whether beginner or veteran, maybe with the exception of those Boardman bikes, which is all about Chris Boardman anyway, not Halford's! I mean they have to draft in people like Boardman to even sell a decent bike.

Halford's is to cycling as PC World is to computers. You could go there, but why would you! All you have to do is pick up a bike in Halford's and you're thinking about walking out, I do anyway. Some of their cheap FS mountain bikes are more than 17KG! Nice, if all you do is go downhill.

Decathlon makes Halfords redundant. Halford's is primarily a CAR SHOP. Decathlon is an out and out sports shop. Even most of the staff look like athletes... thats because most of them are. Its a far cry from Halford's, although it has its place (if you own a smelly car).