Two punctures in 2 miles :(

edb999
edb999 Posts: 44
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Well I had my first puncture on the road bike Tuesday night :( in fact its the first puncture I’ve had in years.
Felt the bike start to feel funny and sure enough the back was well on its way down, not sure if was an actual puncture or the valve as the little screw in bit was slightly bent.
Changed the tube, inflated and reinstalled wheel – took a bit of time, these 23mm tyres aren’t as easy as the big MTB ones!
By the time I was all done it was getting dark and I was on unlit roads and only had ‘emergency’ flashing lights with me and I was on unlit roads (green st green, to Bexley) which was very scary to say the least!
Well it hit a pot hole or something, at first I thought I got away with it but down it went (front this time). And having only 1 spare tube/ gas cartridge that was my lot, so nice 5 mile walk home for me! 
How many spare tubes does everyone normally carry?

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    2 tubes, 2 CO2 cans.
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    3 tubes since i had a double one day, with self adhesive patches just incase ( havent been used yet - touch wood ). I have also moved to gatorskins on both bikes since the double p******e.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    When out on the VN (usually longer rides).....

One tube, 2 x CO2, some glueless patches and a Lezyne Road Drive

on the BMC (shorter local rides)....

One tube, 1 x CO2, some glueless patches

Commuting on the BMC....

as above plus a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive in my bag.

SS

One tube, 1 x CO2 or Lezyne Micro Floor Drive in my bag and a 15mm spanner
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    edited September 2010
    The same puncture twice, maybe? I had one from a long sharp thorn that are common at this time of the year. I thought I'd removed it from the tyre casing, but I hadn't and the critter bit me again!
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • schweiz
    first was rear
    second was front
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Zero tubes on the commute / training rides. One on sportivs etc.

I always carry a puncture repair kit + pump though. The idea that I'll only ever have one puncture on any given ride is a complete joke. PB is 5, last Winter, all different before anyone states the obvious.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    schweiz wrote:
    first was rear
    second was front

Missed that! :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • i had two flats, one front, one rear in under 10metre! Fixed one then went a few yards and then got another.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I carry a can of tyre weld type stuff. One can will do two 23mm tubes and they won't puncture again. The fix takes <2 mins and half a can is more than enough per tube. This saves carrying tubes, tyre levers, spanners etc.

Once home, I change the tube but have been lucky and have only had one puncture. My cycling buddy has been riding on the same tube that he punctured for 6 months now, without changing it.

The best moose stuff is from Decathalon and is £1.99 for 75mm. It works with presta valves and schraders.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • schweiz
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I carry a can of tyre weld type stuff. One can will do two 23mm tubes and they won't puncture again. The fix takes <2 mins and half a can is more than enough per tube. This saves carrying tubes, tyre levers, spanners etc.

Once home, I change the tube but have been lucky and have only had one puncture. My cycling buddy has been riding on the same tube that he punctured for 6 months now, without changing it.

The best moose stuff is from Decathalon and is £1.99 for 75mm. It works with presta valves and schraders.

The other half has a Vittoria Pit Stop in her saddle bag as she can't (or rather, won't learn to) fix a puncture
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    I carry only the one, but I also carry my debit card too just in case I need to get a train home.

One of our club members got 4 punctures yesterday - 3 from his house to the meeting place (he ended up changing his wheels, presumably returning home after the second) and a 4th which occurred when sat stationary at the top of a hill regrouping for others. He didn't move - it just started hissing as the sound of compacting rubber echoed through the Surrey hills. :lol:
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    schweiz wrote:

Erm, what's the point of the patches if you only have 1 way of inflating?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I had a puncture down the phone once.

When I built my old Raleigh Road Ace back up I left it in the front bedroom. Whilst I was speaking to the mrs on the phone there was an almighty bang in the background. She was obviously a bit worried about what the hell it was and still did not know by the time I got home.
    I think the following day I discovered my bike with a substantial blow out in the tub.
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    This might seem a stupid question but I have been stumped for about a week now with a slow puncture, had the inner off and under water 3 times now and I cannot find the hole anywhere! Any advice? (Other than buying a new inner)
    exercise.png
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    How much pressure is in the tube when you put it under water?
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Phate
    dmch2 wrote:

It was about 60% inflated when I first tried it but then inflated it fully when I couldn't find the puncture!
    exercise.png
  • 1 x Spare tube
    1 x CO inflator
    2 x CO cartridges
    1 x Puncture repair kit
    Taxi number in my mobile for when I am out training (local)
  • I'd buy a new bike, why buy and change inners when a new bike will come with them? Bargain! :D
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Phate wrote:
    This might seem a stupid question but I have been stumped for about a week now with a slow puncture, had the inner off and under water 3 times now and I cannot find the hole anywhere! Any advice? (Other than buying a new inner)

You're not using CO2 to inflate it are you? Apparently it leaks out slowly even if there's no hole!
  • Phate
    I'd buy a new bike, why buy and change inners when a new bike will come with them? Bargain! :D

Thats exactly why I said don't tell me to buy new inners! Will be getting a new bike (Ribble Carbon Pro Evo) in about a month so refusing to shell out anymore on my MTB that will get scrapped/given away in a months time!

And rhetx, no not using co2!
    exercise.png
  • schweiz
    jibberjim wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

Erm, what's the point of the patches if you only have 1 way of inflating?

They're just in the saddle bag. When I commute I take a pump too. Also, bike shops round here usually have a track pump chained up outside too..and quite a few have vending machines for tubes.
  • Carry 2 spare tubes. A topeak road morph pump and my mobile with taxi firm dialled in just in case it all goes tits up :D
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Phate wrote:
    dmch2 wrote:

It was about 60% inflated when I first tried it but then inflated it fully when I couldn't find the puncture!

Inflating a tube so that it's diameter increases will damage the rubber structure and it will forever slowly leak.

Told to me by a LBS 35 years ago and never forgotten.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro