6lb Road Bike!

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id= ... Bike&num=3

Never seen pedals like that before?
The bar covers look a great idea instead of tape.

Will it take a rack? :wink:

Comments

• Wow!

Bet it climbs well!

The pedals can be got from poshbikes, silly light.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Light, yes. Fugly, to my eyes, yes.

I wonder how stiff the frame is? I'm betting not very.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I think it looks beautiful. It's got a wonderfully minimalist look to it - almost Pure Bike.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    There gets to a point where it's, well, pointless.

Other than as an engineering showcase or a vanity project what's the objective? I could make a full size roadbike that would weigh under a pound - but since it would have a frame of expanded polystyrene it wouldn't be much good to anyone...
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Looks horrible.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • can't see that lasting for long under my 214 lbs on my pot holed commute.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    SimonAH wrote:
    Other than as an engineering showcase

I'm guessing that is exactly the point. Get's their brand out there and known. Lots of publicity.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    The original version of this bike, built up by Gunter Mai, covered 20,000km in 2 years so it's not an unusable show bike.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • I can feel the bumps just looking at it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    AidanR wrote:
    The original version of this bike, built up by Gunter Mai, covered 20,000km in 2 years so it's not an unusable show bike.

That's barely more than 1km/hr - I can walk faster than that :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    SimonAH wrote:
    There gets to a point where it's, well, pointless.

I'm a 114kg, makes no difference to me if bike is a few kg lighter, so yep pointless. I'd probably break the thing anyway, I doubt it's rated to take my weight considering I'm not even suposed to ride a Boris Bike!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/15869.aspx

b.must not:
    ---
    v.load the:
    ---
    B.Cycle with a total weight of more than 115 kilograms;

Easily over that with, shoes, clothes, bag etc
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • So how much would a fixed version weigh? Ditch the gears, ditch the back brake. single carbon chain ring, ally sprocket, silly chain and a carbon hub...

20k km in 2 years. Bet I could break it in one commute though! Wonder how pothole proof the wheels are.

I like the looks though- long low and slender, whereas that Parlee at the bottom is like being stabbed in the eyes with rusty nails.
  • If I won the Lottery, I would buy it and then wind up its creator by fitting it with a really heavy Kryptonite d-lock and some tyres that weighed more than the bike in its current state.
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Light, yes. Fugly, to my eyes, yes.

I wonder how stiff the frame is? I'm betting not very.

It's a small size, with the bars rotated forward track-stylee. So it ain't never gonna look nice to me.

+1 on the not stiff. Tip: carry a dustpan and brush with you when riding it. Then you'll be able to clear up the mess when a stamp-down pullaway shatters it under you.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • You could probably save a bit more weight by losing the brifters and having the cable ends sit in some notches on the bars, change the notch to change gear!
  • The jockey wheels are drillium-tastic.
  • :shock: That's about 3lb lighter then my lightest child (9lb 8oz, I breed em big!)
    As JG and Mr66 say I can't imagine it being very strong and that point job is just nasty......needs to be matte black for the stealth bomber look :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Stuey01
    :shock: That's about 3lb lighter then my lightest child (9lb 8oz, I breed em big!)
    As JG and Mr66 say I can't imagine it being very strong and that point job is just nasty......needs to be matte black for the stealth bomber look :-)

errrr, it is matt black:

1035_Worlds_Lightest_Bike_10.jpg

Are you looking at the other bike in the gallery?
  • :facepalm:

DOH! Yes I was incorrectly referring to the other bike in the gallery......
    Having gone back and paid attention it's still not fantastic, I'd end up doubling the weight as I put some sensible pedals on :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • SimonAH
    How do those pedals work anyway?

• jonginge
    SimonAH wrote:
    http://www.aerolitepedals.com/products.htm
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Hope those cleats come with covers, they look more dangerous then Speedplays!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • SimonAH
    JonGinge wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

They are fantastic! That's the first clipless pedal system that I've seen that makes sense to me, if they weren't so staggeringly expensive I'd be tempted to betray my beloved cages. Effectively no moving parts.....

What am I talking about? I am tempted......gosh they're expensive though.

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SimonAH wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

They are fantastic! That's the first clipless pedal system that I've seen that makes sense to me, if they weren't so staggeringly expensive I'd be tempted to betray my beloved cages. Effectively no moving parts.....

Why does moving parts make clipless pedals senseless? Obviously, no moving parts is better but, for the most part, the presence or absence of moving parts makes no difference. These pedals only make more sense than those with moving parts if the lack of moving parts makes them last longer (a lot longer if they are expensive) and or weigh much less. Which may or may not be the case.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 2. Press down hard to SNAP onto pedal. This should require all your weight plus a little "bounce"

Sounds like a recipe for a face-plant I reckon!
  • jonginge
    Rolf F wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Why does moving parts make clipless pedals senseless? Obviously, no moving parts is better but, for the most part, the presence or absence of moving parts makes no difference. These pedals only make more sense than those with moving parts if the lack of moving parts makes them last longer (a lot longer if they are expensive) and or weigh much less. Which may or may not be the case.
    Also there's no float. That makes them an untenable proposition for a lot of folks. I wouldn't be able to use I don't think
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    I wouldn't be able to use I don't think

+1 I don't think we'd be able to get enough force to clip in #annoyinglightweights :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    JonGinge wrote:
    Also there's no float. That makes them an untenable proposition for a lot of folks. I wouldn't be able to use I don't think

+1

Also, it's not the sort of pedal you'd want to be clipping and unclipping frequently by the looks of it. Appears to rely too much on brute strength.
  • kelsen wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

+1

Also, it's not the sort of pedal you'd want to be clipping and unclipping frequently by the looks of it. Appears to rely too much on brute strength.

And fairly accurate foot placement, I mean I get a little bit of leeway with my SPD's but you'd have to be deadly accurate to get them clipped in.....the cleats also appear to offer no tension adjustment?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Stuey01
    So in summary of this entire thread:

BAH HUMBUG!!!!!!!