Cycle clubs in Denmark

mr_quiggs
mr_quiggs Posts: 15
edited May 2014 in Amateur race
Currently in the process of considering a job offer in Copenhagen. There is plenty of detail online about it's fantastic cycling culture and cycle networks, but very little on any cycling club scene - club TT's, road races etc etc.
Anyone got any information or experience of cycle clubs over there? I also realise that Copenhagen is very flat. How far do you need to go to find some hills?

Ned Flanders: “You were cycling two abreast?”
Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were cycling to a lake.”

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Mr_Quiggs wrote:
    Currently in the process of considering a job offer in Copenhagen. There is plenty of detail online about it's fantastic cycling culture and cycle networks, but very little on any cycling club scene - club TT's, road races etc etc.
    Anyone got any information or experience of cycle clubs over there? I also realise that Copenhagen is very flat. How far do you need to go to find some hills?

Germany.

Been on hols to Denmark 3 times to different parts, dont recall any hills of any significance, the whole country is pretty flat.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Don't know if this is too late or you didn't go for the job in Copenhagen.

I am from Denmark and lived in Copenhagen for about a year. As said above the whole country is pretty flat although if you go to the main land (Jylland) around the town Vejle you will find some hilly areas, but nothing more than "rolling hills".

There are plenty of cycling clubs in Denmark. Try these links to cycle clubs in and around Copenhagen:

http://www.cyclingworld.dk/index.php?p= ... php&spec=4

http://www.cyclingworld.dk/index.php?p= ... hp&spec=10

The only problem you will have is that not many of these clubs will have websites etc. translated to English but you should be able to find contact details.

I will be happy to help further if you need any
  • Hi Kim, I'm only 18 from australia and I'm moving there towards the end of this year for a year or so. i was wondering what the racing is like in Denmark, i am going to Belguim aswel to race and i know a lot of people who have raced there and have heard a lot about the racing there. Like there is racing everyday over there, do you know how much racing is in Denmark? is it just like Australia racing only on weekends?
    Thanks
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Hi – not 100% up to date with the Danish racing scene as I have not lived there for quite some years now but here is a couple of helpers.

Firstly to answer your question, yes most of the racing is in the weekends and on bank holidays (you get quite a few in the spring). Try and use this link: http://www.dcu-tilmelding.dk/
    This is the DCU (Danish Cycling Union) race list. Most races are organised through them. If you follow the link (unfortunately only in Danish) look at the column Lobstype (type of race); Banelob = track, Samlet start = road race, Etapelob = multiple day event, Enkelstart = Time trail, Holdlob = team race, Gadelob = criterium. This will give you an idea of where the races are; remember you need to obtain a licence to race in DCU races.
    The best advice is probably to contact a couple of clubs, either when you get there or before, which are close to where you will be living. The links in my previous post has got all the clubs which are members of the DCU. Don’t be afraid to contact them in English they will/should understand and respond. Most of the bigger clubs in and around Copenhagen have members that are racing regulary and most will have a dedicated contact person that should be able to help and give advice.
    Good luck with the move and if you get stuck on the websites (translation etc) let me know and I shall try and help as much as I can. Also start saving up now - a pint of lager in Copenhagen is much more than in Australia!! :lol:
  • laney93
    laney93 Posts: 2
    thanks for your help! i will get in contact if i need any more help. Oh and if anyone has any mopre info or help i will be thankful if you give me any more info!!
  • Moby78
    Moby78 Posts: 2
    So, to all those who were moving or considering a move (Mr_Quigg and laney93) - did you move and if so, how did you find it?

Am also in a similar position to Mr Q in maybe having the opportunity to move to CPH and want to know what the options are.
  • Mountainbiking im Harz

Das absolute Highlight für Mountainbiker ist die Volksbank-Arena Harz mit alleine 62 ausgeschilderten Routen und etwa 1.800 km erlebnisreicher Strecke in faszinierender Landschaft.
    Sie wollen mountainbiken und benötigen das richtige Equipment oder möchten an einer geführten Tour teilnehmen? Kein Problem. Sprechen Sie uns einfach an.

http://www.harzidyll.de

Hotel Harzidyll
    Bodestr. 4
    38700 Braunlage

Tel.0049 5520 804668

info@harzidyll.de
  • Hi
    I will be working at Copenhagen airport for two or three months from jan 10th so it would be good to get some training in with anyone interested. I have contacted a velodrome about training days and I am waiting for a reply from them. If I get some info from them I will keep you posted.

Gav
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I went to Denmark when I was 10, loved it!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I will be interested to hear how people got on with their moves. I will be moving out to Denmark at the end of January and hopefully looking to hook up with a Triathlon or Cycling Club in the Copenhagen area. Any further recommendations or advice would be greatfully recieved.

Many Thanks

Mike
  • Hello everyone,
    I currently live in Copenhagen, and am looking for people to train with. I am quite new to the sport, but have been going hard. let me know if anyone needs a buddy.
    Kristina