Reconvering after a Crash

LjStronge
LjStronge Posts: 287
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I went to Swinley last night and had quite a big off round Stickler.

I was hammering it round the trail and came up to a basic right turn, banked the bike in but left my right foot down going in, I must of had massive pedal stike into the tree trunk on the corner as looking after I took a massive chunk out of it.

I landed on my knee a couple of meters further down the trail with my bike on top of me.

Apart from the agony I felt in my knee (I was nearly sopping like a girl) and a smashed back brake lever, no real damage done.

After I let my knee calm done and stopped bleeding we carried on with our ride.

My problem is that from that point, I was second guessing everything I was doing. I had no confidence and couldn't keep any speed up. I was slow and wobbly and felt like I had completley forgotten how to ride a bike off road!

This went on for the whole ride and initially I thought it was just the shock of the crash but I just couldn't get over it. I wasn'st specifically worried or hurt but something wasn't right.

Do you guys ever suffer from this after a big off or am I just being a girl and need to man up?
Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.

Comments

• JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Always to be expected after a big off really, esecially if your knee was a bit tender. It is merely your body's way of saying you need to rest up! The last thing it needs is for you to keep riding on it like you did and so the body will make an effort to stop that!

Rest up for a bit and then get back out on the bike. Notthing to worry about I'd say.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    sorry to hear that mate

I'd think being a bit overcautious for the rest of the ride was perfectly natural I wouldn't sweat it

Where is the stickler?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Stickler is a short ride from the Whole Nine Yards.

If your going down The Whole Nine Yards from the start, at the second break turn right and who come across it.

It connects straight into Tank Traps - Which is also awesome.
  • t0pc4t
    I don't know any of these routes, I really need to hook up with you man!
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • t0pc4t wrote:
    I don't know any of these routes, I really need to hook up with you man!

Dude?You must know the whole nine yards?

It's a mile long!

You about next week?
  • t0pc4t
    saturday 2nd oct for sure, also will be down there sunday this week

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • and you weren't wearing knee protection?

tsk

But yeh after every big crash we are all cautious, your body is slighty shakey from the shock of it and so on, but wait for the scars to heal a bit so your fit and get out and it will be the same as before you crashed mate.
  • and you weren't wearing knee protection?

tsk

But yeh after every big crash we are all cautious, your body is slighty shakey from the shock of it and so on, but wait for the scars to heal a bit so your fit and get out and it will be the same as before you crashed mate.

Believe it or not, My knee protection was left at home!

I do have them for that reason, but don't use are protection. I have a full face as well because I am scared after my mate mashed up his Chin on Skyline in Afan.

Topcat, I might be able to make the 2nd of Oct mate I'll let you know, not a defo as I am doing trail trax with Gorrick on the 3rd
  • t0pc4t
    wicked, would be ace, if not then then another time for sure

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • isn't just crashes that'll do that to you!
    I pulled whilst I was... ahem... 2 and a half years into a relationship. The following days ride was like I was a 12 year old on my dads roadie tackling Fort William - I was mentally buggered. Eventually I stacked it bad and pretty much rolled everything back to the car. Broke up with the girl the next day, the two events were a calling that it needed to be done.
    Anyway... Man up...
  • Check out my embarrassing crashes thread, it might make you feel better.
  • As soon as your body will let you, go back to that bit of the trail and ride it.

Watch a few people ride it to see what they do and then just ride it yourself a few times. That'll get your confidence back (as long as you don't crash again! haha)
    For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
    www.pedaltoprogression.com
  • I.m recovering from a broken Collar Bone after going over the bars a couple of weeks ago, hurt like hell , but getting better :roll:

I know my first ride will be slow and wobbly but shouldn't take long to find my mojo....

Dalby 1 , Me 0