Dopey question about pedals and cleats

BoingBoing
BoingBoing Posts: 383
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm used to riding a mountain bike in spd's and have so far used mtb pedals and my existing shoes/cleats on my road bike. The pedals are however unnecessarily heavy and robust and I'd prefer something lighter and more appropriate.

My GF rides with road shoes with big plastic cleats on the bottom and road pedals, these however are impossible to walk in and seem to have a much more aggressive hold to them

I'd really like something with a mtb style spd cleat so I can use shoes I can still walk in but with some lightweight non burly pedals....does such a thing exist?

Comments

• sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    I've read the speedplay pedals have the most walkable cleat
    I like white bikes
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    sundog wrote:

Really? They're slippy as hell.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    spd m520 pedals are small and currently only twenty quid from Evans.

Is that any better than what you have already got? I am imagining you might have those MTB pedals with the platforms around the actual spring clip itself??

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    sundog wrote:

I think you may have mis-read that.....
  • pneumatic wrote:
    spd m520 pedals are small and currently only twenty quid from Evans

M520's is what I'm running now, they just seem to weigh more than the bike itself!
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Crank Bros egg beaters. They are small and light, decreasing in weight as you go up in price. The Ti version is superlight but eye-wateringly expensive.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    sundog wrote:

i've got 'em, i don't walk more than 3-4 metres without the covers, even then have to be careful, there's no grip on many surfaces

with the plastic covers it's like walking with a block of wood stuck on the ball of the foot, ok for a short distance but not very elegant, stairs/ramps can be tricky even with the covers on

lovely for riding, not for walking
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Shimano A520?
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Crank Bros egg beaters. They are small and light, decreasing in weight as you go up in price. The Ti version is superlight but eye-wateringly expensive.

This.

SLs are a good compromise. The cleat is tiny and doesn't get in the way or interfere with walking at all.

They do need a bit of TLC occasionally (i.e. regreasing), but certainly meet the need you describe.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Stuey01 wrote:

I'm looking at buying some new clipless pedals at the moment and everything I read about the Crank Bros pedals with regards to durability is a bit worrying - they seem very fragile and require high maintainence compared to many others, which is pretty much exactly what I don't want. Having said that, they seem like the best clipless MTB system at not clogging up with mud. Swings and roundabouts.
    FCN 2 to 8