Mid life crisi, what me!!!!!

Rich158
Rich158 Posts: 2,348
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I wonder how many of us this describes :wink:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/aug/11/midlife-crisis-bikes-cars

I nearly wet myself when it got to the part about the marathon, I've just signed up for nest years :oops: :oops: :oops:
pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Ah, the Grauniad. Always to be relied upon.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    And he suspects there is another reason middle-aged men are getting into bikes. "You can buy lots and lots of kit for them," he says, "and you can tinker with them. Blokes like that, and you can't do it with modern cars, can you?"

+1 on all counts
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Rich, marathons are fun. Beer is a recovery drink :wink:
  • I am tempted to fit downtube friction shifters on my bike, to remind me of my lost youth.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I still have downtube friction shifters on mine :(
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Probably me to a T :D

I'm 45 & 4 years ago, I "gave up" drinking lager & used the "saved" money to buy a Subaru Impreza RA to play in. At the same time, I took up getting myself fit (cycling/gym) & also karate. Have to own up to drinking beer nowadays (no lager!) and I sold the RA last year, just after I bought a new MTB. 2 years ago, I left my wife (though not for anyone else and it was long overdue) & moved back to London. Took up commuting by bike and a couple of months ago bought my first roadie. I'm fitter now than I was 1/2 my age and I'm amazed at just how much women like a toned body - wish I'd realised that when I was younger ;) G/f is my age rather than some 20 yo. Done my first XC race and contemplating doing more. Money spent on biking is far less than you would spend on a car.

Mid-life crisis? I'm not sure, its nothing to do with mortality just a realisation that being healthy is fun and great for your sex life ;) There are other quality of life aspects coming into play as well, such as life/work balance and whether or not chasing the buck is the best way forward.

My daughter calls me a MAMIL - Middle Aged Man In Lycra :D