Fit rear lights to Rear Rack

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
I've fitted my P-X Ti Sportive out with a a Tortec Velocity Rear Rack. It has a single hole at the back on the plate for a light or reflector to be fitted I presume. I have a cateye TL-610 rear light. The cateye rear rack mounting accessory that is available is unsuitable for it as it requires 2 fixing points so what way are people fitting theirs. I had it suggested to me that I using the existing flex grip to mount it and put a piece of copper tubing behind the rack bracket and fix round the bracket and copper tubing. Looks like it would work. Any other suggestions?

Also need another rear light as my other rear light (cateye TL-1100) dropped off the other morning (my own fault - I had wedged against the saddle bag and the saddle bag unclipped it when I hit a bump :oops: ).

Smart R2 looking a likely candidate. Anybody forsee any problems with using this and the rear rack. I can keep the Cateye attached to my saddle bag hook.

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I used some old handlebar grips I had kicking around to "fatten" the supporting strut on my pannier rack, and attached the seat post light bracket to that instead..seems to work!!

all seems to be a bit random as to which lights/brackets work with what racks....
  • doyler78
    Yeah seems to be that way. They should really standarise this or the rack manufacturers should offer a few adapters that could add a little versatility.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    You might be able to bodge it with a couple of cable ties: you could thread one tie through each hole on your cateye mounting plate, both of them through the hole on your rack, round the appropriate edge and then zip them tight. That should hold it.

Doesn't help much, but from what research I did there are two 'standards' for attaching rear lights to racks and the cateye plate comes with instructions for fitting to both of them. For one of the standards, it simply recommends the use of cable ties anyway, so this approach isn't far away from what cateye would suggest in the first place.
  • doyler78
    Ah right. That clarifies things a bit more. I will take a closer look at things this evening.