Two wheels.

phoebian
phoebian Posts: 497
edited September 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Mountain biking is fun and I love it.

But does anyone have two wheels with an engine in the middle and if so, what do you ride, who with and how long have you been doing it?

I am picking up my first bike on Friday.

gsxr 600 k6.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited September 2010
    I have this silly thing...

finalsmall.jpg

Started out as an SV650S, now it's not too sure what it is but it's got GSXR, Blade, R1 and Busa DNA in it plus a bit of Ohlins, HRC and Dymag mutation to boot. Oh and a bit of Renault. It gets neglected a bit now but it's the work of daftness and obsession and it's brilliant for it 8) Could've got a 996 or a GSXR thou for the money, no bother but this one's mine. And who needs more than 85bhp at the rear wheel with a 170kg (fully-wet) bike :twisted: Still manages to hold its own in the fast group with the racebikes and litre boys, or did once upon a time when I was quicker.

Been riding about 6 years now I think, a year on a 125 and then the rest of the time and the next 50000 miles or so on the SV. Used to be seriously into it, rode a lot with the SV650.org forum group and took it off to forn parts but these days it's really just transport, I was already kind of falling out of love with road riding then I got back into mountain biking so it's not often I just think "Let's go for a ride".

On the plus side, highly modified bikes aren't worth a lot so I don't have to feel bad about not selling it :lol:

First bike a GSXR6? Be prepared to be patronised by older wise heads :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have 3 non-human powered bicycles.

A custom 1971 Triumph T140 chop

A 2006 Suzuki RM 250 MX bike (which is fecking mental...)

And a 2009 Triumph Speed Triple (which I loooooove).

I don't really ride with anyone for the most part. I've been riding off-road about 2 years, on road just over a year. I've just ticked over about 16,300 miles, with about half being in foreign countries.

If it's your first bike, it's a bit.... extreme, no? Twitchy handling, grabby brakes, cramped position, restricted vision, sensitive throttle... Maybe that's just because I ride a REALLY easy-to-ride bike. I've ridden 600 sports bikes, and they're not my style. If they suit you though, fair play.

I don't envy you much, especially in the lead up to the winter....

Good luck! lol

Oh, and pics, yeah.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • I would agree it is a little extreme. But I don't want to end up having the "I wish I got this or that when I had the chance". Already had all the words from my father and also read this story( http://www.cmyoung.com/bikewreck.html ).

I am certainly not going to disrespect the machine any time soon and certainly won't be sharing the road with ice!
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    45709_429196904206_501389206_4695019_2793145_n.jpg
    1700 miles on the clock.

that is all.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,469
    psymon wrote:
    45709_429196904206_501389206_4695019_2793145_n.jpg
    1700 miles on the clock.

that is all.
    Lovely bike, classic - but why hardly ever ridden :?:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • psymon
    psymon Posts: 1,562
    a (rich) friend of my dads bought it brand new in1995 put a thousand miles on it then stuck in the back of a garage, forgotten.
    it sat there till this year when i found out about it.
    £2000 not bad for a brand new classic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,469
    psymon wrote:
    a (rich) friend of my dads bought it brand new in1995 put a thousand miles on it then stuck in the back of a garage, forgotten.
    it sat there till this year when i found out about it.
    £2000 not bad for a brand new classic!
    Nice one: now get out and rag the t1ts off it :twisted: Or I'll come round and nick the engine to go in that bike-powered Caterham I've always promised myself.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I had one of these
    DSCF5326.jpg

These
    100_1387.jpg

Made this from a wreck
    003-16.jpg

After doing this
    GetAttachment.jpg

Then
    DSC_0097-1.jpg

Then this
    010-11.jpg

Then this
    DSC_0073.jpg

Also made a 2T crosser.
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    I'm about 90% through sorting this out. Just the oil radiator and instruments to sort now.

23062010460.jpg

My god, they were not made to be mithout a fairing. I've had to completely re-wire it (30 metres of wire! just to move a fusebox and relays under the seat!), make a special bracket to fit the front two coils inside the frame, just in front of the mahoosive airbox. gonna either move the oil radiator or fashion a stainless steel cover and put a couple of LED running lights above it. Centre stand needs taking off and refreshing. Maybe a belly pan, maybe shiny collectors. If the ones on there aren't too bad, I have high temp white paint to go on them. Lower forks may be removed and sprayed black, then I'll change the seals and bushings in there. The rear panels were separate, but they're one smooth piece that goes all the way over (not the cowl though). The paint on everything but the tank is still covered with polishing paste, so doesn't look shiny... I should really finish that.

Oh yeah, it was a honda VFR750 that got pranged.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    phoebian wrote:
    But does anyone have two wheels with an engine in the middle and if so, what do you ride, who with and how long have you been doing it?
    p3010176.jpg
    Riding motorycles since 1978.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I had a scooter, rode it twice, hated it, not the actual riding, more the feeling of helplessness around other road users.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    gazderry wrote:
    I had a scooter, rode it twice, hated it, not the actual riding, more the feeling of helplessness around other road users.

4290-large1.jpg?

It's a well known fact that scooters rank below roller blades in the hierachy of vehicles.

Anyway, I've got a Hirusuki FT657GSXTde435. It's phat.

Seriously, though, motorbikes are an absolute mystery to me, I have no idea on the 'scale' of engine sizes (E.g. I'd know a 1.8/2.0l in a 4 door saloon was fairly typical, but not a clue about bikes). Then you've got power as opposed to just engine size, what can you ride and when? And I also don't know what's good, or how much they cost! :lol:
    It's something I'd like to do though...:wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gazlar
    i meant chav dance sensation Scooter, rode him twice but that was enough
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    bails87 wrote:
    Seriously, though, motorbikes are an absolute mystery to me, I have no idea on the 'scale' of engine sizes (E.g. I'd know a 1.8/2.0l in a 4 door saloon was fairly typical, but not a clue about bikes). Then you've got power as opposed to just engine size, what can you ride and when? And I also don't know what's good, or how much they cost! :lol:
    It's something I'd like to do though...:wink:

You can take a simple CBT and then ride a 125cc motorbike (on an A1 license), which do about 65mph.

If you take a restricted licence (A2) then you may ride a bike with 33bhp, these are normally 250cc bikes that are capable of around 90mph. Though you can get a more powerful bike restricted to 33bhp to satisfy the license.

A a step on from that, and only an option if you are over 21, you may take the direct access, or accelerated access, whereby you take the test on a more powerful machine, and then you are qualified to ride any bike you choose to.

Before any of that it's worth just having a go on a motorbike through the 'Get On' scheme, to see if you like it.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • I have a Yamaha XJ600 Diversion now (it is for sale cheap though)...but I have had quite a few bikes.
    50cc Suzuki Katana scooter
    125 Kawasaki AR125
    Yamaha XJ600 Diversion
    Kawasaki ZZR600
    Suzuki GSXR400
    Yamaha XJ600F
    Yamaha TRX850
    Honda VTR1000 Firestorm
    Kymco 125 scooter
    Suzuki GS500
    Yamaha XJ600 Diversion

I've had one or 2, now giving them up, lost the enjoyment since I sold the VTR1000 :(
    Caz xx
  • Gazlar
    I would end up dead if i so much looked at anything with any name like any of those, thats why I stick to at least 4 wheels when there is a motor attatched.
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Whytepeak wrote:

Before any of that it's worth just having a go on a motorbike through the 'Get On' scheme, to see if you like it.
    Probably a good idea, I've literally never even sat on one. I have no idea how they work. Okay, you twist the throttle thingymajig to make it go, but gears, brakes, clutch?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Whytepeak
    bails87 wrote:
    Whytepeak wrote:

Probably a good idea, I've literally never even sat on one. I have no idea how they work. Okay, you twist the throttle thingymajig to make it go, but gears, brakes, clutch?

Left side of the bike is for gears... the gear lever is controlled by your left foot, and the clutch is the lever on the left of the bars.
    The 'going and stopping' of the bike is controlled on the right of the bike, the rear brake is controlled by your right foot, the front brake is the lever on the right of the bars. and the accelerator is the right twist grip (though you already knew that :lol: )
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Hmm I'll have a motorbike one day... I tried my dads in the garden years ago and I couldn't believe how heavy the bugger was!!
    For now, I love my bus.
    What sort of MPG does a tourer or sports get?
  • Whytepeak

Dependant on what type of engine it is, and how hard you ride it, though it would be fine to expect about 40-50mpg for a tourer and about 35-40mpg for a sports bike.
  • Whytepeak wrote:

Dependant on what type of engine it is, and how hard you ride it, though it would be fine to expect about 40-50mpg for a tourer and about 35-40mpg for a sports bike.
    Sounds about right.

Moreover, it depends how much you want to smash the tits off the bike. Harder you ride, more fuel you will burn.

If just plain fuel efficiency, best to get a 125 / 250cc 4 stroke. It's not at all uncommon to get over 80mpg, and still manage 90mph (though not at the same time! Haha!)

Motorbikes are for winners in life 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • I must be a loser in life, coz my bike has to go :(...I'm gutted
    Caz x
  • Why does it have to go...?

I read before you just fell out of love for bikes? How come?
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • I'm skinty poo :(....need the money, and I have no biking mates so i just don't ride anymore....it's all crapola.

Wanna buy a bike ;)
    Caz xx
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't have any clear idea what sort of mpg I got out of my 125, the stops were too far apart to keep track on, it ran on vapours pretty much. The SV drinks as much as it feels like, it can do 50mpg if I'm gentle or something like 15mpg on track.

Bikes vary a lot but don't expect it to be cheap to run, some stuff like tax is cheaper but they're not as economic as they should be and some parts don't last long, and can be expensive. Tyres frinstance, if you want to run sporty tyres on a sporty bike you're going to be replacing a rear every 2000-4000 miles depending on how you ride and that's not cheap. (I use sticky-ish road rubber than lasts about 7000 miles to a rear and it's still a kick in the wallet compared with doing all 4 corners of a car for £180 and then forgetting about it for years.)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • You definitely should buy another bike :lol:

Fair point about being skint - it's a permanent condition I share with my bank account...

3 pedal bikes, and 3 motorized versions... Bloody two-wheeled obsession ay? :lol:

I guess you ride (or used to!) alot with your friends? I just can't get used to riding with anyone else - it always feels dangerous...
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Whytepeak
    I'm skinty poo :(....need the money, and I have no biking mates so i just don't ride anymore....it's all crapola.

Wanna buy a bike ;)
    Caz xx

Sell it Caz, wait until you find some cash down the back of the sofa (or sell the bloomin' horse :wink: ), then get down to a meet in rivington, some beautiful bikes there... you'll reinvest in no time :D .
  • Picking this beauty up tomorrow :)

Will be riding all weekend!!

gsxr.jpg
  • phoebian wrote:
    Picking this beauty up tomorrow :)

Will be riding all weekend!!

gsxr.jpg
    Exhaust looks.... loud :lol:

Now, need to get shot of the heavy, useless (obviously...) silencer underneath the bike. Operation number 1, right?
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Whytepeak wrote:
    I'm skinty poo :(....need the money, and I have no biking mates so i just don't ride anymore....it's all crapola.

Wanna buy a bike ;)
    Caz xx

Sell it Caz, wait until you find some cash down the back of the sofa (or sell the bloomin' horse :wink: ), then get down to a meet in rivington, some beautiful bikes there... you'll reinvest in no time :D .

I couldn't sell my horse! lol....even Pedigree Chum wouldn't take him lol.

I will return to motorbikes again one day, just need to sort out my life and health and then I will have another big sports V twin again :D
    Caz xx