Tag-a-long in Titanium?

Flambes
Flambes Posts: 191
I regularly commute with, and take my 6 yr old out for rides, towing him on his Tag-a-long. I got a reasonable one (Adventure Echo), which is all alloy, but still weighs a ton.
Sometimes it's all the training I get, so would love to make it more efficient.

Sooooo, I was wondering about ordering the Chinese titanium company XACD to make one to the same spec as the Echo, but in Titanium. Then put some lightweight bits on. Can't see why it wouldn't come in at ~12-14lbs at the most.

Anyone else thought about a high performance tag?
I've another boy at 2, which will no doubt use it, so it's not just for the next couple of years.
I'd imagine resale on Ebay may be pretty good as well.

Anyway - thoughts?

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Flambes wrote:

Errr.... no,
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    OK. A better solution.

TrailGator with their own (light) bike. Gives you a myriad of riding options.

Or...
    A tandem. Much lighter. Only two wheels (not three). Ones made with kid-sized rears on them... or...

234.jpg
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    Thanks for the reply.

I considered a Trailgator before getting a tag, but was put off because kids bikes still weigh a lot (mine has a Specialized Hotrock which weighs more than my road bike), plus the weight of the Trailgator, wouldn't be light. Also his bike has a coaster brake, which could be nasty if operated. Also I've seen too many (probably poorly adjusted) Trailgator setups with the childs bike not only at a steep angle, putting the child in a very upright position, but also leaning over to one side.

I'd love a tandem, and that one in your photo looks brilliant for a wekend ride, but my commute routine is to drop him off at school, then cycle home on my own with tag left at work so I enjoy my ride home. Not sure a tandem would allow me to do that.

I tells ya, titanium tag-alongs are the way to go! Well, maybe for 0.000000016% of the population.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You should be able to ride the tandem. You still have the gears/brakes and those kiddieback tandems are prob. not that much heavier than an average bike. Dawes do one for approx £600 and they look a lot of fun
    M.Rushton
  • If that's your only training, then surely it's good to have to pull some extra weight, so that it makes you work harder?

I've gone from towing a trailer with 2 toddlers sitting inside, to a tag along ... and all that towing has really helped my solo cycling fitness.

Plus, you'll save a fortune so will be able to afford yourself a new bike soon ;-)
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    Flambes wrote:

I have thought about this for my my son's Burley 7 speed ...we already often exceed the `do not exeed 15 mph' warning stuck on the frame, though only on supersafe road/track stretches. Potential mods would be mainly along the lines of petite drop bars with dummy hoods, a more comfy(?) seat and a slick narrower tyre. But it seems like a lot of work...he's already 8 now and even if he doesn't get much heavier he's probably only got another year or so on it, max.. We will sell the tag to help fund his next solo bike and that also dissuades me from now making it too esoteric and racy give the next purchaser will probably want it for a 4 or 5 year old.
    I content myself that if he is keen in his teens we can aim to get a high performance full size tandem to play with.