Training , which route?

DonOfAshford
DonOfAshford Posts: 53
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all, hopefully an easy one, new to time trials, only been at it two months training 4/6 times a week averaging 12 /16 miles a time, (can't do much more than this although could do double distance at weekends if helpfull)
I have a couple of routes to chose, one is fairly flat with ""inclines" and incorporates the 10 mile time trial route I do, the other is "rolling hills" with a max of a mile flat, the hills knock me down to 7mph, and thats with a lot of effort! whereas the other route I drop to about 12mph at worst and spend most of the time at 19mph plus, to be honest I enjoy the hillier route more, and it has less traffic, however that aside which is best for increasing my overall speed/ fitness ?

Cheers Don

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    both
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Don

Don't worry about speed, for those sort of distances I would try and train at around threshold level for some of the rides, and tempo at other times. The correct training will increase your speed & fitness rather than a particular route.

If you don't have a HRM/Power then you will have to gauge this on perceived effort. The effort should just be below your 10m TT pace/effort.

To be honest it doesn't matter what route you choose, in fact I would do a variety of routes, it is the effort that is the key factor.

Perhaps nearer the start of the new TT season do some intervals at over 10m TT pace for about 4 mins, with a 4 min recovery, and do this a few times at first incresing both the time spent at this speed, along with an increase in the number of intervals.