how good are trek at replacing frames?

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Finally got round to get new groupset for bike so took it to the lbs to get sorted yesterday

Had to drop the bb off today and the mechanic said he had a confession. He picked up my frame and showed me (cant think what its called) the bit on the frame where the cable goes through has snapped off the frame.

The lad in the shop said they have got in touch with Trek and will try and get a replacement as it has a lifetime warrenty and i bought it from there. I cant see how they could fix it to be honest as it has snapped cleanly off

Are Trek any good at giving frame replacements and what is the likelyhood of me getting a new frame or will they try and repair it?

My only concern is that its a 2009 trek 1.2 and dont think there will be many of these frames knocking around, would i get an upgrade?

Im not having much luck with this bike, get new wheels which need to be sent back due to spokes snapping and they sorted but now have a brand new 105 groupset and wheels but a broke frame :(

Comments

• andy83 wrote:
    Finally got round to get new groupset for bike so took it to the lbs to get sorted yesterday

Had to drop the bb off today and the mechanic said he had a confession. He picked up my frame and showed me (cant think what its called) the bit on the frame where the cable goes through has snapped off the frame.

The lad in the shop said they have got in touch with Trek and will try and get a replacement as it has a lifetime warrenty and i bought it from there. I cant see how they could fix it to be honest as it has snapped cleanly off

Are Trek any good at giving frame replacements and what is the likelyhood of me getting a new frame or will they try and repair it?

My only concern is that its a 2009 trek 1.2 and dont think there will be many of these frames knocking around, would i get an upgrade?

Im not having much luck with this bike, get new wheels which need to be sent back due to spokes snapping and they sorted but now have a brand new 105 groupset and wheels but a broke frame :(

He broke it , he replaces it or repairs it to your satisfaction

If Trek charge him thats his problem, though I imagine his success in getting a replacement frame will depend on how much business he gives Trek
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andy83
    Yea he has no problem with sorting it out as its been done by him at the shop. The shop is a main trek dealer (actually biggest one around) so they give them quite a bit of business

hopefully ill know more tomo just wondered if anyone had any experience on time etc

if i dont have anything sorted in next few weeks i may ask to borrow a bike for a bit
  • If it's a steel frame, reattaching/replacing it would be easy. If it's one of those hoodoo aluminium things it's a different matter.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Trek are brilliant with warrenty.

Some shops (depending on your level of custom) will charge you to strip the bike right down, to the frame. In my experience, Trek actaully only want the frame.

However, if you, like I did, spend an eveing with a pizza and some beers in the garage stripping her right down, they should not charge you.
  • Levi_501 wrote:
    Trek are brilliant with warrenty.

Some shops (depending on your level of custom) will charge you to strip the bike right down, to the frame. In my experience, Trek actaully only want the frame.
    Have to agree Trek are good with warranty. I've had 2 complete frame replacements on mine and my LBS have never charged me a penny for the strip down/rebuild work. On the second replacement they also managed to get me an upgrade. :)

If the breakage is the shop's fault they should pay for all the rebuild costs no matter what.

Mike
  • andy83
    cheers for replies, pleased to hear they are good

the bike is actually stripped down already as it happened when a new groupset was being put on the bike

to be honest i wouldnt be overly happy if the repaired it, I want a new frame lol

maybe ill get the rebuild costs free of charge as a good will gesture. If i get a new frame ill then have a brand new 105 groupset, brand new easton ea50 wheels (another warrenty replacement due to spokes keep snapping and only 2000 miles old) and new frame will mean a lovely brand new bike and a quite significant upgrade on my original 1.2 :)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    andy83 wrote:
    cheers for replies, pleased to hear they are good

the bike is actually stripped down already as it happened when a new groupset was being put on the bike

to be honest i wouldnt be overly happy if the repaired it, I want a new frame lol

maybe ill get the rebuild costs free of charge as a good will gesture. If i get a new frame ill then have a brand new 105 groupset, brand new easton ea50 wheels (another warrenty replacement due to spokes keep snapping and only 2000 miles old) and new frame will mean a lovely brand new bike and a quite significant upgrade on my original 1.2 :)

Worst case - they should be insured against this kinda screw up. So, if they cannot replace like for like, they should give you money!
  • andy83
    Well im VERY happy

popped into lbs today to see if they had heard anything from trek, and there is a brand new 2011 frame to replace my chipped and cable rubbed 2009 frame

Just checked and the 1.2 is now £700 for 2011 model, the fact im having a 105 groupset put on it and wheels im getting a much better bike than went into the shop :)
  • andy83
    was talking to a friend today saying i cant go for a ride on road bike on sunday cos im awaiting my wheels to come back from Easton (2 months ive been without them, only rode them for 5 weeks) and he said

"when trek sent a replacement frame they sent you a whole bike, so that is now YOUR bike"

The bike was in the shop as it was having a new 105 groupset put on. I went in today and asked about the wheels and he said yea they're yours and theyre actually building up the bike with my new bits and the wheels

so my question is, although I have a brand new groupset going onto the bike is the original sora groupset mine?

afterall if i wasnt having a new groupset put on the bike surely they would have just give me the whole bike as a replacement ??
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Really need to know what the deal is - if the frame only is being replaced, they'd surely need all the other kit as well from your old bike. Maybe the shop are stripping a complete bike to source your frame?

If they have just given you a whole bike then clearly you ought to be getting discounted the difference in price between your upgrades and the standard components.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Have you returned the old groupset?

Because you've currently got one Sora groupset that came with the original bike. Plus the new 105 set.

So if they replace the whole bike, you'll get a bike with new Sora which is being replaced with 105 that you've also bought.

If Trek just replace the frame, then you've got the old Sora, plus the 105 you've bought.

So you should have. Regardless of whether trek replace the frame or the bike, if you gave a bike with fitted sora, and a boxed 105 groupset (or the money for it) to the shop, then you'd expect to get a fitted 105 set and a boxed (old or new) Sora groupset back.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • andy83
    I stripped the old groupset off myself before giving it to the shop, but the fact im having the wheels has made me wonder. I also noticed my old knackered seat and post has been replaced with a brand new one. im hopeing i get my bike back with new wheels a new 105 groupset (which it definitely is coming back with) and then a new sora groupset :)

When i asked if a frame had been sent they siad they had sent out a whole new bike for me and trek often do this for replacement frames on the low end models ie 1.2 like mine is

oh and another positive is that the easton wheels that snapped 3 spokes in first 800 miles and i sent back that still havent been returned, im getting a credit note for the shop :)
  • andy83
    Rang shop today and the confirmed the sora groupset is mine :)

going to list in the classifieds to hopefully fund some other bike related stuff needed

Or if anyone is after a new groupset then send me a pm
  • Mouke
    Mouke Posts: 5
    I have a 7.5fx that has had the same problem, the bit that holds the brake cable in place has cracked & half has broken away.

Took it back to lbs they send no problem we will send it off to trek...2 weeks later I get a call to say its not covered due to misuse of using it too much in the rain! so its rusted, I didnt think aluminium rusted & i didn't realise you were only supposed to use the bike on nice sunny days only! Not

All they would offer was a new 7.1...that wont last long my 7.5fx is 16 months old and I have replaced the wheels due to the rims splitting and most of the other parts, the frame handle bars & seat post are the only original parts left. My other option was 20% off a new 7.5fx, which would still work out more expensive than when I bought the bike last year...it shows how much their prices have gone up.

I told the lbs to get the bike back as it can probably be fixed another way, when I have it back then im going to start on Trek customer service.
  • andy83
    Mouke wrote:
    I have a 7.5fx that has had the same problem, the bit that holds the brake cable in place has cracked & half has broken away.

Took it back to lbs they send no problem we will send it off to trek...2 weeks later I get a call to say its not covered due to misuse of using it too much in the rain! so its rusted, I didnt think aluminium rusted & i didn't realise you were only supposed to use the bike on nice sunny days only! Not

All they would offer was a new 7.1...that wont last long my 7.5fx is 16 months old and I have replaced the wheels due to the rims splitting and most of the other parts, the frame handle bars & seat post are the only original parts left. My other option was 20% off a new 7.5fx, which would still work out more expensive than when I bought the bike last year...it shows how much their prices have gone up.

I told the lbs to get the bike back as it can probably be fixed another way, when I have it back then im going to start on Trek customer service.

Was the call from Trek or your lbs

I got my replacement within two days. Mine was in the shop to have a new groupset added but mine came clean off. To be honest maybe it could be your lbs. Did you buy the bike from there or elsewhere
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    What shop was this andy?

I like the look of some Treks but I'd heard bad things about the warranty, if it isn't too far away I might add trek back on to the list.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Mouke wrote:

This is the sort of thing I've heard before...
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • andy83
    prawny wrote:
    What shop was this andy?

I like the look of some Treks but I'd heard bad things about the warranty, if it isn't too far away I might add trek back on to the list.

Red Kite cycles in Shirley

They have been fantastic with me, cant fault service and mechanics are top notch.

I also had a pair of bontrager shoes where one of the straps came off, admittedly they were a little too big and I prob was overtightening them but they gave me a brand new pair.

Im going to be biased cos I love treks but if this isnt too far for you definitely put it back on the list. I think it always helps who actually speaks to Trek and I presume the mechanics have a good relationship with them at red kite. well to get a replacement bike in two days is good, they even rang up trek to say they had sent a whole bike and I wanted only a frame. They said well either keep the bits yourself or give them to the customer, which i duly got all the parts :)
  • Mouke
    Mouke Posts: 5
    The call came from my lbs with the offers from Trek, im going to pick my bike up tomorrow as the lbs have done some sort of fix and will quiz them about it.

What I don't get, the lug that holds the brake cable is the one just below the saddle which is probably the driest place on the bike, there are two on the underside that the front & rear derailleur cables run through & they must get hit with all the water coming off the wheel yet they are fine!

Well I will see what the shop says tomorrow & decide on how to tackle trek
  • andy83
    To be honest id see my post above regarding who actually speaks to trek.

The one that broke on mine was on the underside on the downtube. Mine snapped off when trying to get the barrel adjuster bit out