First Ride Out - Merlin Malt 1

endrick
endrick Posts: 30
edited May 2011 in MTB beginners
OK so I had my first proper ride out today on my new Merlin Malt 1 and thought I'd give it a quick review. I am a beginner and have only had one bike to compare it against so is probably not worth much.

About me. I am a big lad (20st +) and was looking for a bike to help me exercise and shift a few pounds. I have a Giant XTC but it is getting on a bit so I decided to buy new instead of spend money upgraded.

I had a budget of £500 - £750. I choose the Malt 1 based on its reviews and the fact I could upgrade components without having to pay for the ones that came as standard. I was able to speak to Merlin cycles and get advice on the components esp re my size.

I went for the Malt 1 and upgraded the Groupset to the SLX and the forks to Recon Gold. I then added the race face upgrade to make it a round £800 plus postage.

My first impression of the bike was how sexy it is, not the best way to judge a bike but the Silver and blue are awesome (especially with some matching superstar flats).

My first few rides where mainly on the roads nipping to and from work to ride it while i could. My first thought was that the bike felt small for me (I am 6'1 and as already mentioned carrying a little extra), I got the 19". My giant was 20/21 I think.

After a couple of short trips I got used to the riding position and did not notice it.

Today I took it for its first off road trip, nothing serious as I am not ready, or in shape, to start fling myself around. Well the bike was a dream it felt a lot lighter than my giant and handled everything well. I really felt the benefit of the upgrade in gears, I have not yet messed with the forks yet as I need to do a bit of research as how to set them up for me.

I think the smaller frame made for a better ride and i think the best thing I can say is that it was fun to ride, I was really buzzing when I finished - not that a fat 36yo has much else to get excited about.

Any way can't wait to get out there again so I guess I can't ask for more.

Comments

• Danny-T
    Danny-T Posts: 129
    Nice review bud, got any pics of the new toy?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Definitely post some pics... I saw a Malt 1 out on the trails recently, and they do look lovely.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    Pics don't do the Merlin bikes justice do they? In real life they look so much better. I didn't hesitate to order mine after seeing them in the Merlin shop.

Good choice on the spec, very good. Do your forks go up past 100mm and have they revised the geometry to take it?

You will fine Merlin frames are about the equivalent of a lot of other makes one inch larger due to the high BB making the measurement size smaller - the ground clearance is much better for it though. Just have to run your saddle a bit higher.
  • Thanks for the comments guys I will get some Pics done but I am currentley without camera and didn't want to use my phone and not do it justice.

I hope the review helps someone make a decision. I am sure no one will be dissapointed with the bike or the service from Merlin.

[quote="Andy!"
    Good choice on the spec, very good. Do your forks go up past 100mm and have they revised the geometry to take it?
    [/quote]

You've lost me with the last comment Andy sorry. Point me in the right direction and I will attempt to investigate.
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    I was wondering if the Recon forks go over 100mm travel? The Malt geometry back in 2008 was for 100mm forks.

edit: just looked and no they are 100mm so geometry is the same - good as it is a nice handling bike as it is. Nice looking forks, are you running the normal spring?
  • I went with the upgrade so I could swap to a stronger spring (because of my weight). But as I mentioned i haven't dome anything at all with the forks yet.

Will probably see how things go and then look at fine tuning things as I go along. Didn't really want to mess around with everything at once and not have a decent start point.

I'm sure the urge to fiddle will not be far away though :)
  • Will definately add the Malt 1 to my list of considerations when I come to upgrade in the new year. I've always liked them, used to visit the old shop in Ormskirk when I was a teenager.

Enjoy your bike.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Great review. I got one of these bikes at the beginning of the year. Can fault these bikes, handles great, looks great, value for money with the ability to choose your own spec. Would recommend these bikes to anyone looking for a new bike.PICT2135.jpg
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    they are a nice bike sorry i sold mine :oops: but needed cash for my merida misson
    :lol:
    but i did like the ride very chuck-able on the single track.

enjoy it :wink: [/img]
  • Lovely bike. I live near standish in Wigan. I m off to the shop for one of these. I am now 21 ston :shock:
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    how the hell do you lads keep your rear cassettes so clean
  • sh4z77
    sh4z77 Posts: 15
    i keep mine clean by not riding my bike! lol
  • endrick
    endrick Posts: 30
    Lovely bike. I live near standish in Wigan. I m off to the shop for one of these. I am now 21 ston :shock:

Have you got yours yet?
  • endrick wrote:
    Lovely bike. I live near standish in Wigan. I m off to the shop for one of these. I am now 21 ston :shock:

Have you got yours yet?

Sad to say no..... started reading my old posts and have actually been to the new shop "twice!" when they have been closed!!!! but it will be done buy mid may..... on the plus side...
    I read a post I made saying that I was 21 stone! Well..... I started a weight loss drive 3weeks ago comprising lots of fell walking; eating better and today I will be going to the Gym for the first time in 11 years. I will be doing some strength training. Something called cross-fit 3d; they say, it kills, but it gets results.

I am really EXCITED Right now. I am just under 20stone lost a stone in 3weeks. I need to lose another 6 to be ideal.....

Biking will sure help that... I have also discovered I am a danger freak too so as soon as I am fit enough I will start to rip it up on the merlin..... the shop has such weird opening times and my Satnav kept taking me to some other place. Buckshaw village where they are is practically a new town..... everything is new.... literally
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    Andy! wrote:
    Pics don't do the Merlin bikes justice do they? In real life they look so much better. I didn't hesitate to order mine after seeing them in the Merlin shop.

Been looking at some on a google image search, I think this pic makes it look superb, want one now. :twisted:

Dans_Merlin_Dual.jpg
  • cumblechook
    cumblechook Posts: 18
    Beauty!!!

Is that a Merlin 4?

or a 3?

I want one!
  • Mental Mickey
    Mental Mickey Posts: 406
    Beauty!!!

Is that a Merlin 4?

or a 3?

I want one!

I'm not sure, it just came up in the search as Merlin Malt without a number attached, but it;s so shiny I want it. :D
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    that bike seems very very low for a MTB bike you sure it isnt their jump bike?

ie not made by merlin as they also import frames from USA
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    That bike looks like an old (5 yrs +) malt 1.

The newer bikes are much better looking :-)