Concept2 Challenge Series ..... Anyone signing up?

Comments

• I've looked at the Concept2 website and there is a section there on 'weight corrected' times and distances (as used to match crews in boats apparently).

I've written a spreadsheet to calculate these..(who said geek?)

It'll come as no surprise to hear that springtide9 is currently top for each round so far, but not always by much :wink:

Keep up the good work everyone - it's only the free t-shirt that keeps me going. Looks like we're in trouble when poppit joins in!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    @poppit : Those times are stupidly quick! :)

@wastrel : That's interesting.... just started looking at that and noticed that they have a VO2 Max calculator based on your 2k time and weight....

http://www.concept2.com.au/training/cal ... o2max.aspx

Looks like I'm behind a number of you guys in terms of my VO2.. must try harder or loose some weight!

(fancy knocking up another spreadsheet and posting the results?)
    Simon
  • I'll do that and put up a top 3?* for 'adjusted' times and VO2 max when all the 2k times are in on Dec 1st.

*If anyone wants their numbers put up anyway, perhaps let me know by PM.

If anyone does not want to be included they could just remove their weight from the profile bit.
  • Well done all - hope the snow didn't stop anyone making the deadline!

If any late ones make it into the top 3 I'll edit this.

Scores on the doors for Simon....

Real 2k times
    Simon 6:51.3
    Martin 6:56.4
    Jamie 6:58.4

weight corrected times for boat speed (neutral weight is 77.27kg)
    Simon 6:57.9
    me 7:03.1
    Martin 7:09.7

estimated rowing VO2 max (taken from the 'trained' category)...as in 'fit' people. This is only 'valid' as a rowing estimate. It's ml/kg/min so I think if you multiply by weight you get oxygen consumption per min in litres (in brackets).

Simon 65.27 (5.39 litres)
    me 62.80 (4.14 litres)
    Martin 59.44 (5.29 litres)
    I seem to remember reading a proper good rower is about 6 litres plus.

power/weight ratio (w/kg over the 2k)
    me 4.03
    Simon 3.88
    Martin 3.49

Any mistakes or errors are purely my fault :)
    PM me and I'll fix them.
  • springtide9
    Thanks - and it's very interesting seeing the adjustments. We are all so close.

You make a good point about 'This is only 'valid' as a rowing estimate'.

I obviously have no idea of the fitness of other forum members, but I know Martin K pretty well. Martin did a Half Iron Man this year (and planning a Full I.M. next year). I can safely say that I am no where near as fit as he is!
    I don't think Martin spends that much time on the rower due to his other training commitments - hence you make a very valid statement.

Thanks again for working this out :)
    Simon
  • I'm gutted that I didn't get to do a final session to try and get below 8 mins for the 2km. I've had a chest infection for the past couple of weeks so there's been no rowing for me :(

This months 5km should be interesting, I've never managed more than 2km on the rower!
  • Congrats to Jamie for logging a good 5k time and going top of the table!

That was my plan after tomorrow's attempt but you've beaten me to it :wink:

For cycling I think the raw 5k time will probably be a decent indicator for flat time trial type events (where weight is fairly unimportant) and w/kg will be a good guide to climbing / hilly mtb.
  • springtide9
    @WisePranker: Shame about missing out on an updated 2k time. There's a lot of it going around at the moment (seems to have missed me so far, but I shouldn't talk to soon!)

In terms of doing a 5k, just make sure you don't go off to quickly. As a first go, take your 2k split and add around 10-15 secs. If it feels too easy... don't speed up - just keep it going for the full 5k. If you are feeling good at 4k - increase your speed for the last 1000m. Next time around, you can either increase the split slightly over your average split from the previous go, or do 4k at last average pace followed by whatever you can manage for the last 1k. And just keep doing this. It's when you have nothing more to give for the last 1k - you know that you've done your best pace at your current fitness level.

Top time Jamie!

I've noticed as the distances increase, the gap is decreasing. Need to really work hard on this one... :)

Have just been working out the splits vs 5k time to get an idea of what to aim for in conjunction with people of 'similar' age and times on the C2 results page.

Just in case anyone is interested, here you go...

Split 5k Time
    02:20 23:20
    02:15 22:30
    02:10 21:40
    02:05 20:50
    02:04 20:40
    02:03 20:30
    02:02 20:20
    02:01 20:10
    02:00 20:00
    01:59 19:50
    01:58 19:40
    01:57 19:30
    01:56 19:20
    01:55 19:10
    01:54 19:00
    01:53 18:50
    01:52 18:40
    01:51 18:30
    01:50 18:20
    01:49 18:10
    01:48 18:00
    01:47 17:50
    01:46 17:40
    01:45 17:30

I'm sure there are too many entries in this list, but I seem to remember that Martin K used to easily be able to row a sub 18min 5k.
    Simon
  • Those splits should come in handy to give me some idea of what to aim for next time I'm on the rower.

Out of interest, what's the best breathing technique when rowing?
    I try to inhale on the pull and exhale on the way back but when I stop concentrating on the breathing I find myself doing the opposite!
    I've tried looking about on the Concept website but with no luck so I thought I'd ask here!
  • springtide9
    Those splits should come in handy to give me some idea of what to aim for next time I'm on the rower.

Out of interest, what's the best breathing technique when rowing?
    I try to inhale on the pull and exhale on the way back but when I stop concentrating on the breathing I find myself doing the opposite!
    I've tried looking about on the Concept website but with no luck so I thought I'd ask here!

Hopefully you'll get a proper answer elsewhere...... but .... I

Probably OTT, but it's what I do as I find it easy for a rhythm.....

I use short breaths, and at the end of each forward and back stoke, I exhale and inhale. Probably start the breathing out before I get to the switching direction point, but it kind of feels like very short panting breaths every 1 sec. Just tried it now, but get very light headed LOL.
    So I guess this is two short breaths every full stroke, but this is generally on the faster shorter sessions.

I guess on the longer rows, I inhale/exhale once per full stroke; but will double up on occasion if I'm on a bit of a push etc. Not really sure on the longer rows as I don't concentrate on my breathing as much - probably as it's not as critical.

But I'm pretty crap at timing, so have always stuck to timing the breathing as a factor of the stroke (so that I remember to breath!). e.g. once per stroke, twice etc. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to breath out during a push/lift/whatever other exercise, so maybe on the longer distances it's breath in on the way forward, and out on the way back.

Must do the 5k. I looked at my times and the fastest since Auguest was 19m22s(when I bought a C2 log card) Got a bit lazy this month, but also stupidly did something to my knees a few weeks ago trying to run more than my legs are used too (not that it was that far). Been hurting the last few weeks and not really getting better, so thought a rest was in order. Shame the red wine also appears in my diet very quickly if I know there's no gym training the following day :(

Good news, looks like I might get my road bike next week. Just in time for Xmas :)
    Simon
  • springtide9
    Duplicate post
    Simon
  • springtide9
    Not sure why I managed to quote my own post... deleted now...

Anyway, first 5k run is out of the way... 18m6.2s

I'll have another go in between the 'turkey dinners' :)
    Simon
  • New to the forum but i have signed up for this as well. No great rowing experience other than in the gym. used to just row for 10 minutes to see how far i could get. i haven't done all the previous test but have completed the 2k and 5k events. looking forward to the 10k as that will be a good challenge. aiming to get under 40 minutes for that.
  • Well it's time for the big one this month, the 10k!

I'm not really sure what I'm aiming for at this distance, I'll probably look to get something sub 45 minutes to start with then try and improve from there!
  • springtide9
    @biggles1982: Welcome :)

@WisePranker: Good plan; once you've done the distance a few times you'll be surprised that it's not as tough as it sounds. Padded shorts might be in order mind you!

Too many turkey dinners fr me over Xmas; too many mince pies; too much mulled wine. My first go was my last.
    Did have a second attempt with a slight think head... but had to give up with only 600m to go.

The toll of Xmas is now over ;-) And now have a bit of weight to loose!

Hope everyone had a good Xmas and New Year. 10k - or bugger,,, well at least it's a good distance to burn an extra few calories :)
    Simon

• @WisePranker: Good plan; once you've done the distance a few times you'll be surprised that it's not as tough as it sounds. Padded shorts might be in order mind you!

Well I managed to get a 10k time, 45:11.9, with and average HR of 171bpm.
    I was aiming for sub 45 but I had to stop at about 7k to tighten my toe straps and wipe the sweat off the handle as my hands were slipping a bit :(

I've got to say it wasn't as bad as i was expecting it to be, I just seemed to switch off and zone out for most of the session!
    My time wasn't too bad, I'm aiming to get up to 90% of the leaders times in the league and I'm creeping up there slowly but surely. The challenges certainly seem to be helping me with my fitness and I've noticed that my recovery times are getting shorter and shorter which can only be a good thing. I'll try and get another time in next week when I'm at the gym and will hopefully be able to get it below 45:00 this time.

One thing I found which surprised me was that the seat was reasonably comfortable for the duration of the session but my finger joints were aching afterwards, I may well try some gloves next time to see if it's more comfortable.
  • had my first attempt at the 10,000m to other day and finished in 39m 29s. pretty happy with that although at the end i did think i could have done it a little faster so that's possibly my plan at lunch (alternative is going out for a run). I did find it quite harding going concentration wise and comfort wise. The seat isn't the comfiest. it's ok for about 5000m but after that my bum started to get a bit numb. Didn't think my cycling shorts helped although i don't have them today so i'll find out if they made a difference or not.
  • springtide9
    @biggles1982 : Sub 40min 10k, Well done.

Where's the time gone this month. still haven't done a 10k row this month... think it's going to have to be this coming week (hopefully)

Will check out the standings for the month now. Hope everyone is OK and avoiding the flu that's doing it's rounds.
    Simon
  • I had another go at the 10k last week and got down to 38m 55s, i think i'll leave it at that unless the weather prevents me going out for a run instead.
  • springtide9
    OK, have finally done the 10k. 37m18.7s

Happy with the result and will not be attempting it again until next year! lol
    Each monthly challenge feels like I'm just testing out my max HR :)

On a different note, I have finally joined the roadie crew. Had my first outing on my road bike on Sunday.... and rather enjoyed it. Can't wait to get out again!

Hopefully all this hard work in the gym will be worthwhile if it makes the bike outings much more enjoyable.

Good luck to all.
    Simon
  • wastrel
    wastrel Posts: 55
    Very good time springtide!

I imagine you'll make a pretty good time triallist - I expect to see your name on the road>race forum this year.

It's very similar in terms of dosing out effort over the time - I'd be surprised if you couldn't go well sub 25 mins, even with a standard road bike.

Out of interest, our w/kg are still nearly identical - not like our times!
  • springtide9
    @wastrel: Thanks for the kind words. For me, it's now been a year effort trying to get back into shape, after having children and 'letting myself go'. (as someone at work let me know after a few beers this time last year). Jan 2010 I was 17 stone and wasn't exercising very much at all. So it's good to know that it's paying off.

As for racing... still trying to work that one out. Just started running and have my first Half Marathon in March (Bath). I think that I'd like to give triathlons a go before I get too old... this is work in progress and more likely to be next year after I've worked on my running and swimming.
    Have a short duathlon planned in Feb, which has a 10 mile TT event - so will get a taste of TT hopefully then. I do like the long events and the 100k / 100 mile are of particular interest.

Have lots of plans and ideas... but not enough time (like all of us). If you hear of any interesting events in the South West... (or are doing any events).. maybe we should post here and comment if the rowing challenge has improved yourself from last year.

I know that partly the rowing... (as well as other inputs).. has definitely given more structure to my weekly exercise. And I'm sure like everybody here... they know others are also trying hard and are working on keeping their % differences either the same or improving on them. We are all different weights, heights and builds.. so the overall position or ranking IMO makes no odds. It's a team effort where we all have the same or similar end goals :)

Good luck to the people who haven't put a time in yet. There is still a week to go.
    Simon
  • springtide9
    Roll-up, row-up... it's the much more manageable 2500m row :)
    Simon
  • The 2500m is certainly shorter but I don't know about being easier!

I think I felt worse after the 2500m than I did after the 10000m :shock:
  • springtide9
    The 2500m is certainly shorter but I don't know about being easier!
    I think I felt worse after the 2500m than I did after the 10000m :shock:

LOL... but the pain is only for 10mins rather than 40! 8)
    Simon
  • springtide9
    Finally did the 2500m.

Is it me, or is it really hard to keep motivated with this month on month? (as we are now on thr 6th month!).

I'm sure it's doing me good... but my enthusiasm is somewhat lacking - and almost as if the rowing is getting is now getting in the way as we come out of the winter months.....

Maybe it's me and have had a bad month and I have post Xmas blues! Also started my 'running career' at Xmas (well, attempting to run a Half M), which has been going badly as I seemed to have had injured knees since starting - think 'running' will get knocked on the head once the Half is done next week. The only good thing that running has done, is it has made me realise how much I enjoy cycling (road or MTB)

Well, that's enough of my moaning - anyone else want to expel any frustration?
    Simon
  • i've only been on this for 4 months now but i have completed all the events. Find it quite good for a lunch time gym session (there's a gym in the office which is handy). Starting to find it diffucult to fit in the events with other commitmnets, work, rugby, cycling and running.

I'm running a half marathon in edinburgh this weekend and 2 others in april and may.

looking for an event to do in june before i take part in the corrieyairack cahllenge in july.

Think this year will also see my first attempt at a triathlon.

Might try and get an early start on the boat race record this week.
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    My problem seems to be that I'm not going to the gym so much anymore as the weather's improving so I'm out on the bike more.

I quite enjoy the rowing and I'm finding that my fitness is definitely improving slowly but surely.

I've actually been seriously considering cancelling my gym membership and putting the monthly gym fee towards buying my own Concept 2 rower :shock:

I'm actually gutted that I joined the challenge in time to do all the monthly challenges but I was sick when I signed up so couldn't do the first month therefore I won't get my free t-shirt for completing it :(
  • springtide9
    @biggles1982 : Good luck with the Half this weekend... I will be thinking of you at the start line... we will have to compare times after the weekend as the Bath H is this Sunday. I'm just hoping that my knees hold up for the distance.
    Also hoping to do the Bristol Tri this year.. July... but have a long way to go with the swimming... but hopefully with time I'll improve (and be able to breath and swim - rather than one or the other!)

@WisePranker: Had a C2 at home for a while (when I had my first child)... and used it lots for a while. Biggest problem that I found with it was that it takes up a lot of space... and it's far from ideal rowing in a 'broom cupboard' (in terms for being motivated to use it! Think if you have a room with some form of entertainment - like a large TV that would help. I guess it's similar owning a turbo.

If you do get one... try and get one s'hand rather than new or rent. If you do decide to sell it later... you'll get back what you paid pretty much (and I found it very easy to sell).

Onto the next round. It's going to be a tough one I think trying to work a starting pace to aim for (not a distance most of us would do).

16 mins 19 secs ... I guess we aim for a split between the 2500m and 5000m distances, but more biases to the 5k

Good luck everybody...
    Simon
    Simon
  • springtide9
    Did my first Half Marathon (and running event) this weekend @ Bath.

It was hard... very hard.... knees are completely stuffed that I need a chair lift for the stairs.
    I'm amazed at anyone who puts themselves through the torture of a full marathon.

Please with my time, 1:39:25 from my Garmin:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/71648459

But event time were 1:44 (Official) / 1:42 (NET). I assume the NET is what is calculate from when you actually cross the start line, but this obviously gets triggered when you get close.

Very slow starting and I was amazed at the quantity of people at the event (11,000 runners) - so never really thinned out

Still undecided if I would call it enjoyable - will have to see how the knees recover before I make that decision.
    Simon