Honest Local Bike Shop

mastermosher
mastermosher Posts: 233
edited September 2010 in MTB general
hi all. This is to say thank you to Eric Richardson of Richardson's Cycles in Leigh on Sea in Essex. Iwas stuck between the 2011 Trek 6500 and Trek 6700 at £1150 and £1350 respectively. When i went in there he sized me up frame wise, and then talked to me about what sort of riding I would be doing. After a 10 min discussion I opted for the Trek 6500 on his advice. What I found reassurring was the service that he had given me in that he was never ever trying to sell me the most expensive bike, but the one that suited me.I Have dealt with him before and was given the same service.
Just goes to show that there are some good and honest bike shops owners n the still. Many thanks.
I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous

Comments

• Good to hear!! It must be tough for some LBS at times but the fittest always survive.
  • Good to hear - if only more shops realised that this sort of service earns them loyal customers!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Should be noted that they're not always trying to sell you the most expensive bike, but are trying to sell you the one they get the most profit or commission on, which isn't always the same thing.
  • :oops: Re. "high helmets" , obviously I wash the slightly padded detachable inserts but has anybody a surefire cleansing trick for the rest of the inside of the lid . I've thought the damp cloth - scented baby wipes route but just wondered if there may be something way better. NB.all answers have to be repeatable in mixed company & in front of the children . Many thanks.
  • the previous was meant to be posted elsewhere . apologies.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Should be noted that they're not always trying to sell you the most expensive bike, but are trying to sell you the one they get the most profit or commission on, which isn't always the same thing.

Agreed...while good customer service was received the chances are he'd make the same profit no matter which bike he sold.

Still, good to see LBS's getting praise on the boards as opposed to being slagged off.
  • it's actually really hard to find a good honest bike shop these days, not one in cardiff i would use. I head up to one near cwm now. They seem ok and the few things i've needed they have been good.
  • Didn't realise Richardsons stocked any proper brands, have never really paid the place much attention but i will now.

An other good one local to you is Grips in Rayleigh. They also do a couple of night rides on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Tuesday is Hockley and Daws Heath, Hadleigh on a Thursday. Let me know if you want any details, tuesday is a great ride with a great bunch of guys. I'm sure Thursday is just as good but i haven't done that one yet.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • I have a Spesh' Rockhopper from 2004 that i bought from grips. Nice blokes as well.
    I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous