Racing Geometry - Does it make a difference to everyday use?

wombar
wombar Posts: 119
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Hi All,

I'm looking around for a new hard tail at the moment and I'm kinda stuck. One of the bikes I'm looking at (a Scott Scale 30) is supposed to have a race geometry frame, whilst the other one (a Boardman HT Pro) is supposed to be more of a generic bike frame.

So, how much real world difference does racing geometry make? What's the difference to say my Hard Rock Sport? I've seen a few posts saying that race geometry frames aren't as comfortable for longer rides. Any truth to that?

I tend to do longer XC and road rides than downhill. I've sat on the Scale, though that doesn't really tell me much, as I guess it would take an hour or two to feel the difference.

I must admit the Scale is probably overkill for what I'd use it for, but it's one of the bikes that really made a first impression on me.

Anyway, any advice would be great.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Traditionally XC race frames were much longer with a shoter head tube, that's less extreme these days, and most bikes come with plenty of spacers and a riser bar, so although you can still get a very low front end you don't have to ride it like that.

Scale's a great bike, go for it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also angles - many bikes nowdays have more relaxed head angles, while xc race frames tend to be steeper for faster steering.
  • lso this can make the biek twitchier on the downs.

I have just done everything i can to get away from a more race orientated Geometry for a slacker fun bike.

Goes back to test your bike before you buy ! :p
  • wombar
    Thanks for the replies everyone. So race geometry is less upright than "normal geometry"? I.e. you lean forward more?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Generally yes, though does vary model to model.
  • wombar wrote:
    One of the bikes I'm looking at (a Scott Scale 30) is supposed to have a race geometry frame, whilst the other one (a Boardman HT Pro) is supposed to be more of a generic bike frame.

I also want to buy this bike and I can´t decide which frame size. I´m 179cm tall and Scott offers two frame sizes (M and L) for this kind of rider.
    Compared to Trek race geometry, Scale frames are a bit shorter.
    Trek:
    seat tube: 470mm
    Ef. top tube 610mm
    Scale:
    seat tube: 480mm
    Ef. top tube: 590mm
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"
  • wombar
    I'm about 6ft (~182cm) and I've been advised an L size would be best for me. You're about my height, but you're probably better off getting a sit on one if possible. It's a beautiful bike in the flesh.

However, I think I'm probably going to give the Scale a miss as I need to put a pannier rack on my new bike and I won't feel comfortable loading up my panniers with a carbon frame (15-20Kg can't be a good thing on CF). The boardman also has some better components on it, and realistically I don't need a CF frame. It was more that I loved the look of the bike, but for my purposes it's just the wrong bike.

Plus I've had a real bad run of luck with my bike recently (falling off it, it falling over etc) and I don't think I could bare to see a CF frame hit the deck because I've been careless.
  • I'm 6'2" and i ride a medium tst because it's not all about height but reach!
  • rainerhq wrote:
    I also want to buy this bike and I can´t decide which frame size. I´m 179cm tall and Scott offers two frame sizes (M and L) for this kind of rider.
    Compared to Trek race geometry, Scale frames are a bit shorter.
    Trek:
    seat tube: 470mm
    Ef. top tube 610mm
    Scale:
    seat tube: 480mm
    Ef. top tube: 590mm

I wasn´t correct at my previous post. Scott´s ef. top tube is also 610mm
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"
  • wombar
    As Thewaylander has indicated, choosing frame size is very much down to personal preference. M or L would suit your height I imagine, it just depends on how you ride.

I prefer a slightly larger frame as I do more XC stuff that isn't too hairy, so I'd go for L. If I was doing a lot of very technical riding, I might choose the M as it would probably be more maneuverable.

Comparing measurements online really isn't the ideal way to choose a frame size. Seriously, find yourself a Scott dealer and go sit on a Scale L and M.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    at 6ft your right in th emiddle of sizes. Scots tend to have much longer toptubes than most othe rbikes so realy check it out in a shop. Hieght can be adjusted with the seat post , reach adjustments with stem length ect can realy mess up how a bike feels . Sit on a few and compaire . Bigger is not always better . I 'm 6 ft and ride a race XC merida frame thats a 18" frame for the reach , any longer and i'd have serious back pain . I just have a super long seat post . ( i'm built like a woman , long legs 34 inch but short torso.)