It's been done to death I know !!

pumpers
pumpers Posts: 26
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi, 1st post so hello to all and if I get any replies then thanks !!

Just getting into mountain biking and am really enjoying it, I've got the bug !!!

Been hanging around here for a couple of weeks, doing some research and generally getting the lowdown on the basics.

I've currently got a crappy fs bike that has more bounce than a castle and have decided to take the plunge and get a decent bike.

Going to do the cycle to work scheme and not bothered about the price up to £1000. Far more interested in getting a godd bike/spec that will last me for a good few years. As result I'd pretty much decided on the boardman ht pro until I found out Halfords ain't in my employers cycle scheme!! BUGGER!!

So lots more research and I'm now thinking of the Orange P7 S from North West Mountain Bike centre at £878. ( www.nwmtb.com/productdetails.asp?productid=11801)

I'm 5'11, 15 stone and early 40's. Have not done much fitness for a few years due to a hip problem which is now sorted. I definitely want a HT and this looks like a rock solid bike which i can upgrade should I ever get good enough to need to. I live 30 mins from Ladybower and the peak district is literally on my doorstep so I'll be doing plenty of off road stuff.

What you guys/girls think to my choice?

tx

pumpers

Comments

• Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    do it.

nice bike and if it feels right (make sure you test ride it) then get it. Lovely frame and decent spec. Only thing I would personally change is a lighter fork but the Tora is a great fork so save the cash for upgrades when things wear out and enjoy.

Nice bit of discount too. :)

Ps see if you can get some free servicing thrown in. Always the nice thing about buying locally.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It does have a very heavy frame though - 6lbs of steel. If weight is of importance I'd be looking at a svelter aluminium bike, or lighter steel like the OnOne inbred.
  • Andy!
    crikey it is as well. 2.7kg. I guess it is a long travel steel HT but that makes a steel 456 look light. Shame.

I retract the "do it" in that case.
  • Eh for beginners I don't think weight is too important. I'd be more worried about how it rode, and giving me a good platform to start boosting my skills on, which the boardman does well.
  • I am more interested in how it rides than weight unless it has a serious obesity problem. Looking at the spec however, although the frame is heavy the bike in total weighs 12.7kg which I don't think is too bad.

The bike has some excellent reviews in terms of handling characteriscs and due to the long reach should inspire me with confidence !!!!!!!!!!

Tx for the tip on servicing, I always like to drive a hard bargain so I'll go for a five year package and settle at 3 yrs free !!

I'm going trying it out on Friday.

tx for the replies.

pumpers
  • pumpers wrote:
    I am more interested in how it rides than weight unless it has a serious obesity problem. Looking at the spec however, although the frame is heavy the bike in total weighs 12.7kg which I don't think is too bad.

The bike has some excellent reviews in terms of handling characteriscs and due to the long reach should inspire me with confidence !!!!!!!!!!

Tx for the tip on servicing, I always like to drive a hard bargain so I'll go for a five year package and settle at 3 yrs free !!

I'm going trying it out on Friday.

tx for the replies.

pumpers

12.7kg is the same weight as my father in laws Merida all mountain bike, full suspension, but it's not too rediculous for a hardtail. Definitely on the heavy side for a HT but nothing to worry about.
  • supersonic
    You need to test then if you want to summise the ride qualities. The OnOnes are very similar, but you'll get better parts, and a lighter frame.
  • Andy!
    do you have a restricted list of retailers though?

That shop looks like they do some good frames on custom builds - A cotic will be a bit out of your budget but they may be able to get On-One or Sanderson frames for you (to name a couple of examples).
  • Yep, got a restricted list but it does have a lot of shops on it. Unfortunatley not halfords or I'd already have ordered a boardman pro. North west mountain bike centre is probably where I'll go though as its round the corner from work, has a good selection and also a good reputation. Alot of my friends have been there and recommend it with some excellent after market customer service.

Looking at the list I also like the look of the scott aspect 20 disc. I'll haev a go o that as well to compare.

I'm a little reluctant to go custom build as at some point I will have to decide and commit to something which I probably wont be able to try before I buy. I don't even know if I can get a custom build through the cycle scheme !

Just for peoples info, through the cycle scheme I end up paying net £43 a month, total payment of £515 plus an undecided final payment ( currently one further monthly payment) . For that I get a bike rrp at over a grand ! You can see why I'm going through the scheme to buy !!
  • just been looking at the on-one website ( I'm on nights and bored at work!! )

seen this
    www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOWHIP/on-one-cabon-whippet-slx

looks fantastic, really understated.

On One ( the names appeals too !!) is in the cycle scheme so gonna speak to admin at work tomorrow to see if I can use them.

as per initial post, would this bike be suitable? I know NOTHING about carbon frames and can't find any reviews other than generalised comments saying its brillliant.

The spec seems good to. As its a custom build anythng I should look at upgrading ?

I don't mind putting a couple of quid to it as the cyclescheme limit is £1000.

Don't live too far away so may take a trip up to have a look at one in the flesh.

What you all think?? Choices choices !! starting to do my head in but ON-ONE do appeal for some strange reason !!! :shock:
  • Try one. Try something else. Then try the first one again. Then ask the shop for something similar and try that.... Basically, get some tests and/or demos, the only way you'll know for sure, plus its cool trying out different bikes. When a bike 'fits' you'll know, and then wild horses wont stop you working out how your gonna pay for it....

The old dog - http://flic.kr/p/8xA5hk
    The puppy - http://flic.kr/p/8BKvoR
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    The On-One is a very different frame to the P7.

The On-One is a lightweight frame designed for cross-country (xc) riding & a short-travel (100mm fork).

The P7 is burlier and will handle being ridden harder and will accommodate a 130mm travel fork & fatter tyres.

As you're a heavier rider (no offence intended, I'm 13.5+ stone myself :) ), the P7 may also be better suited to you.

Probably worth thinking about the type of riding you see yourself doing. I would suggest you'd find the P7 more suitable (and more fun/capable) if you're going to ride harder, and it'll handle gnarlier stuff better. On the other hand, if you're more of a pootler or a smoother rider or generally ride smoother trails the On-One may be ok.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    shm_uk wrote:
    The On-One is a very different frame to the P7.

The On-One is a lightweight frame designed for cross-country (xc) riding & a short-travel (100mm fork).

The P7 is burlier and will handle being ridden harder and will accommodate a 130mm travel fork & fatter tyres.

As you're a heavier rider (no offence intended, I'm 13.5+ stone myself :) ), the P7 may also be better suited to you.

Probably worth thinking about the type of riding you see yourself doing. I would suggest you'd find the P7 more suitable (and more fun/capable) if you're going to ride harder, and it'll handle gnarlier stuff better. On the other hand, if you're more of a pootler or a smoother rider or generally ride smoother trails the On-One may be ok.

The On One is described as "XC and UK Trail", to give it fair credit. It's not a 'big hitter' like the 456 but I wouldn't have thought it would be particularly fragile.

EDIT: But then they also say "out and out cross country racing" is waht it's designed for.
    How about a steel 456 instead?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Or something from Merlin?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Andy!
    ^^^ aye

456 trail: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456TR/on-one-456-trail

revelation fork so you can tune it to your weight with just a pump. Long travel steel.

OR

Rock Lobster in steel: http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... 3-BIKE.htm

100mm travel but very nice. Shorter top tube than the 456.

Both should not be too far away from you so I would spend a couple of hours going to see them in the flesh.
  • Tx for all the replies guys/gals,

Might of got a bit carried away with the carbon whippet but I LOVE the look of it.

As for what i'll be using it for, virtually all off road, initially smooth trails with the odd rocky bit. However, really got the bug and I can be a bit obsessive so I'm already thinking of a trip to Ladybower to try out some slightly harder stuff. Just need to improve my fitness as I've not done any training for more than 2 years. My hip is now sorted however so im raring to go. I've got up off nights and been out 2 out of 3 nights already. Only didnt do 3 out of 3 cos the dog was ill and I had to take it to vets.

Anyway, back to business, I looked at the 456 trail, very nice and I like the ON-ONE philosophy. Then I saw the Whippet and just LOVED the clean lines. I will be doing cross country stuff ( not racing though, far too old for that!!) and it looks like it could handle anything I could ever throw at it. Downside is is may not be that forgiving for an inexperienced rider like me. However I LOVE it's look ( have I already said that!!!! :lol:

ON-ONE have really good reviews so i'm off there Saturday to check out the whippet and I'll try a 456 whilst I'm there. The Lobster doesn't do it for me, don't know why but I jsut don't like the look.

So will the 456 be more forgiving than the whippet? How much more so ? will I ever notice the difference apart from the weight issues? As I'm just starting will my style adapt to either bike or will I just find the whippet too hard and then lose confidence as a result?

So, I'm trying the P7, whippet and 456 and possibly the Scott aspect 20 disc. I'll let you know which one I plump for.

Tx again for the replies, its much appreciated and I'll see you out there on my new bike!!

pumpers :)
    :):):)
  • supersonic
    The 456 is a steel hardtail frame weight 5.4lbs, designed for upto a 160mm fork.

The Carbon WHippet is a 3.5lbs carbon frame, designed for a 100mm fork with racier geometry.

Big difference! Though you can run the 456 at 100mm, many find it works best at about 130mm. For harder riding and a longer fork, the 456 would suit better.

The RL 853 is a lightweight steel xc frame, at 4.3lbs.