RLJ patrol in The City this morning

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Spotted a police RLJ patrol on the Fleet Street/New Bridge Street/Ludgate Hill/Farringdon Street Junction this morning. There was sbout half a dozen of them in hi-viz vests on all 4 corners of the junction, visible from a long way off. Despite this I still saw two numpties sail though on a clear red and get pulled over :roll:
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's like people who think they can drive safely above the speed limit, but fail to spot several camera signs and the flourescent yellow camera itself at the side of the road! :lol:

Maybe it's the police's way of making sure that only the RLJers who pay attention keep doing it :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Those who RLJ'd despite the police presence....I'd let them go and take their chances, Darwinism and all that..... :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    Yep, to some extent RLJ'ers are a self correcting problem...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • out of interest, has anyone said hi to a attractive female police officer, on bike or otherwise? what happened after?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Such is the ignorance of the law in this country (see the advanced stop line/cycle box thread on the front page of this forum) that it wouldn't surprise me if some cyclists genuinly believed that red lights didn't apply to them.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • All very well to say that Darwinism will sort them out, but what if it's another cyclist they plough into? It seems to me there is a big difference between turning left on a red light when yuo've looked both ways, and sailing through a whole junction.
  • The Rookie
    In terms of Darwin being happy at the result, maybe, otherwise, no, we cannot complain at motorists ignoring the law when it's inconveniant if we as a group do the same, if you don't like the law, change it!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    To all the fools out there who continue to RLJ:

If you want cyclists to continue being persecuted and hated as road users, carry on with your dangerous and self-righteous behaviour

If, like most of us, you want to be treated with respect and equality on the road, please behave responsibly and stop making up your own set of rules, or picking and choosing which bits of the law apply to you

Thanks
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    shm_uk wrote:
    To all the fools out there who continue to RLJ:

If you want cyclists to continue being persecuted and hated as road users, carry on with your dangerous and self-righteous behaviour

If, like most of us, you want to be treated with respect and equality on the road, please behave responsibly and stop making up your own set of rules, or picking and choosing which bits of the law apply to you

Thanks

:roll:
  • Almost T-boned by a jumper today near Old Street. Don't particularly wish to become a sacrificial agent of Darwinism.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Yeah, the Darwin thing was tongue in cheek.

But while we're on it, let's have your sooper-dooper master plans for stopping RLJ'ing.....
  • Motion detecting Tesla coils.. problem solved.
  • The Rookie
    Large hole by side of road, large magnet, suck offending cars and cyclists off the road and drop them in the pit?

Simon
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Yeah, the Darwin thing was tongue in cheek.

But while we're on it, let's have your sooper-dooper master plans for stopping RLJ'ing.....

Rooftop snipers.
  • A reverse version of a speedway start trap.
  • bails87
    Terry Tate, junction linebacker?

(See youtube)
    MTB/CX

• The Rookie
    Perhaps we can arrange for the same technique to target jay-walkers on green for extra efficiency!

Simon
  • bails87
    Well, maybe if jaywalking was an offence here.....
    MTB/CX