A Helmet Debate question

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
No, I'm not trying to open the question of whether you should or should not wear a helmet.

A couple of times lately, I have set off to ride my bike and got down my street before I realised I had forgotten my helmet.

The helmets I wear are adjusted so that they are so comfortable I do not notice I am wearing it.

I know some who oppose wearing a helmet say they are uncomfortable to wear. Is this because the helmets need adjusting to fit better?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    I find them uncomfortable when it's very hot, but that's because my body reacts very badly to heat, so wearing anything I don't absolutely have to is a bad thing for me.

Other than that, my helmets are always comfortable. I would suggest that it's due to poor fitting in most cases, but there will be some people with odd shaped heads who literally can't find a helmet to fit that shape.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    A number of times I've been 10k into my commute and realised it's not there.

I don't really notice it unless I happen to see myself in something reflective; and that would be something that rarely happens because it's not like I know the location of every reflective surface between home and work that would allow me to see how cool I look.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    whyamihere wrote:
    I find them uncomfortable when it's very hot, but that's because my body reacts very badly to heat, so wearing anything I don't absolutely have to is a bad thing for me.

Other than that, my helmets are always comfortable. I would suggest that it's due to poor fitting in most cases, but there will be some people with odd shaped heads who literally can't find a helmet to fit that shape.

I understand the point re hot weather.

It was the general comment re being uncomfortable that made me wonder if it is because of the poor adjustment of the same ( or the pads missing/ worn out) that are the problem, not the helmet itself.

I must state again, I am not trying to re open the debate about whether or not they should be worn
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Asprilla wrote:
    and that would be something that rarely happens because it's not like I know the location of every reflective surface between home and work that would allow me to see how cool I look.

Heh. Me neither. :D

I've forgotten to wear my helmet a few times and not realised till I'm half way to work. As soon as I realise, my gut reaction is to slow down a bit and be hyper-cautious. Whether or not that would suggest the wearing of helmets is a bad thing is open to interpretation.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    edited September 2010
    After spending two afternoons trying on several helmets looking for the best fitting one, and being one of the few who actually spends time fitting it properly and making sure it's comfortable and tight, I prefer riding without, especially when commuting or going to the shops.

I prefer to wear it when on a group or club ride where close quarters riding means higher chances of relatively slow speed collision.

But for me, it makes a big difference not wearing it.

Edit:
    Forgot to mention that when my scalp itches, I can't get my winter gloves through the vents and forces me to stop repeatedly. This seems to be exacerbated by bugs getting stuck up there...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited September 2010
    I had to wear one at the Manchester Velodrome and it just feels odd, having a lump of something plonked on top of the head for no good reason other than someone else insisting on it [yes I know, but it's not the helmet debate, it's about comfort etc].

I'd no sooner put a big lump of plastic on my head to go cycling than attach a vase of flowers up there.

Maybe my helmet is badly adjusted - I've tried everything I can think of to get the straps in the right place and supporting it properly, but all that happens for me is that the front gradually falls forwards so that I end up peering up from underneath the front edge, which gives me neck-ache as I try to get a clear view of the road ahead. I'd rather take the risk and see the road ahead properly thanks.

I only wear one on organised events. 100 miles with neck-ache and having to keep shoving the thing out of the way is no fun. And that's with the straps tight & located as god intended them to be apparently.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Its not an un-usual phenomenon as you become accustomed to wearing one, it becomes comfortable, so you don't notice its not there.

When couriering by motorbike, I left my helmet in petrolstations/offices a couple of times and as you drive down the road you think "Hmm - its noisy, whats wrong with the bike??!?!!!" then you realise...
  • i totally used to wearing my helmet now that if I go out for a ride, I have to wear it or I find it feel really weird.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I don't notice I'm wearing it 10 seconds into the ride.
    Couple of weeks ago I set off and noticed it was nice and breezy going over London Bridge, then realised I wasn't wearing it. Headed back the 2 mins to work and picked it up.

So no issue for me comfort wise.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I feel positively odd if I don't have it on now, on the bike I mean, not generally.

It's like the feeling of not wearing a seatbelt and you want to throw yourself through the windscreen. Or is that just me.
  • If you undo the chinstraps, they make nice, comfy pillows for that mid-jaunt snooze in a field.

I lived and worked in the Algarve for 2 years, and wearing or not wearing a helmet didn't affect my temperature as I was always warm on the bike.

I also had the pleasure of being a Black Cabbie sans seatbelt, and would drive halfway home before I realised I wasn't wearing my seat belt in my private car. :-)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • I really don't like them, because I find them uncomfortable. I have a pretty large head, yes, both literally and metaphorically, and I've tried a few (alright, 2) and always hated them.

Also, because I have very thick hair, my head sweats. This is compounded by a helmet. Bad times.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I wear a helmet to hide my messy curly fuzzy halfbreed hair... I tend to get straight on the bike in the mornings, ride to work, have a shower, apply hair product, blow dry, and only then am I fit for public consumption. This goes both ways though. There are times when I make short journeys that don't end in a shower, and I'll not wear a helmet because it messes my hair :S Yeah, I know, I'm a tart.

I have to say though that I feel naked and unprotected when I'm not wearing a helmet and on those occasions I ride far more cautiously. Conversely, I reckon I take more risks when I'm wearing one.
  • don't quite get the heat thing, each to his own but I had no problem wearing one on a mountain bike in oz in the peak of summer. I think most people who are forced to wear one go and buy the cheapest one they can and spend no time getting the fit right.

these days it seems anything over about 25 quid is easily adjustable and well ventilated.

i put myself in the "I feel wierd without it" section.

I think the idea is they are like shoes not one size or shape fits all but there will be one there for you.
    trek 7.9fx with mudgaurds (Thanks terk for warrenty freebie)

kona kula

mtbr come commuter
  • Started getting a number 1 in summer as I get pretty hot. Helps with keeping cool. Defintely considering a different helmet next summer quite like the look of the new giro prolight.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I used to get very hot under my helmet, but following some advice on here I now wear a little camp cap under my helmet. Weirdly I no-longer get too hot. I still sweat a lot and the cap is sually soaking at the end of a ride, but it helps keep me cool and stops rivlets running down my face.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • My hair is now taking on the appearance of my helmet, then I know it is getting too long.
    Time for a No.1.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Helmets are so difficult - avoiding those awkward colour clashes with one's bike is frankly a nightmare - mine's glacier with harvest moon hints, and in the wrong sort of light it really doesn't work with my saddle at all. :(
  • Had the feeling of surprise of getting a few miles into a ride and realising I haven't put my helmet on. Like has been said, I never notice that I'm wearing it. Plus it has the added benefit of some good padding on the forehead which is where I seem to sweat from profusely - so actually helps absorb all that, rather than have it all running down my face.

If I didn't wear a helmet would probably to have a John McEnroe style head / sweat band on - I think the helmet looks less silly ;)
    Planet X Nanolight High Modulus (Roadie) | 2008 Giant Bowery (Fixie)
  • One of the things to look for in a good helmet are good strap buckles – with most helmets, the straps can slide through the buckles and gradually misadjust themselves after repeated use. On my helmet, the buckles have little spikes in them that securely grip the straps, no danger of slippage no matter how many times I take it on/off.

I quickly notice when I have forgotten to put my helmet on because it’s got my rear-view mirror glued to it.

I do think it is cooler to go helmet-free, however as I wear glasses the helmet visor comes in handy for keeping off rain and avoiding glare.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Its not an un-usual phenomenon as you become accustomed to wearing one, it becomes comfortable, so you don't notice its not there.

When couriering by motorbike, I left my helmet in petrolstations/offices a couple of times and as you drive down the road you think "Hmm - its noisy, whats wrong with the bike??!?!!!" then you realise...

+1 I once went about twenty miles across Hertfordshire, getting home before I realised I'd left my lid in a shop! I ride half face and shades though so I didn't have the noise clue. :lol:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • i really don't like wearing one but i fractured my head a few years ago. so i really have to wear one the trouble is the one i have makes my head really hot and sweaty. that is the only drawback really.
  • I'm autistic and cannot bear to ahve anything on my head - I guess I'm lucky though many autistic people hate the feel of any clothing.
    Hello! I've been here over a month now.
  • I'll be washing my helmet tonight, I noticed this morning it was chucking up a bit. It's been 6 weeks since I washed it last.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    many autistic people hate the feel of any clothing.

I never knew that....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I'll be washing my helmet tonight, I noticed this morning it was chucking up a bit. It's been 6 weeks since I washed it last.

Wash....?

Ooooo..... :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cee wrote:
    many autistic people hate the feel of any clothing.

I never knew that....

"People with Autism often have issues with sensory stimulation, in that their senses, sight, sound, touch, taste and smell, may be over-sensitive, or not sensitive enough. This is the cause for many of the behaviours associated with Autism.

If a person’s senses are over-sensitive, known as hyper-sensitivity, they experience stimulation at a much higher level than most people. For example, what is a quiet humming from a fluorescent light to most people might be unbearably loud to someone with Autism. Certain smells or tastes may make them gag, or they might hate the feeling of certain clothes on their skin. Sensory overload can cause physical pan to a person with Autism, and can also cause them to react slower than expected, for example to a verbal command, as they attempt to process all the information they are being bombarded with. Hypersensitivity can lead to a person trying to block out sensory stimulation, for example by blocking their ears, avoiding eye contact, or preferring to wear very few clothes.

If someone’s senses are not as sensitive as you might expect, known as hyposensitivity, then they may not experience sensory stimulation that is going on around them. For example, they might not respond to someone talking to them, or they may have a very high pain threshold. Hyposensitivity can lead to a person seeking out sensory stimulation, which can result in behaviours such as hand-flapping, making loud noises, or eating non-edible items.

The most important thing to remember about Autism is that each person with the condition is an individual. One person will not be affected in exactly the same way as another, and expected ‘Autistic’ behaviours may well not be displayed. With early intervention and appropriate support, people with Autism can lead full and active lives. The key to helping people with Autism is by promoting awareness of the condition, and trying to dispel the common myths and stereotypes associated with it, in order that practical solutions can be found.
    http://www.autism-anglia.org.uk/about/about_autism.htm

I am actually very fussy about what I wear - but can dress fairly normally - some fabrics bother me more than others.
  • If someone’s senses are not as sensitive as you might expect, known as hyposensitivity, then they may not experience sensory stimulation that is going on around them. For example, they might not respond to someone talking to them, or they may have a very high pain threshold. Hyposensitivity can lead to a person seeking out sensory stimulation, which can result in behaviours such as hand-flapping, making loud noises, or eating non-edible items.

My Godson has aspergers and exhibits this type of behaviour - as far as his sisters are concerned he's just a pain in the arse :wink:

When he's chatting online, you see the person 'inside' the aspergers (for want of a better expression) and it really was a revelation, although he does still display the typical 13 year old hyper state on occasion :roll: :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • If someone’s senses are not as sensitive as you might expect, known as hyposensitivity, then they may not experience sensory stimulation that is going on around them. For example, they might not respond to someone talking to them, or they may have a very high pain threshold. Hyposensitivity can lead to a person seeking out sensory stimulation, which can result in behaviours such as hand-flapping, making loud noises, or eating non-edible items.

My Godson has aspergers and exhibits this type of behaviour - as far as his sisters are concerned he's just a pain in the ars* :wink:

When he's chatting online, you see the person 'inside' the aspergers (for want of a better expression) and it really was a revelation, although he does still display the typical 13 year old hyper state on occasion :roll: :wink:

Think I'm often a pain the proverbial, though I have learned to temper the behaviours that seem to wind people up the most. 8)