why are hyperbaric tents banned ?

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited September 2010 in Pro race
just read Ricco had one after his recent arrest :roll: and that they are banned, but why ?

they are not adding anything to your phyisological make up artificially ? I presume riders from Bogata are not banned when they race at sea level ?

just curious

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    They are banned in Italy but not other countries. I remember an instance when Robbie McEwen had his altitude tent nicked by the Italian border police or something like that.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ricco wasn't arrested.

Lets' not start some kind of urban myth now.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ok sorry - Rossi was found with it .... still cant understand why they would be banned in one country, that makes even less sense
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ok sorry - Rossi was found with it .... still cant understand why they would be banned in one country, that makes even less sense

Yes, been like it for a while. I think the Italian position is they're used to "mask" doping and provide an artifical boost.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I don't know the answer, but there is 3 reasons why it could be banned in Italy.

1. Extremely dangerous. Oxygen at increased pressure = explosive potential.

2. Medical treatment. Only doctors allowed to treat patients with Oxygen.

3. Bottled pure oxygen might require a license.

It's 20 years since I last worked with Oxy-Acetaline welding. But we could only get the Oxygen from a registered dealer (British Oxygen if I remember correctly). So I suppose Italy has a similar policy.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Actually these tents don't involve pressure, they instead pump in air with a reduced oxygen percentage. It's based on an oxygen pump used for those with breathing problems but rather than pumping more oxygen down the pipe, the reverse happens with the oxygen being removed and a higher nitrogen mix goes down the pipe. Hypoxic tent is the correct term.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hyperbaric chambers also exist - no? Used in diving to equalize pressure, etc? But not exactly portable.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Actually these tents don't involve pressure, they instead pump in air with a reduced oxygen percentage. It's based on an oxygen pump used for those with breathing problems but rather than pumping more oxygen down the pipe, the reverse happens with the oxygen being removed and a higher nitrogen mix goes down the pipe. Hypoxic tent is the correct term.

Looks like you're right, it's a Hypoxic tent. I had to google for more info and found a section on wiki indicating that the World Anti-Doping Agency were "planning" to ban them, but it was found to be unenforceable. So I suppose nobody told the Italian Customs that.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Kléber wrote:

Looks like you're right, it's a Hypoxic tent. I had to google for more info and found a section on wiki indicating that the World Anti-Doping Agency were "planning" to ban them, but it was found to be unenforceable. So I suppose nobody told the Italian Customs that.

Don't confuse sporting rules and regulations with National laws.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    In a separate but related issue, Ricco's wife's brother (a cyclist himself) was arrested for drug trafficking (in EPO, etc). What I love is how his team manager conveniently is not close to him and has no idea what he's been up to. :rolleyes:
    Team Manager Roberto Marrone told Cycling Weekly, "I saw him last at the race on Sunday [in Prato], but as a manager I don't have close relationships with all my riders."
  • ok sorry - Rossi was found with it .... still cant understand why they would be banned in one country, that makes even less sense

This is cycling...when has it made sense?