One of you....

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Yep, I'm officially one of you now!

Just done my first ever bike commute (after a test run at the weekend)

14 miles, 46 minutes, averaged over 18 mph :D

Only had one scary moment when a HGV didn't seem to move out to overtake me on a long, straight NSL road, luckily I was able to go straight up a dropped kerb to get away from it.

I just need to make it home now.....
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Naaah, you've got to achieve the full round trip first :lol:

(ps congrats!!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    bails87 wrote:
    Yep, I'm officially one of you now!

Just done my first ever bike commute (after a test run at the weekend)

14 miles, 46 minutes, averaged over 18 mph :D

Only had one scary moment when a HGV didn't seem to move out to overtake me on a long, straight NSL road, luckily I was able to go straight up a dropped kerb to get away from it.

I just need to make it home now.....

Good effort, well done - welcome to hell!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    woo hoo, welcome matey!
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Now whatever you do, don't get a bike computer, don't give yourself a target for the year, don't make a note of your weekly average so that you can try and beat it and don't time yourself. Then you can actually relax and enjoy it!

Ah...
  • bails87
    W1 wrote:
    Now whatever you do, don't get a bike computer, don't give yourself a target for the year, don't make a note of your weekly average so that you can try and beat it and don't time yourself. Then you can actually relax and enjoy it!

Ah...
    :lol:

I've got that Cateye Commuter one that looks at your average speed so far and gives you an ETA for the journey. First ride and I was already trying to get the time down! :oops:
    MTB/CX

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Good work on the commute. Good timing. Tail end of the good weather so you gradually get used to the colder weather of winter. Diving into cycling during really cold weather is hard, but if you build up to it...

My computer died a while back (its wireless and only picks up the sensor occassionally), so now its just a clock.

It is much more relaxing that way, not chasing numbers, but there are times when you want to chase those numbers.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Good work on the commute. Good timing. Tail end of the good weather so you gradually get used to the colder weather of winter. Diving into cycling during really cold weather is hard, but if you build up to it...

My computer died a while back (its wireless and only picks up the sensor occassionally), so now its just a clock.

It is much more relaxing that way, not chasing numbers, but there are times when you want to chase those numbers.

I chose not to put a computer on my fixie (more for aesthetic reason perhaps...) but I'm very happy not chasing numbers on my commute nowadays. Perhaps I am riding slower - actually, scratch that, I am definitely riding slower UNLESS there are scalps to be had, which there often are - but it's certainly more zen.
  • bails87
    biondino wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I chose not to put a computer on my fixie (more for aesthetic reason perhaps...) but I'm very happy not chasing numbers on my commute nowadays. Perhaps I am riding slower - actually, scratch that, I am definitely riding slower UNLESS there are scalps to be had, which there often are - but it's certainly more zen.

I was MTBing all through the winter, including night rides in the snow, so cold itself isn't a problem, just ice I guess.

And my journey (apart from a couple of miles at one end and half a mile at the other) is all just open roads, witha grand total of 2 roundabouts and one traffic light (which I can divert around)! So without the numbers to chase it would be boring :wink:

Still, it was a glorious morning, the sun was just cutting through the mist over the fields as I was riding, lovely stuff :D
    MTB/CX

• I stopped using my computer as anything but a clock for my commute when I resigned myself to the fact that no matter how fast and well I ride, some thick tourist is going to step out in front of me. Two broken hands, two sets of shredded knee ligaments and six months off the bike later and now I just ride my own pace and concentrate on watching the peds. Unless someone fancies a race, but I don't time myself for that.

I save my computer for my racing bike and weekend rides.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • bails87
    I made it home! :D
    That's a typical bit of road on my journey, so I'm not fighting my way through crowds of peds, they're still about occasionally and I watch out for them. But for the most part I can just merrily spin away
    HHRoad.jpg
    MTB/CX

• Did my first full commute there and back on the roads today through Birmingham having been on towpaths all summer.

There are some idiots about but I think that's partly because drivers aren't used to seeing many bikes on the route I go.

Got myself in at an average on 14.8mph on my hybrid with some moderate hills and loads of roundabouts/lights. I will be chasing 15 and then eventually 16 during the autumn.
  • t0pc4t
    bails87 wrote:
    I made it home! :D
    That's a typical bit of road on my journey, so I'm not fighting my way through crowds of peds, they're still about occasionally and I watch out for them. But for the most part I can just merrily spin away
    HHRoad.jpg

where do you ride to and from Bails?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • bails87
    t0pc4t
    Between Warwick and Solihull
    MTB/CX

• t0pc4t
    ah right, wondered if it was a bit of the west mids I knew but I'm from Wolverhampton / Stafford way

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6