Giro di Lombardia: changed route for 2010

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited September 2010 in Pro race
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5747/ ... -2010.aspx

"After the Ghisallo, instead of descending towards Erbe, the race will turn right to pass over the 1124m Colma di Sornmao. Rising 629m in 9.6km, the Sormano presents a much longer and tougher climb than is usually experienced at this stage of the race. With just 41km to go from the top it will likely thin the peloton further as it makes its way to the finish."

Starts in Milan 1st time for 26 years and the Colma di Sornmano should make the selection more exclusive. This is always the best classic of the year imo hopefully this year should be the same.
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    the Colma di Sormano is very tough. Not quite as hard as the Muro di Sormano which is just around the corner, but this will be where the selection takes place... I suspect that they may skip the climb to civiglio now and go straight to San Fermo for the last climb.

http://www.bdc-forum.it/showthread.php? ... 3&langid=2
    www.dotcycling.com
  • I though, for one moment, that in the Italians' appetite for one-upmanship, they were going to include the Muro - cue rampant protests and accusations of "barbarity" from the riders etc etc? The Colma is hard, but not stupid hard, but will certainly spice things up.
  • They have beefed up the parcours, without going daft and changing the character of the race.
    The Muro di Sormano would in all probability have taken out the support vehicles.

Will be interesting to see if Phil Gilbert can survive the back to back big ones.

Riders suck as Robert Gesink and dare I say it, Chris Horner, should be licking their lips.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Plus it goes from 240km to 260km. Nibali and other GC riders will be ones to watch as well.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Frank Schleck...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I don't know if Hesjedal is riding but he would be one to look out for.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Dan Martin - 8th last year and going better this year.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    It's inclusion has made the race slightly more suited to the climbers rather than the puncheurs in my view. The descent down to the lake from the summit of the Sormano is pretty technical in places, although not quite as hair raising as the Civiglio descent, so it might enable a small group to get away and hold any gap to the finish.