What SPD Pedals Do I Need?

Bonkleg
Bonkleg Posts: 22
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi

I recently decided to take my MTB hobby further by enrolling in http://www.mountainbikeskillscourses.co.uk/csbegin.asp which honestly was the best money I have spent since buying the bike. It was at Cwmcarn and the instructor was awesome. He showed us the techniques required to enjoy the course safely (and as fast as possible).

The problem is now have the bug big time the only thing that is getting me down is that on the massive uphills at Cwmcarn my foot keeps coming off the pedals making me lose momentum and ground and ultimatley swear. I have cycling shoes but they keep slipping off. Though I have avoided clip on pedals as I am clumsier than Frank Spencer I realise that I will need them in ored to tackle the uphill part of the course.

Any tips or recommendations on buying the pedals and shoes?

Thanks

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The cheap shimanos (520s) offer great value pedals for under 20 notes. As for shoes try on as many as you can! Fit is everything.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    The cheap shimanos (520s) offer great value pedals for under 20 notes. As for shoes try on as many as you can! Fit is everything.

+1 for the Shimano M520 at £20 inc cleats at most good online stores.

I use them on the MTB bike and I've used them on 50 mile road sportives.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    520s are the defacto pedals for getting into being clipped in.

However, you shouldnt need to be clipped in to stop your feet coming off the pedals. My missus had this probem and we sorted it through a combo of better technique and better flat pedals and shoe combo. A good V8 or Welgo copy should stop your feet slipping off, and if it still happens then its got to be down to technique.

What bike are you riding and what shoes/pedals do you have? Are they SPD ready? And do you really want to be clipped in?
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • If you want to try clipless then the m520 with shoes that fit your feet and budget are a good place. I'd advise going and getting the shoes at least at your lbs so you can get a good fit, dont forget your riding socks!

But i'd advise learning to pedal better rather than bolting yourself to the bike as a panacea.

Which pedals do you have currently?
  • My bike is a Giant Talon 2.5 the instructor on the course said that my pedals were very slippery he noticed that my feet kept slipping off. Though I do have a club foot (which is why i callynself
    Bonk leg) which means that I tend to push down with the heel oft right foot rather than the ball of my foot as you should. I think clip ons should correct this.
  • Depending on how severe it is, you might struggle to get clipless set up properly to accommodate yourself.

If you are most comfortable using your heel then i wouldn't worry about it too much, just because you're 'supposed' to use the ball of your foot doesn't mean you have to, it's a case of finding what works for your physiology. I'd see if you can borrow some decent flats and see if that solves the issue.
  • F@RRR
    F@RRR Posts: 62
    M520's for me too . mine have suffered 6 weeks of 23 stone bearing down on them every day and are still spot on . £19.95 from here post free arrived next day . got a pair of shimano shoes off ebay for £15 . I feel so much more in control yes there are occasion when you don't get your feet out quick enough but you'll get better with practice

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-PD-M520-SPD-Clipless-MTB-Pedals-Blk-Cleats-NEW-/390206042309?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5ada17b0c5#ht_2191wt_1002
    blk-weight.png
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try decent flats. If you force your foot into a position it's not comfortable with, you could wreck your knee. Knees are not good at twisting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I installed a pair of crank bros candy c 2009 pedals which I got for 30 quid online. Using them with shimano mt42 shoes. I have not ridden a bike in something over 20 years and I have gone straight in to spd. Finding it quite natural to be honest. Maybe because I am used to being strapped in to a snowboard? My first time on spd was also my first time off road on a trail. I found that being strapped in made me commit to stuff and second guess myself less. When I did bottle out unclipping was not very hard.

Having said all that I did tip over when was too tired to remember to unclip. :)
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Remember that you can buy multi release cleats which is what I use, so they are easier to unclip if you need to in a hurry. I prefer the 540's. They rock. I would never go back to flats
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I like my SPDs and now prefer them to flats. But you should try some decent flats first. Something like Wellgo MG1s would be a good bet, or a Wellgo copy of some DMRs.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dubcat
    What Are multiple release cleats? With mine I just flick my heals out to release.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Dubcat wrote:
    What Are multiple release cleats? With mine I just flick my heals out to release.
    They allow you to release in pretty much any direction, not just with a twist. Give them a quick google to see the difference visually. If you pull up hard enough on them, they will release. Better to start with and for some riders, but also have a chance of releasing when you dont want them too.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • dubcat
    Ah thanks. I'll stick with the normal ones then.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • I took the plunge and bought a pair of Shimano MW80 shoes and pedals. I tried them out on the flat then tried a trail, though I did go arse over tit on one bend, I couldn't believe the power I was getting going up hill.

Thanks for the advice fellas
  • dubcat
    I did an entire 25 miles xc ride today without falling off once :). It's only my third time iut on spd. You get used to them really fast.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    I love my Shimano XT pedals which are similar to the ones people are mentioning here, but a little lighter and feel a bit smoother to me. The main thing to do is find shoes that fit correctly, even if you have to squeeze your budget that little bit more, it'll pay you dividends in your riding for years to come. I set my pedals to be as easy to release as possible and they haven't yet let me slip out and in large crashes I've found I'm not still attached to the bike and getting twisted ankles like some of my friends who keep their cleats tight. I think the multi release cleats are a waste of time as they release if you pull up, which is a pain once you've got used to SPDs and like to muscle the bike around corners on climbs. Also most mountain bike SPDs have so much float you won't get knee issues, however they do take some setting up to get completely comfortable. I have issues after a torn ACL and inflamed ITB (in different legs) and I find SPDs, when correctly set, to be as comfortable if not better than flats.