Time Trial Tips

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
edited October 2010 in Amateur race
I am taking part in my first time trial on Saturday, it is a 10 miler. Grateful for any tips to help shave a few seconds off my time.

Am going to be pleased with anything under 30 mins.

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Don't start off too hard, build up to max effort over the first 0.5 mile, to 1 mile.

Last mile or so, really give it everything, and don't stop pedalling until after the finish line.

Stay as aero as you can for the duration of the race, if you haven't raced for 30 mins on the drops (I gather you will be on a road bike), it will probably be painful, but bear with it.

Don't go into the red on the hills/ uphill parts, pace it so you can pick up speed very quickly at the top of the hill.

I would also warm up, with the warm up getting your HR up to near race level, if only for a short period. Below is a typical warm up for me.

20 mins, with a few hard efforts for about 3 mins each, HR will climb towards race effort levels, but not actually get there. I will drink about 500ml of energy drink during the warm up. I don't bother drinking on a 10, the race is just too short to worry about hydration.

Get to the start in time, I usually get there about 5 mins before.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I'd suggest you 'recce' the course, if possible.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Thanks for the tips, afraid I didn't make it under 30 mins, 30:47, gutted. Roll on my next TT!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Well done, for having done it.
    You'll be better prepared for your next one, knowing how this one felt.
    I'm sure that in similar weather conditions, you'll PB next time. :wink:

How did you think your TT went?
    Had you given it your all?... Did you go off too quick?... Was there anything left in the tank at the end, etc?...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Definately work on starting at a lower effort and building throughout, this is my biggest downfall.

did my first open yesterday, in 25mph winds and pouring rain, made the mistake of going off to fast into the wind, hit 181 hr in the first mile (mhr is 186) and suffered because of it for the rest of the race.
  • Stay as aero as you can for the duration of the race, if you haven't raced for 30 mins on the drops (I gather you will be on a road bike), it will probably be painful, but bear with it.

i would have said it is just as if not more aero to stay on the hoods but get low so your forearms are resting on the bars, or pretend you have tri bars and rest your forearms in the middle of your bars, as this reduces your frontal area alot, as others have said a warm up is important but do not kill yourself in it if you havn't done much cycling before and also make sure you get to the start in time but don't leave too long a gap from the end of your warm up to the start of the race. What race prep(day before) did you do?
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Stay as aero as you can for the duration of the race, if you haven't raced for 30 mins on the drops (I gather you will be on a road bike), it will probably be painful, but bear with it.

i would have said it is just as if not more aero to stay on the hoods but get low so your forearms are resting on the bars, or pretend you have tri bars and rest your forearms in the middle of your bars, as this reduces your frontal area alot, as others have said a warm up is important but do not kill yourself in it if you havn't done much cycling before and also make sure you get to the start in time but don't leave too long a gap from the end of your warm up to the start of the race. What race prep(day before) did you do?

If you're going to do that practice it first. A lot. On your own. On very quiet roads. :shock:

We have a fairly new rider who keeps trying to do this on the front of the club run, and scares the crap out of everyone around around him by wobbling all over the place. So please if you're going to try this, make sure it's safe!
  • SBezza
    JackPozzi wrote:

If you're going to do that practice it first. A lot. On your own. On very quiet roads. :shock:

We have a fairly new rider who keeps trying to do this on the front of the club run, and scares the crap out of everyone around around him by wobbling all over the place. So please if you're going to try this, make sure it's safe!

+1

I don't think an organisor really wants to deal with a rider that has hit a bump in the road and lost control.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    danowat wrote:
    did my first open yesterday, in 25mph winds and pouring rain, made the mistake of going off to fast into the wind, hit 181 hr in the first mile (mhr is 186) and suffered because of it for the rest of the race.
    It's difficult to hold back at the start but it pays off, even in a 10. This info might help:

http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_fac ... tstrat.htm

The warm-up advice I've seen before an event suggests that the shorter the race the longer the warm-up. Don't overdo it, but gradually increase your effort until you're not far off race pace then ease back steadily. Arrive at the start no more than a couple of minutes before you are due to go off so you don't cool off too much.

I'd suggest you *don't* pretend you have tri-bars if you don't have them! Practice riding on the drops in a low, flat-backed position with your elbows in. Concentrate on breathing and steady output and focus on getting your legs to do the work (not rocking on the bike), and pedalling smoothly instead of confining your effort to the down stroke.

A suggested training session: After a warmup do two 20 minute sessions at an effort you could hold for an hour (known as FTP) with 10 mins easy spinning in low gear in between and 10 mins warm down at the end.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Hey Guys, I'm new to all of this - the cycling and the forum :!:

But great tips and advice - Thank you

I live and ride in Saudi (Originally from the UK) and have mapped out 10m circuit and gave it a go on my Specialized Roubaix (Expert), Been riding it for a month now.

The course is fairly flat, a moderate head wind and 98degrees at 9:30pm (You do get used to it!) :D I posted a time of 29:15.

My question is really around trying to understand the tribar effect v regular bars, once your down on the regular bars your pretty much aerodynamic so will the Tribars have that much effect? And also a better understanding of the advantages of monitoring your heart rate.

I can see how you can get hooked on TTs.
  • the advantage of the tribar effect is that it brings your arms and elbows into line with your legs, meaning that the air has to go round a smaller frontal area. it also pretty much forces your body to be as flat as possible.

And also, the point from SBezza about not drinking on a 10, there is evidence to suggest that ingesting a carbohydrate drink or gel whilst riding may not actually provide any energy within the race, but the brain *somehow* senses that carbohydrate is on the way and therefore allows more of your current reserves to be used. something like that.
    this may not be of huge benefit, but just thought i'd stick it in there :D
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • Brilliant advice, been very helpful. I'm very nervous about doing a TT, but some good advice!
    ~I like to bike~
  • And also, the point from SBezza about not drinking on a 10, there is evidence to suggest that ingesting a carbohydrate drink or gel whilst riding may not actually provide any energy within the race, but the brain *somehow* senses that carbohydrate is on the way and therefore allows more of your current reserves to be used. something like that.

There is no advantage in drinking during the TT - you are better off taking the carbohydrate swill on the start line and throwing the bottle away before you start so that you don't lose time drinking and being les saerodynamic.both carrying the bottle and drinking from it. I haven't looked at the paper on this recently, but did it say how long the effect lasted? ie what was the half life of the effect?
  • XtotheZ
    XtotheZ Posts: 24
    Cycling PLus has a dvd this month about TT, interviewing Fabian cancellara, they also included a lot of tips on it eg: pacing, recovery etc
  • SBezza
    And also, the point from SBezza about not drinking on a 10, there is evidence to suggest that ingesting a carbohydrate drink or gel whilst riding may not actually provide any energy within the race, but the brain *somehow* senses that carbohydrate is on the way and therefore allows more of your current reserves to be used. something like that.

For a 10, it is pointless, you would probably lose more time in getting the bottle out of the cage, drinking it, and putting it back in in the loss of aeroness to the second or two you might gain.

All the studies were done on 40km TT's IIRC , now here drinking might be of an advantage, but in a 10 you will lose more time both aero wise, and the loss of concentration of drinking.
  • i stand corrected :)

I cant find the original paper for this piece of research, Metalib is so flaming huge.
    T'was an interesting find, anyway
    Go for the break
    Create a chaingang
    Make sure you don't break your chain
  • i stand corrected :)

I cant find the original paper for this piece of research, Metalib is so flaming huge.
    T'was an interesting find, anyway

Use links from this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20453646

also

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19952850