Waterproof Commuting Shoes/Trainers

sam_m
sam_m Posts: 61
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
I've not been riding for that long, and use my bike for general running around as well as 'going for a ride' so I've not taken the plunge and gone for clipless pedals yet.

However, I'm sick of my trainers getting soaked at the moment and it takes them a good 3 days to dry out, so I'm looking for recommendations for MTB/walking type shoes (whether SPD or not). So far, I've looked at the Specialized Taho (which isn't waterproof, but looks good), the Shimano MT60 (much uglier, but GoreTex lining) or thought about a cheaper non-SPD shoe like my brother's cheap Karrimor hiking shoes (eVent lining), the problem with the latter being that the vibram sole is pretty bendy and so not ideal for cycling.

I'm happy with my platform pedal at the moment, so getting a stiffer cycling shoe might be better, and I can keep the cleat cover on until I want to get new pedals. I'll probably go for a sealskin sock as well, but definitely want a shoe that isn't going to get soaked inside and won't take forever to dry out.

I've had a good search, but would appreciate your advice while I google the subject further.

Edit - I'm guessing that platform pedals would rip an SPD shoe rain cover to pieces?

Comments

• I just wear plastic sports sandals, no socks. Think of it as extra cooling.
  • sam_m wrote:
    I'm happy with my platform pedal at the moment, so getting a stiffer cycling shoe might be better

IMHO the shoes won't really help if you don't have the pedals to match! I use Spesh MTB SPD shoes on my racer, and they're awkward to walk in, never mind trying to use platform pedals!

I don't think truly waterproof overshoes exist. A decent front mudguard will keep the worst at bay, but water will still get in. The best waterproof overshoes I've found are a couple of Co-Op carrier bags (these don't have the little holes in, unlike other supermarkets :) )!! Tie 'em round your ankles using the handles, and then a few of those red rubber bands (that the postman drops on my driveway most days) secure things nicely
  • Gore tex socks when it's just damp and neoprene overshoes (Endura) when it's pouring
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Shimano MW80s? Just got a pair myself. Round about £100 (got mine for a bit less from Wiggle with discount & voucher code), but very warm, water-resistant & get very positive reviews.

Overshoes should be fine on platforms- they'll get cut up more from walking around. But they're last you a winter or two with care, and cheap enough to replace anyway.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • StuAff wrote:
    Shimano MW80s? Just got a pair myself. Round about £100 (got mine for a bit less from Wiggle with discount & voucher code), but very warm, water-resistant & get very positive reviews.

Overshoes should be fine on platforms- they'll get cut up more from walking around. But they're last you a winter or two with care, and cheap enough to replace anyway.

I have these too.

They stopped my toes freezing, and do a decent job of keeping water out. Don't expect miracles, though - given enough rain, water runs down your legs or somehow gets in. But they work as well as anything I've tried. They are also durable - judging by the wear and tear so far, they look set to last me about ten years. A tenner a year sounds good value to me.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    StuAff wrote:

I have these too.

They stopped my toes freezing, and do a decent job of keeping water out. Don't expect miracles, though - given enough rain, water runs down your legs or somehow gets in. But they work as well as anything I've tried. They are also durable - judging by the wear and tear so far, they look set to last me about ten years. A tenner a year sounds good value to me.

Yup, water's insidious stuff- and I've heard about the cuffs letting it in anyway. Nothing's 100% watertight (well, and breathable!). But even if my feet get wet, they should be warm!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    sealskinz socks - then the shoe don't matter!! (cheaper too)
  • I wear Tuf work boots, they're not waterproof, but with sealskinz socks, they work. To dry the boots out, I stuff them full of old newspaper overnight. By morning they're dry, so no problem. Just have to make sure I've got a supply of old newspapers.
    k.curtis
  • when I'm wanting to walk more than ride, or its icy and I don't fancy being clipped in. I use a pair of Karrimore walking shoes, the sole is grippy enough for pedals, thick enought to be comfy and intended to flex concave when you've got your toes planted and raise your heel, so the convex pressure you put on when pedalling isn't as bad and they're stiffer than trainers, so you'll notice a positive difference anyway.

they are 90% fine compared to my shimano or spesh SPD shoes and plenty more warm and waterproof
  • Us cyclists often wear cycling shoes full of holes for ventilation, then when it rains we put on overshoes to block up the holes. Crazy really. Logic states that you should go for a shoe that repels water and is breathable. The only material that does this is Leather. The only leather cycling shoe, is the Exustar ( there are some others). So when it rains forget fancy racing shoes, leave them for fine days. I have also tried loads of overshoes, and none of them are waterproof, no matter what the manufacturers say. The best ones, but they look a bit naff, are Eager overshoes. Always block up cleat holes with bathroom sealant, otherwise water will pour in up through the shoes. And get Mudguards with a good wide flap on the front to deflect water sideways. If none of this works, then plastic bags are the only answer. Water always gets in eventually, but you can prolong it. The above system works for about an hour, definately enough for a commute, but longer rides with incessant rain, and feet always get wet.

Armitage Shanks