Crank Brothers Multi 19 Tool question

Midnight Tboy
Midnight Tboy Posts: 58
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hiya,

ok so I haven't ridden a bike since I was a kid some 15yrs+ ago.

I've just this afternoon received delivery of my new bike, and this morning I also received, amongst other things, the Crank Brothers Multi 19 Tool, as it seemed to be highly rated.

Anyway I have a couple of, most likely, silly questions.

1. The chain/spoke tool - is there actually any guides/videos on how to use this tool as it looks alien to me, so wouldn't know where to start :) I've never had to fix a chain or spoke in my life :)

2. The case it comes with. Does anyone actually use it? First of all it took a bit of effort to get the lid off....but secondly, if you push the tool all the way into it, it then becomes a nightmare trying to get it back out - its way too small - had to use a knife to prise the bloody thing back out. From what I'd read somewhere suggested as if it was a fair sized tin, but certainly not that - can only just squeeze the tool in and even then not able to put the lid back on afters (aswell as can't carry a knife around to prise the tool back out everytime want to use it :))

Other than that - I'm glad it come before the bike.....as the bike never came with correct size allen key so got its first use at least.

Have to wait for my shock pump to arrive before I can use it - as think will most likely have to increase psi as a) dont know what its currently set to - and b) I'm a 17stone porker

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    1. The chain/spoke tool - is there actually any guides/videos on how to use this tool as it looks alien to me
    Did they send you a Topeak instead? :wink:

I have a Crank Brothers multi tool but it didn't come with a case so I can't help you there.

Using a chain tool is very easy (it must be if I can do it!), this video is pretty good: http://bicycletutor.com/chain-tool/, although not using your tool it is the same principal.

I've recently started using SRAM powerlinks after getting some advice on here, if you rotate your chains I'd recommend them as a quick and easy way of connecting and disconnectin them.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • I've got the same tool I think, and i use the case. Perhaps there's a "right way" to put the tool in the case as I've never had any problems getting it in or out, or get the lid off?

Perhaps a quick spray of WD40 would help?

Incidentally, there is a free crank brothers tool to be found somewhere on the "beginning of the end" section at coed y brenin as I forgot to put it back in my pack after a quick repair. :D
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    I have that tool and the tool slips in and out of the metal tin with ease.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • hmmm maybe I might need to grease it up then.

It slips in fairly easy - but with a good inch still sticking out - its when push it past that point that the thing goes in and refuses to budge (and then can't get the lid on either)

unless they've changed the tin design perhaps? When its fully in theres only a few mm of grip for the fingers to try to pull it out - of which it wont budge - hence having to use a knife or anything available to prise it up to the point where I can pull it again.

Even the lid itself is a pain to get open - small grooves on the end - and needs some force to it.

Maybe I should take a picture of it to make sure its the same size of case that yous have :) Certainly not enough room for putting a toothpick in never mind anything else - could have swore I'd read somewhere that people were putting spare inner tubes in and things (but could have been a different model I was reading about as was reading reviews for a few)

Shock pump and helmet have been delivered today, so can finally pump up the forks and give the bike a proper ride :D:D:D
  • oh and thanks for the vid link - will be sure to have a watch of it a bit later on :)
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Got one and have no problems getting it in or out of the tin. :?
  • I purchased the multi 19 few days ago.
    But I noticed that in my tool there is only one flat screwdriver (instead of two, like specs that I read on site) and in place of that there is a torx 10mm tool. There are then 2 torx tool (t-25 and t-10).

What happened? How are the your multi 19?
    Are there two kind of this tool on sale?

In the Crank Brothers official site, if you go on Product specs for the Multi 19 you can see there listed 2 flat scredrivers. But... if you click on the "Buy now" button in the same page you go in Crank e-commerce site and there the Multi 19 specs change! In fact you can see 1 flat screwdriver and 2 torx tool (like mine).

Whichever is correct??
    Is mine tool an old version or a too new version?

Thank you.
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    Midnight Tboy
    If you look at either end of the tool carefully (as if looking along the length of the individual tools when folded) you will notice that it appears to be thicker where the larger sized allen keys are. If you slide the tool into the box with this section of the tool nearest to the squared end of the box, it should fit quite easily.
    Hope this makes sense.

• I make my apology because I went "slightly" off topic in my previous post :oops:

But in this thread there are certainly several owner of the Multi 19 tool (obviously :D ) and I thought that some of you could answer to my doubts.

To remain in topic: my multi 19 tool fit perfectly in its case, without any resistance. By the way, my case is like the image linked, and also it take a bit of effort to get the lid off. I saw other pictures of the case that are slightly different (on Crank Brothers site, for example), and I don't know why...