Hi! - Beginner Issues

mini99
mini99 Posts: 12
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hi!

I should start by saying I'm not exactly new to road cycling: I've been on my current roadie for about 10 months now, and I love cycling. However, I do have a few issues I cant seem to clear up, and I still consider myself a relative newb:

(1) My bike size: I estimate that it's too big for me. I'm 5'10, have relatively long legs and short reach. I've begun to notice that, on longer rides, my lower back starts to ache a bit? is this common for people who are stretching their torso to get into the drops? I've tried shortening stem (80mm) and lowering seat height to fix the problem. The lower seat height has worked ok, but I feel like I am flexible enough to take on an aggressive position, yet I'm stopped by my random back pains!

(2) I'm looking into getting a new bike in the coming months, and after checking out various fit calculators online, most of the geometries I check out don't match my needs exactly. Should I be focusing more on the top tube length or the seat tube length? Also, I'm planning on building this bike myself, so would it be acceptable if I went to a LBS to get a fit, even though I wouldn't plan on buying from them?

Any answers would help me immensely! In the meantime, just like to say Hi, and I'll continue trawling through forums to find more info! :)
might also get a pic of my bike up here soon if I can...

Comments

• Hi

I would recommend you get a proper bike fitting done - this is unlikely to be your LBS - but depending on where you live - it may be.
    Do a search for bike fitting and find one you feel comfortable with.
    I was in a similar position to you (see what I did there) and went to Bike dynamics in Lemington Spa - The great thing I found about them is that everything he did was explained and demonstrated live as the whole session is captured on video. Previously I had got information overload from all the conflicting 'advice' that is out there.
    Check out the website and see what you think

[urlhttp://www.bikedynamics.co.uk/

[/url]
  • Short reach and long legs is usually fixable by running a smaller frame with a lot of post showing. I'd always size by length as changing that tends to mess up the frame handling a lot more than a little bit of extra post.
  • Wow - that video was actually really helpful. In fact, now that I think about it, my LBS would probably NOT offer such a good fitting service. But i'll have a look around and see if I can find someone good.

ride_whenever: that's what I assumed the solution might be. So if I were to choose a smaller frame, would I choose the measurement of the frame using the top tube length, since the saddle height can accommodate my leg length?