Oxford to Cambridge

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
The only organised ride I've participated in was Birmingham to Oxford (20 years ago).

Have these things changed much during the intervening years? is this one worth doing or are there too many people taking part to make it enjoyable?

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Why would anyone want to cycle from a city which is the epitomy of learning to a damp technical college in a fen ?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Why would anyone want to cycle from a city which is the epitomy of learning to a damp technical college in a fen ?
    In order to get a proper education which, amongst many other things, would include the correct spelling of the word 'epitome'...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    TGOTB wrote:
    Why would anyone want to cycle from a city which is the epitomy of learning to a damp technical college in a fen ?
    In order to get a proper education which, amongst many other things, would include the correct spelling of the word 'epitome'...

Bullseye!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    gbsahne wrote:
    The only organised ride I've participated in was Birmingham to Oxford (20 years ago).

Have these things changed much during the intervening years? is this one worth doing or are there too many people taking part to make it enjoyable?

Any info appreciated.
    Anyway. Organised rides are good fun; you get to ride with a different crowd, there's usually some element of marshalling & food stops if you want them. It's only L2B that's so over-subscribed as to be a bit of a PITA on some parts of the route; these smaller events would be more enjoyable. I'd jump at it if I wasn't already in the Blenheim Palace event that day.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    TGOTB wrote:
    In order to get a proper education which..

Or if one worked for the KGB to buy national secrets from traitors.

I agree since the fall of the iron curtain Cambridge's prodigious traitor output has been sorely wasted, all those pretty clever disloyal boys really have had nothing to sell out to.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    CiB wrote:
    Anyway. Organised rides are good fun; you get to ride with a different crowd, there's usually some element of marshalling & food stops if you want them. It's only L2B that's so over-subscribed as to be a bit of a PITA on some parts of the route; these smaller events would be more enjoyable. I'd jump at it if I wasn't already in the Blenheim Palace event that day.

Thanks for that I'll bear it in mind
  • PBo wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Bullseye!

Pedant trap :wink:
  • I did the Oxford to Cambridge last year...it was my first event of the type and it was pretty enjoyable. Well marshalled and not too many participants (depending on what time you set off). No food or anything provided, but there are pubs on the route which cater for the riders (water, OJ. bananas etc...)

Crucially, once you pass the Beds/Cambs border the earth miraculously flattens and nurses you home to the beer tent on Midsummer Common (ish). Definitely worth doing.