Newbie bike-to-work schema

doublereds
doublereds Posts: 9
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Greetz all!

Just got myself registered here so I can start to feed off your biking knowledge :)

I'm 30 something and not owned a bike at least a decade, my last bike may well have been a Grifter!

Reason I'm here is because my work is doing a bike-to-work schema, so I have the opportunity to buy a half decent bike and get it for a good price.
By half decent I mean a couple/few hundred quid.... I know some people spend over double that, but they are what I would call "pro", or "rich" :)

I will be reading the beginners thread, get some useful info, and be reading here for routes, as I see on main page this site has some cycle routes.

Tbh I am a true newbie, I know there are mountain and road and hybrid, but not a lot about each, other than thicker tyres on the mountain ones.

As I live in London where mountains are few and far between, my guess is a road or hybrid would be best suited.

That is all for now - just stopping to say hello

See you on road!
[when I get my bike]

cheers!
ɹǝʌo llǝɟ noʎ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟI

Comments

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    hello!
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • doublereds wrote:
    my guess is a road or hybrid would be best suited.

What you need is a....Grifter! :wink:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    gbsahne wrote:
    or a chopper

Be lucky to get a Chopper for a couple of hundred quid - they have all been snapped by the Hoxton Crew :roll:
  • doublereds wrote:
    Greetz all!

Just got myself registered here so I can start to feed off your biking knowledge :)

I'm 30 something and not owned a bike at least a decade, my last bike may well have been a Grifter!

Reason I'm here is because my work is doing a bike-to-work schema, so I have the opportunity to buy a half decent bike and get it for a good price.
    By half decent I mean a couple/few hundred quid.... I know some people spend over double that, but they are what I would call "pro", or "rich" :)

I will be reading the beginners thread, get some useful info, and be reading here for routes, as I see on main page this site has some cycle routes.

Tbh I am a true newbie, I know there are mountain and road and hybrid, but not a lot about each, other than thicker tyres on the mountain ones.

As I live in London where mountains are few and far between, my guess is a road or hybrid would be best suited.

That is all for now - just stopping to say hello

See you on road!
    [when I get my bike]

cheers!

When you say a couple of hundred is that cost to you on the C2W or retail price? If retail then there's not a lot of choice at that level, I think you're verging on BSO territory. If £200 cost to you then you could get something for £3-400 retail which is better, I think at around that price you get the best value looking at big retailers ilke Halford and Decathlon. Take a look at Halfords Carrera range perhaps.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I had a chopper too, funky bikes, those new ones seen hoxton sides are lame clones, don't think they even have the middle gears.

I just found out what BSO is, and I think I want to steer clear of those, I seen those halford adverts for <£100 bikes, and guessed they just toys.
    I'd be happy to spend 300 or a little more, via the scheme, so I guess I get more for my money too.

What about suspensions, are front and/or back suspensions really needed for city rides would you say?

Cheers for info, I've seen the Carreras, some nice looking ones too, at the moment I only go for the look as not up to the tech, I'll obv take more into consideration though when buying.
    I also thought about Specialized ones, as a mate of mine has one which is nice, about 400 he paid, in shop, but few years ago now, bit I still see a lot of them ones on road so guessed they reasonable enough
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Consider a single speed in London too.

Something like
    http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products. ... 7283&rs=gb

£350 for a Paddy Wagon would be perfect for around town.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited September 2010
    doublereds wrote:
    What about suspensions, are front and/or back suspensions really needed for city rides would you say?

Neither if you're just on the road.

Specialized are absolutely fine, they're definitely bikes rather than BSOs
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • doublereds wrote:
    I had a chopper too, funky bikes, those new ones seen hoxton sides are lame clones, don't think they even have the middle gears.

I just found out what BSO is, and I think I want to steer clear of those, I seen those halford adverts for <£100 bikes, and guessed they just toys.
    I'd be happy to spend 300 or a little more, via the scheme, so I guess I get more for my money too.

Cheers for info, I've seen the Carreras, some nice looking ones too, at the moment I only go for the look as not up to the tech, I'll obv take more into consideration though when buying.
    I also thought about Specialized ones, as a mate of mine has one which is nice, about 400 he paid, in shop, but few years ago now, bit I still see a lot of them ones on road so guessed they reasonable enough

Suspension is a completely unnecessary gimmick unless you're going off road. Worse, it saps your energy and weighs a lot. If you look around you may be able tio get a good bargain on an end of year 2009 model at the moment - try net retailers like Wiggle, Chain Reaction Cycles, JE James etc etc....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Get a city bike - and upright position, hub gears that you don't need to clean, full chain-guard so you don't get your trousers dirty, basket for your items.
  • Nice one guys, good info!

I like the look of that paddy wagon bike, and the cost, a nice saving on that website, and they do the cycle work scheme, which i'm looking to get mine through as I don't even need to shell out a lump sum of hundreds.

Green is my colour too... Though I know not to buy a bike based on that alone!