More dopage raids in Italia

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2010 in Pro race
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?pa ... 32863&tp=n

Doping ring - Fairly big name pro cyclist arrested with 4 others, including a journalist.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• iainf72
    Enrico Rossi is one of those.

Ricco's brother in law.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Here we go again...
  • iainf72
    It gets better

The operation was called Cobra Red.

Yes, Red in Italian is Rossi.

Ricco-Rossi anyone?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    We'll see, sometimes these things come to nothing, or at least the authorities struggle to nail the crooks.

At the same time, if things go wrong then you can see Vacansoleil implode, either from the disgust of the sponsor, from criticism from fans and the media, or simply from race organisers and officials rejecting them. This is a team that is quick to open its chequebook and slow to ask questions, the standard response of "he's served his time" is fine in legal terms but for a team that's keen to impress, hiring idiots is not the way to go.
  • http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ation.html

I,for one, hope that this means Vacansoleil will drop him now. I have been impressed with them in the ToB and without Ricco they may even get into the ProTour.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    robert-sb wrote:

I,for one, hope that this means Vacansoleil will drop him now. I have been impressed with them in the ToB and without Ricco they may even get into the ProTour.

They didn't this year.

No reason why that would change next without Ricco.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Surely he cannot be that arrogant and stupid?
  • Gazzaputt wrote:

oh yes he can

lifetime ban a go go !
  • Gazzaputt wrote:

You reckon?
  • what a clown... get him gone.
  • wasnt he signed on the basis of an 'astronomical compensation fine' if found positive again ?

and didnt he only make his debut last weekend ?

you couldnt make it up !
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Worth pointing out that Enrico Rossi is also a pro cyclist on Ceramica Flaminia.

And the "journalist" is not a journalist, but Ricco's PR agent: http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?pa ... 32867&tp=n
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    While I believe that he will one day get busted again for doping, I would be shocked if it's quite so soon after coming back.

I would have thought he would at least TRY and cycle clean for a while and see how it goes before deciding if he needs to dope to be competitive.

Unless doping is that far ingrained into his DNA that he simply can't stop - like Lindsey Lohan coming out of rehab and hitting the clubs the next night.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited September 2010
    I think he's been with Vacansoleil too short for this to have a major impact on the team, although that does depend on how the team deals with this story. With the Mosquera signing they now rely less on Ricco as team leader. They need Mosquera more than they do Ricco - Mosquera puts them in the world ranking top 17
  • “To take this decision, we have made agreements with him, including screening [internal testing],” Luijkx explained. “The contract has a clause that Riccò agreed to, whereby in the case of a positive test, his contract would be immediately terminated and he would pay an astronomical fine for misconduct. By misconduct, that means the discrediting of the team and/or failure to comply with internal regulations."
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    These 'astronomical fines for misconduct' have been difficult to enforce in the past. As in never. PR guff.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    These 'astronomical fines for misconduct' have been difficult to enforce in the past. As in never. PR guff.

a lifetime ban might be easier
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:
    Worth pointing out that Enrico Rossi is also a pro cyclist on Ceramica Flaminia.

Who's had a fairly good two years since he signed for Ceramica and jumped from 339th to 85th in the CQ rankings, funnily enough. Up in Spring mini classics, up in short stage races, 6th behind Farrar in the bunch gallop in Scheldeprijs.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Kléber
    If VS didn't ask many questions about Ricco, what guarantees are there with Mosquera?

(answer: none, just a sackload of questions but that's off topic)
  • CN are at pains to point out that Ricco does not appear to be involved in the investigation.
    Rather, they have tended to focus their speculation on Vania Rossi.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:
    We'll see, sometimes these things come to nothing,.

+1

I think certain posters need to contain their excitement just a little.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    CN are at pains to point out that Ricco does not appear to be involved in the investigation.
    Rather, they have tended to focus their speculation on Vania Rossi.

In here little things that dont matter.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    guess we need to wait and see with this one. Wouldn't surprise me with this one if Ricco was involved. According to stories, and we all know any old rubbish can be made up on the net, Ricco used to dope as a juniour.

If this is true of Ricco the UCI need to look into

How did Ricco pass the Vacansoleil screening
    Why does Ricco still need to dope. Is it ingrained in him or is that the only way he can compete against other dopers[/list]
  • Kléber
    edited September 2010
    Moray Gub wrote:
    The peloton's most infamous doper sees both his brother-in-law and his agent nabbed by the NAS in an operation called "Cobra". It's understandable that people ask questions.
  • maybe ricco has stopped, just the people around him have not. Maybe we should just wait and see well happens before we start the linching.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    The peloton's most infamous doper sees both his brother-in-law and his agent nabbed by the NAS in an operation called "Cobra". It's understandable that people ask questions.

Well he has already copped a lifetime ban in this thread his girlfriend had child abuse allegations flung at her in another thread so i suppose a question or two aint gonna hurt him.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Well he has already copped a lifetime ban in this thread his girlfriend had child abuse allegations flung at her in another thread so i suppose a question or two aint gonna hurt him.

I am marching pitchfork and burning torch in hand, the group behind me is growing bigger
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

I am marching pitchfork and burning torch in hand, the group behind me is growing bigger

I'm in. Got a spare agricultural implement?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    The "Cobra-Red' name would also make sense if the investigation was sparked by the information Ricco gave to get a reduced sentence.

could have...

though spilling the beans on the mother of your child is harsh... but so is dumping her because she's a nuisance to your image...
  • Cobra Red could also indicate that Tricky Dicky is up to his old tricks and this is his red card moment......maybe not but ya never know